Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

ViP

New Hide Member
Mar 15, 2018
Canada
Hard case for a folded 6.5 CM RPR

Would a folded RPR (about 6” thick) fit in a Pelican Storm iM3200 that is 6” deep (interior dimension) or a Nanuck 990 that is also 6” deep? I would prefer these “shorter” cases if a folded RPR can comfortably fit in them. Anyone store their folded RPR in a hard case? If so, what is the model and interior depth of your case? Thanks.

pell1203

Dec 27, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Can anyone measure/provide the minimum length of pull achievable with a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock mounted on an 6.5 CM/6 CM/.308 Win RPR?

My current RPR stock LOP is set at 14” but I seem to remember coming across some postings that claim the minimum they could set them to was 15” which would obviously not meet my needs. It would be great to get some actual measurements.

Jun 26, 2012
N. Carolina
Can anyone measure/provide the minimum length of pull achievable with a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock mounted on an 6.5 CM/6 CM/.308 Win RPR?

My current RPR stock LOP is set at 14” but I seem to remember coming across some postings that claim the minimum they could set them to was 15” which would obviously not meet my needs. It would be great to get some actual measurements.
Ill get it for you in the morning. I wanna say 14”.

Matt_S

New Hide Member
May 3, 2018

Mine measures 14.25” with the cut mod done to it. 1537499581896.jpeg

pell1203

Dec 27, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Thanks guys... looks like it is either a chop on a Magpul PRS or a Luth AR MBA 1 or 3 stock. None of these options feel perfect for me at this point and all require some level of compromise. Think I will just keep the original factory stock on it for now and live with its deficiencies for the time being until something better comes along. Thanks for the inputs.

Dirty8404

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 17, 2018
Had to share this group I shot today at 600. A little low due to the cooler temperatures, but I expected that and just didn’t bother adjusting. Hoping that one far left is my cold bore. The other four are just over an inch. This was the .308 with 190 SMK.
I just got done with a case of 190gr Nosler customs comps I loaded over 4064, it did well for me on steel and coyotes. Have you considered switching to the 178 ELD? I will be this fall, very similar BC and higher possible speeds.

Sep 3, 2017
Christiansburg, VA
Thanks guys... looks like it is either a chop on a Magpul PRS or a Luth AR MBA 1 or 3 stock. None of these options feel perfect for me at this point and all require some level of compromise. Think I will just keep the original factory stock on it for now and live with its deficiencies for the time being until something better comes along. Thanks for the inputs.
Some other options to look at would be stock from XLR Industries, the MDT Skeleton Carbine stock, and the LMT Carbine DMR stock. They should all be able to be set up with a LOP similar to the factory stock, possibly shorter, especially if you were to use XLRs shortened tube with their stock. I would probably call or email LMT about their to confirm length of pull before ordering, as there is very little info posted on their website.

For what it's worth, I tried several aftermarket stocks, including the Gen 3 PRS and the Luth-AR, and ended up settling back on the factory stock.

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Feb 13, 2017
I just got done with a case of 190gr Nosler customs comps I loaded over 4064, it did well for me on steel and coyotes. Have you considered switching to the 178 ELD? I will be this fall, very similar BC and higher possible speeds.
I tried some of a buddy’s 178 ELD once at 1000 and they performed really well. Even on an October day when it was pretty cold and a bit breezy. I’d definitely recommend them.

Mdxj

New Hide Member
Aug 20, 2018
Utah
Finally got the chance to try her at 1k yards. Took a class over the weekend since I'm new to the long range game. Once I got strelok calibrated (needed to adjust the bc) I was able to hit a 3 moa plate consistently from 200 to 1k yards. The wind kept changing which added a fun element! I'm really liking the Anarchy vertical grip too. More comfortable then several AR grips I've tried. IMG_20180922_173144_472.jpg

Xandrosi

New Hide Member
Jun 28, 2018
Now at the point where I'm looking at a good scope for my RPR and thinking about how to best mount it for precision shooting. Are Stehr scope mounts worth the price? While I generally take the view, "buy once cry once," if there's another single piece that people recommend, I'd appreciate the advice.

LongRangeLefty

Shoots heavy loads..
Feb 13, 2017
A
Now at the point where I'm looking at a good scope for my RPR and thinking about how to best mount it for precision shooting. Are Stehr scope mounts worth the price? While I generally take the view, "buy once cry once," if there's another single piece that people recommend, I'd appreciate the advice.
A lot of us are using one piece mounts on the RPR. I’m using a Warne mount that has been solid and has served me well for at least a good couple years now

Mountainbum

For Sale Access
Mar 27, 2018
I was hesitant to get the Anarchy Outdoors Vertical Grip at first, but I am so glad that I did. It is so comfortable in the hand and puts my trigger finger in the perfect position to break the shot. It was well worth the $35
Nice! I just ordered one. Been looking at the MPA VIDEO on YouTube where he was explaining it yesterday, and liked it but didn’t know you could get it to fit the RPR. Plan on up grading to an MPA in the future, will be good to be already familiar with the vertical grip when I transition over. One question, can’t quite tell in the photo, but is that a JP enterprise hand guard on your RPR?

Sep 3, 2017
Christiansburg, VA
Nice! I just ordered one. Been looking at the MPA VIDEO on YouTube where he was explaining it yesterday, and liked it but didn’t know you could get it to fit the RPR. Plan on up grading to an MPA in the future, will be good to be already familiar with the vertical grip when I transition over. One question, can’t quite tell in the photo, but is that a JP enterprise hand guard on your RPR?
It looks like a standard Gen 2 RPR handguard.

Feb 16, 2017
Shawnee, Oklahoma
The Anarchy Outdoors Vertical Grip is different than the MPA grip. Here's a pic of the Anarchy Outdoors grip
19__24301.1532130436.jpg

spatrick02

For Sale Access
Sep 26, 2018
It doesn't like the 140 and 147 ELDs specifically or those bullet weights? My rifle loves the Hornady 140gr bthp. May give them a try if you haven't already. The 130gr Prime seem to do very well also as mentioned above.
Specifically the ELD's. It shot the 140gr BTHP american gunner's decent, but not great. I'll have to try the primes.

trob_205

Sergeant of the Hide
Jul 11, 2013
Coldwater, MI
I was looking into getting one. How do you like it?
For the money it’s not a bad little peice of glass. Especially for more of a “hunting” scope (Optional capped windage and lightweight). It’s biggest shortcoming is eye relief changes quite a bit when cycling through the magnification. Most of it coming sub 12x so not a huge deal but still noticeable. Also on highest power the picture go a little dark. Not a surprise to me because of the price and definitely not any different than any other sub $1200 scope I’ve looked through. If you’re looking for a scope that fits the light weight tactical/LR hunting scope in the $1000 price point it’s worth a look.

Feb 16, 2017
Shawnee, Oklahoma
That’s the factory hand guard with the area 419 area rail on it

spatrick02

For Sale Access
Sep 26, 2018
I do not reload so all I shoot is factory ammo. I have tried a bunch of different ammo.

At 100 yards my rifle shoots the best groups with the Hornady 120g ammo. Have you tested different ammo at longer ranges?
No, I haven't had the chance to test it at longer ranges yet. Hopefully soon.

trob_205

Sergeant of the Hide
Jul 11, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Is anyone running a razor HD 2 4.5-27 on a gen 1 RPR? If so, what rings or mount are you using?
I had one on mine for awhile. But i used a Leupold MK2 IMS base and the rings I used previously on my Rem 700 build. I think they were like 1” tall Vortex/Seekins Rings. If you don’t use a thick lense cover you can use the standard 1.45” AR height stuff. If you use a thick objective lense cover then you might have make sure to you get 1.5”+ rings.

seansmd

New Hide Member
Aug 8, 2018
Hard case for a folded 6.5 CM RPR

Would a folded RPR (about 6” thick) fit in a Pelican Storm iM3200 that is 6” deep (interior dimension) or a Nanuck 990 that is also 6” deep? I would prefer these “shorter” cases if a folded RPR can comfortably fit in them. Anyone store their folded RPR in a hard case? If so, what is the model and interior depth of your case? Thanks.

I have this one..... https://www.peakcase.com/peakcase-ruger-precision-rifle-case1.html

seansmd

New Hide Member
Aug 8, 2018
That's a nice case, and at 14 lbs it's not that heavy for a hard case. I ended up going with a soft padded case for back and forth to the range. Don't need that much padding since it just sits in the car.
Agreed, I have a soft drag bag, this more for travel, etc.

pell1203

Dec 27, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I have a Nanuk 990 and my 6.5 CM RPR topped with an Athlon Cronus BTR fits just fine folded after you contour cut the foam to account for the additional thickness of the fold.

Plenty of room in case for suppressor in pouch, 4 magazines, bipod, and bolt as well.

Top Bottom