Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

CV_Ag

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
I just found the video on YouTube and that lets you see the guys email in the video description. He’s charging $450 for the stocks. Kinda pricey but I’ll hand it to him, it looks pretty nice.

Twoodman66

New Hide Member
Sep 28, 2018
Ty. I was putting don@ in front. Maybe he’d be willing to do a group buy??? Because that is kinda pricey for this/my setup. Albeit he’s probably got a ton of time and $ into fabrication

CV_Ag

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
A group by also entered my mind. I’d love one but not for 450. I agree, he probably is a small shop and huge costly machines. Not a big Corp that’s able to mass produce.

Mountainbum

For Sale Access
Mar 27, 2018
Anyone swapped out the factory muzzle brake for an aftermarket? Easy to get off? If so, what did you go with? Thx
I have the gen 1 and put the accessory muzzle brake on that you can get from Ruger. ( you may already have that one on yours) was pretty easy getting it off. As far as your install goes that all depends on what your putting on. If using crush washers, getting the right thickness before tightening can be tricky, because you want your ports horizontal and torque to line up. Don’t forget your loc title. I put mine on hillbilly style and scratched my barrel’s finish slightly, so get a proper vise. Your local gunsmith would welcome the business too.

ken4570tc in WY

Sergeant of the Hide
Aug 30, 2018
Wheatland, Wyoming
Anyone swapped out the factory muzzle brake for an aftermarket? Easy to get off? If so, what did you go with? Thx
I unscrewed the thread protector and installed a Stealth Engineering Group Competition Hancock stainless suppressor rated for full auto. Haven't figured out how to make full auto work with a bolt action but it should be about as tough a can as I could get.

Last edited:

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Feb 13, 2017
Just stick a screwdriver through it and turn it counter clockwise. Might have to hit the handle once or twice with a hammer. Done.

I like to use a nut instead of crush washers as the nut can aid in timing and be reused

trob_205

Sergeant of the Hide
Jul 11, 2013
Coldwater, MI
I’m switching my Lapua brass to be shot out of my Havak. I have Hornady brass I’m going to load up for the RPR. Anyone using 140 eld with H4350 and Hornady brass? What’s your charge weight? Previously it liked 43.1 with Lapua brass but I know there is some volume differences between the two. Might also be trying some MR-2000 to try to squeeze some extra speed out of the 17” bbl.

Bmoore0062

New Hide Member
Sep 30, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
I’m switching my Lapua brass to be shot out of my Havak. I have Hornady brass I’m going to load up for the RPR. Anyone using 140 eld with H4350 and Hornady brass? What’s your charge weight? Previously it liked 43.1 with Lapua brass but I know there is some volume differences between the two. Might also be trying some MR-2000 to try to squeeze some extra speed out of the 17” bbl.
Just out of curiosity how many loads did you get out of your Lapua brass?

CV_Ag

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
I’m using Prime/Norma brass with the 140 ELDm and 4350. Currently having good luck with 42.2 gr. Hope that helps.

Sep 24, 2017
Scottsdale Az
Sin Arms warning
I sent a bolt in for work a month ago and have tried to contact them with no success. Looks like I should have done more research on them. FYI for you.

Update on Sin Arms- they sent me a note today that they were out hunting and will have my bold done today and mailed.

Update on Sin Arms, Ruger Precision bolt was returned by Sin Arms, as promised, excellent work on the fluting and with the microslick the bolt is very smooth in the receiver. Well done and I am very pleased with the work. If you are interested, might check with them first on turnaround time. Facebook page was what i got through to them on.

Last edited:

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Feb 13, 2017
There’s a dude over on rugerforum.net who has a buddy who works for Ruger in NH who confirmed he was firing a .338 RPR. Said it was loud as fuck. Can’t wait to see that thing hit the shelves

ViP

New Hide Member
Mar 15, 2018
Canada
Loose bolt shroud Gen 3 RPR 6.5CM
My RPR has seen approximately 60 rounds and the bolt shroud is very loose. I disassembled it and reinstalled it and it’s still loose. I contacted the Ruger USA and they referred me to their Repair center in Canada (where I am). The repair center responded saying that it was normal.

It was not loose when I purchased the rifle. Ha anyone else had this problem? Ia this a problem? How is it remedied?

Dec 7, 2013
Have a question for the 6mm CR shooters that are using Factory Hornady 108 ELD-M ammo. Went to the range yesterday and had 40 rounds on the RPR barrel prior to this trip. The problem was the 108's were hard to close the bolt and upon examination they are marking the bullet in the ogive area. So my question is. Is this normal for the 108's, or do you think the free bore is too tight. The factory Hornady's measured are 2.792 on average.

trob_205

Sergeant of the Hide
Jul 11, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Have a question for the 6mm CR shooters that are using Factory Hornady 108 ELD-M ammo. Went to the range yesterday and had 40 rounds on the RPR barrel prior to this trip. The problem was the 108's were hard to close the bolt and upon examination they are marking the bullet in the ogive area. So my question is. Is this normal for the 108's, or do you think the free bore is too tight. The factory Hornady's measured are 2.792 on average.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/rpr-6mm-creedmoor-freebore.3930200/

trob_205

Sergeant of the Hide
Jul 11, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Has anyone put the rail on their handguard to have a full length dovetail system for bipods etc? I know Sawtooth Rifles makes one for the RPR. Anyone have experience with these or recommendations?
Sawtooths are very nice. A touch heavy but hey, who cares lol

Attachments

CV_Ag

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Thanks! I also wasn’t sure because Sawtooth says they have them for the gen 1 & 2 but says they’re both keymod. I thought gen 2 was m-lok which is what I have. Too many stupid generations! Wonder if it’ll still work with some modification

Top Bottom