Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

6gunner

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 6, 2017
CO
My RPR barrel has almost 1200 rounds through it. I want to place an order now since the wait with some makers is at least couple of months. I was looking a a Patriot Valley barrel or Krieger. Anyone shooing one of these barrels? What are your thoughts?

10ring1

The Zohan
Belligerents
Aug 9, 2012
Yup. Pic of two cartridges is a home made modded case with bullet seated touching lands on the left. Right one is factory ammo. I noticed I really had to force the bolt closed from day one but I thought it just needed break in.
When you checked OAL, did u notice the significant difference in suggested vs what ur getting there? That is a very rare occurrence. Surprised the chamber didn't cause catastrophic failure as there is an obvious major issue.

Brent B

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Colorado
My RPR barrel has almost 1200 rounds through it. I want to place an order now since the wait with some makers is at least couple of months. I was looking a a Patriot Valley barrel or Krieger. Anyone shooing one of these barrels? What are your thoughts?
I am in the same boat. I am thinking about 6 Creed or 6 Dasher for replacements.

Carlos Danger

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
I chose 6 because I already had a 6.5. Dont see too much need for two of the same caliber. I was buying 200 rounds at a time (Hornady 108 ELD Match) from TargetSportsUSA and getting them for about a buck a round, with their annual memebership.

Reactions: dbraun89

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
After 3,700 rounds through my RPR, I swapped my factory barrel out for a Krieger SS 24" (installed it myself in about 1/2 hr) and now have 322 rounds through it as I recently found some loads giving me groups in the threes. A few more trips to the range ought to tell me if I'm going to be able to consistently get those kinds of groups (using hand loads for .308). Am very pleased with the barrel as I'm getting what I hoped for: more accuracy, higher velocities, easier cleaning. . . as well as good customer service.

It only took about a week to get the barrel from Krieger. So, it won't take long to get one from them . . . unless they happen to be out of stock at the time you order.

Brent B

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Colorado
After 3,700 rounds through my RPR, I swapped my factory barrel out for a Krieger SS 24" (installed it myself in about 1/2 hr) and now have 322 rounds through it as I recently found some loads giving me groups in the threes. A few more trips to the range ought to tell me if I'm going to be able to consistently get those kinds of groups (using hand loads for .308). Am very pleased with the barrel as I'm getting what I hoped for: more accuracy, higher velocities, easier cleaning. . . as well as good customer service.

It only took about a week to get the barrel from Krieger. So, it won't take long to get one from them . . . unless they happen to be out of stock at the time you order.
What kind of accuracy were you seeing from the stock barrel? and what kind of velocity increases are you seeing?

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017

Sweet. I have 3400 on my stock .308 and see consistent 1/2 moa or better, so I haven’t bothered to change. Consistent threes would be nice though. What kind of load are you using?

Reactions: 6gunner

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
Anyone have anything negative to say about PR carbon barrels before I order one? I was also looking at Dracos and Krieger as well.

Reactions: dbraun89

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
What kind of accuracy were you seeing from the stock barrel? and what kind of velocity increases are you seeing?
The factory barrel was giving me at and just a little under 1/2 in MOA. And I'm seeing around a 3% velocity increase on various loads.

Reactions: Brent B

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Anyone have anything negative to say about PR carbon barrels before I order one? I was also looking at Dracos and Krieger as well.
Before I got my Krieger barrrel, I was seriously considering the PR carbon barrel for my RPR. After a lot of research and careful consideration, I decided against it as I don't use my RPR for hunting. There's really only three advantages that I see: 1. Weight reduction 2. Reduced mirage coming off the barrel 3. Stiffer barrel

Oh, and guess 4th . . . it's cool looking.

Other than price, there's not much negative about the PR carbon fiber barrel. Just keep in mind that that carbon fiber wrapping around the steel core acts as an insulator and so the inside parts of the barrel don't cool down as fast as one might think since the outside doesn't feel as though anything is heating up much.

Last edited:

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Sweet. I have 3400 on my stock .308 and see consistent 1/2 moa or better, so I haven’t bothered to change. Consistent threes would be nice though. What kind of load are you using?
Short range it's 41.0 Varget with 168 SMK's and 43.6 Varget with 175 SMKs for beyond 600 yrds

PS: My factory barrel was still shooting accurately, I had just planned on making the change as some point and my birthday seeming like a good time to do it. :giggle:

Last edited:

Brent B

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Colorado
Short range it's 41.0 Varget with 168 SMK's and 43.6 Varget with 175 SMKs for beyond 600 yrds

PS: My factory barrel was still shooting accurately, I had just planned on making the change as some point and my birthday seeming like a good time to do it. :giggle:
Happy birthday!!! Nothing like a 24 inch birthday candle to brighten up your day:D

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
Before I got my Krieger barrrel, I was seriously considering the PR carbon barrel for my RPR. After a lot of research and careful consideration, I decided against it as I don't use my RPR for hunting. There's really only three advantages that I see: 1. Weight reduction 2. Reduced mirage coming off the barrel 3. Stiffer barrel

Oh, and guess 4th . . . it's cool looking.

Other than price, there's not much negative about the PR carbon fiber barrel. Just keep in mind that that carbon fiber wrapping around the steel core acts as an insulator and so the inside parts of the barrel don't cool down as fast as one might think since the outside doesn't feel as though anything is heating up much.
I wont be using my RPR for hunting either and all of your points are valid except that to me you just described the perfect precision barrel. I'll only take my 6.5 out to maybe 1500m. Anything beyond that, I'll buy a Gen3 in 338LM.

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ
I wont be using my RPR for hunting either and all of your points are valid except that to me you just described the perfect precision barrel. I'll only take my 6.5 out to maybe 1500m. Anything beyond that, I'll buy a Gen3 in 338LM.
The two factors that were the deal breaker for me was:

1. Except for hunting, I didn't want to reduce the weight of my gun in order to keep recoil down (which would be particularly important for something like a 338 . . . mine is .308).

2. I live and shoot in Arizona where temps while shooting can be quite high and don't want a barrel that gets hot fast and cools down slow.

Reactions: GA_medic

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
The two factors that were the deal breaker for me was:

1. Except for hunting, I didn't want to reduce the weight of my gun in order to keep recoil down (which would be particularly important for something like a 338 . . . mine is .308).

2. I live and shoot in Arizona where temps while shooting can be quite high and don't want a barrel that gets hot fast and cools down slow.
That makes sense. I wondered the same about the heat cycles on it. I wont be shooting in rapid succession and will likely be under the cover of a ranges bench rest. My 6.5 isnt all that heavy at 16.2 lbs. I'll look into a Krieger instead. Thanks for the input.

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017

Nice! I load up 190 SMKs with 42.5 gr Varget and just let them rip a hole at any distance

Netman8718

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2018
Indiana
Today I shot five rounds at 400 yards. Load is 40 grain H4350, Berger 105 VLD Target with WLR primers. FPS 2833
Shot off one of my precision match obstacles. Not rock steady. BallisticsARC called for .1 click for windage which I did not dial in. Scope at 1.7
The bullet impact I’m pointing at was one of three extra rounds I had loaded up with 42 grains of H4350. First two were off target so I turned scope from 1.7 to 1.3 and bullseye.
I’m going to try some different primers & loads to get my FPS up.
I did the RPR trigger spring removal and the trigger is lighter however I would like to see it even more lighter.
I have been dry firing a couple hundred times a day during this cold blast. Getting to know the rifle better every day.

Attachments

Hardpan

Rent this space
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 1, 2013
CA
Also today I ordered the 419 ARCA rail for my rifle. This should help it sit flat and not roll around side to side.
Very nice! Catalyst Arms made a new handguard that’s very interesting. I may look into one.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
Gulf Coast, FL
I’d get a Proof through Stockys the next time they run a 10% off sale. I put one on my buddies RPR and it shoots as good with the cheapest Hornady factory ammo (American Gunner) as the LRI I put on one of mine did with handloads.

With the additional 10% they run almost any and all holidays or occasion they’re less than $400 for a premium cut rifled barrel. I don’t see any reason to pay more for anything else unless you’re dead set on a length or chambering that they don’t offer.

EzGoingKev

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2017
Proof recently became a brand on ExpertVoice (formerly Experticity).

If you qualify for ExpertVoice and want an invite PM me.

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
All of my new parts just came in for my build. Last thing to order is my Krieger barrel and then everything will be sent off for Cerakote and reassembly. Then it will be time to start shooting.

notez2beat

Private
Belligerents
Nov 10, 2017
Quick question because I’m not home to measure....what length cleaning rod do I need for an RPR with 24” barrel?
Thanks!!

Brent B

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Colorado
Quick question because I’m not home to measure....what length cleaning rod do I need for an RPR with 24” barrel?
Thanks!!
tip of muzzle break to the back of breech when stock is folded is 37.5 inches in my RPR 243 so add several inches. however Ruger says the 243 is a 26 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Reactions: notez2beat

dbraun89

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 26, 2017
Missouri
Reactions: theaoguy

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
I have one on the way. The 20 MOA rails are 2 weeks out from shipping. My factory base is canted untrue from the bore. Found out after using a spuhr ISMS on my AXMC and moved the scope to my RPR and realized the Reticle was off. Something to check on your RPRs!
That's something I havent thought about. I think something is off about mine.

dfp dfp

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019

I just put a Krieger on mine and love it....
I got a 26" bull with a 7.5 twist off the shelf because I didn't want to wait months for it...

Had one thing to adapt too that I didn't like at first...but like it better after I found mags I could fit 2.85 in...

Reactions: 6gunner

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
What’s goin on with yours?
I have a pic bubble that hangs off the side to level the rifle. Then I have a separate bubble that I can sit on top of the turret. When I level everything out, my eye sees the reticle being off by maybe a hair. I have yet to take it somewhere that I can reference the reticle against to make sure its level.

I'm going to pick up a Knights Armament level and see if that is any better.

dbraun89

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 26, 2017
Missouri
I have a pic bubble that hangs off the side to level the rifle. Then I have a separate bubble that I can sit on top of the turret. When I level everything out, my eye sees the reticle being off by maybe a hair. I have yet to take it somewhere that I can reference the reticle against to make sure its level.

I'm going to pick up a Knights Armament level and see if that is any better.
The only true way to tell is to level the Reticle to plumb line and then go with it. I’ve got the anarchy outdoors 20 moa scope base awaiting shipment. Hoping it’s higher quality.

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
The only true way to tell is to level the Reticle to plumb line and then go with it. I’ve got the anarchy outdoors 20 moa scope base awaiting shipment. Hoping it’s higher quality.
I just received my ambidextrous safety switch and custom engraved titanium shroud from them. Great customer service and they shipped fast. I was eyeballing that same rail with the bubble but I'm more inclined to buy that add on bubble level and sit it right under my scope.

Netman8718

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2018
Indiana
Gamedic your better off with the level set up under the scope. I bought a Vortex level that mounts on my Razor. I can’t see it when I’m looking through the scope. I have to move my head out to see it. I noticed this at my first match last week when I had to shoot of a large tractor tire. I laid down with my rifle stretched across the tire. The shot was over 500 yds and I couldn’t see the level. I was shooting at a KYL rack. I hit the first three but missed the last two both times through. After shooting I got up and seen my level was pegged to the right. I got to rethink this...

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
Gamedic your better off with the level set up under the scope. I bought a Vortex level that mounts on my Razor. I can’t see it when I’m looking through the scope. I have to move my head out to see it. I noticed this at my first match last week when I had to shoot of a large tractor tire. I laid down with my rifle stretched across the tire. The shot was over 500 yds and I couldn’t see the level. I was shooting at a KYL rack. I hit the first three but missed the last two both times through. After shooting I got up and seen my level was pegged to the right. I got to rethink this...
That's what I was thinking as well. The level I put on my turret is just a simple level that I set on the scope to make sure everything is balanced and then take it off.

Hardpan

Rent this space
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 1, 2013
CA
I have the same issue and just started practicing to keep the butt pad in my shoulder at the same angle to keep the rifle uncanted. This way I don’t have to rely on a level. You could look into a Spuhr Mount, a Send It LED level, or the new AO base rail with level. I use a Spuhr Mount so it has the included level in the mount.

ironsight1000yard

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 19, 2017
Today took some pics of my 223 of the gun and mag. The front top of the mags are touching the bottom of the barrel?

That is why it is so hard to sit the mags. I thought may be the gun is out of spec but then I look at my RPR 6.5 it sticks up into the mag well just the same.

So are the mags out of spec? If I Dremel off a bit off the lip they should be fine? But what if I use steel mags? It is much harder to remove material, and it might not be a good idea? So who makes a good steel mag for this? I think it is AICS style?

I am trying to see whether I can just do some Dremel work or send it back.
IMG_20190202_220927_1.jpgIMG_20190202_221309.jpg

Last edited:

GA_medic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Atlanta, Ga.
If anyone needs a factory trigger, aluminum bolt shroud, or muzzle break I have them and will be happy to ship them out free of charge.

Hardpan

Rent this space
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 1, 2013
CA
If anyone needs a factory trigger, aluminum bolt shroud, or muzzle break I have them and will be happy to ship them out free of charge.
I just kept mine for a backup, especially the trigger. They don’t take up much space in the range bag when I go to a comp

Netman8718

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2018
Indiana
Yesterday I bought a brick of Federal Gold Medal 210 Match primers. I loaded up a five pack of Berger 105 VLD target, 42 grain of H4350, GM210M with Hornady neck sized only brass. This combo shot really good at 400 yards. I was calling this load my match load. According to BallisticsARC and my scope dial the load is around 3000 FPS.
good group!
Yesterday I had bought a box of Hornady 105 HPBT Match bullets to try due to cost vs the Bergers. About 13-15 dollars a box cheaper. I figured these to be my practice ammo if they worked out.
So today I loaded up five Hornady 105 BTHP, 42 grains of H4350, GM 210M and neck sized Hornady brass. I shot them at 400 yds. I figured 3000 FPS. I took a photo of the group. Aiming at the white dot. It appears they are a little faster than 3000 FPS with 1.5 on my scope.
I think I just found me a new bullet. I also believe the Federal GM210m primers are the go to primer for this combo.

Attachments

dfp dfp

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
If that's the best you can do at 400 yrds...you are gonna have to tighten up or you're off the team...

Nice work....looks like you may have found your go to....looks good

Reactions: Netman8718

10ring1

The Zohan
Belligerents
Aug 9, 2012
Yesterday I bought a brick of Federal Gold Medal 210 Match primers. I loaded up a five pack of Berger 105 VLD target, 42 grain of H4350, GM210M with Hornady neck sized only brass. This combo shot really good at 400 yards. I was calling this load my match load. According to BallisticsARC and my scope dial the load is around 3000 FPS.
good group!
Yesterday I had bought a box of Hornady 105 HPBT Match bullets to try due to cost vs the Bergers. About 13-15 dollars a box cheaper. I figured these to be my practice ammo if they worked out.
So today I loaded up five Hornady 105 BTHP, 42 grains of H4350, GM 210M and neck sized Hornady brass. I shot them at 400 yds. I figured 3000 FPS. I took a photo of the group. Aiming at the white dot. It appears they are a little faster than 3000 FPS with 1.5 on my scope.
I think I just found me a new bullet. I also believe the Federal GM210m primers are the go to primer for this combo.

I too use railroad plates for metal targets.

Netman8718

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2018
Indiana
I live in coal mine country. The iron plates use to be laying everywhere but the scrap metal prices a few years ago dissolved the supply. I’ve got a few extras and know where a few more are.

Reactions: 10ring1

10ring1

The Zohan
Belligerents
Aug 9, 2012
The recyclers around here stopped taking them because people we're showing up with truckloads and the railroad was claiming it was theft. They do hold up well...