Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Feb 13, 2017
Quick question for you guys that have used the aerosol duracoat. I’m just looking to do my barrel soon.

If I use masking tape to mask it off, can I let the duracoat dry and still be able to remove the tape, or do I have to remove it while it’s wet or at least tacky? I know part of the paint is epoxy, so I don’t want the tape to be forever stuck to the barrel.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2017
^ It may be different for an aftermarket barrel, but when my barrel nut came loose on its own, I torqued it back to 70 ft/lbs. A common torque for precision rifles. It’s performed great for me since.

Dec 13, 2017
Catskill Mountains NY
In march I bought the kestrel 5700 ballistics,now they have an RPR model any chancel we could download the RPR gun profiles ? Mine unit has not left the house yet still getting my shit organized and I'm a greenhorn at this stuff.. I shoot an rpr 6.5 and looking at the new hawkeye as well.

trob_205

Bumblebeetuna
Jul 11, 2013
Coldwater, MI
I posted this in the main bolt gun form but figured I post it hear too since it’s the magpul PRS stock is popular on the RPRs. I have hated how long the Gen 3 PRS is on the RPR, but I really dig the stock itself (like the fully adjasble butt pad and overall feel) so a buddy of mine that has the same issue on his RPR googled it and found a picture on another forum of a guy chopping the carbine tube adapter for the PRS. Brainstormed for a day or two on how I would do it and wah-lah. Lost just under an inch of LOP with a fairly simple mod (chop and recontour) to the carbine tube adapter. You could probably take it down shorter with some modding to the stock adjustment lug on the carbine tube by the looks of it. Here’s some pics of it finished.

Attachments

EDA

New Hide Member
May 4, 2018
Because of an estate legal action, I have to give up the custom .308 bolt my best friend left me - 5 years after the fact (really?). Damn nice rifle, but as an OK shooter, I could get .750 MOA consistently and in consecutive five round groups. The rifle clearly outshot me, but I was on a plywood bench with bags. I imagine it is a 3/8 MOA rifle. I spent a lot of time learning to shoot that thing, and was ready to get on the ground and build dope. It has been a devastating loss for several reasons. However, I went to the range today and put my practice on the same bench to my less magnified, shorter barrel, less than perfect trigger RPR 1 and shot 5 consecutive groups averaging .700 MOA. I had a extra crazy group for me in there at below 3/8." Kick that one out and the other 4 groups put me about .780 average. I feel much better, as I'm sure as my ability increases, I could get either rifle sub .5 MOA with factory rounds. That is all I need. Thanks, Ruger.

SoulSkinner

New Hide Member
May 4, 2018
Tasmanian Tiger DBL Modular Rifle Bag.
It holds two rifles at least.
Sometimes I put my VZ58 sub compact in the big outside pocket and the Glock in the small one additionally. 7751331a-600x600.jpg
Great to carry on your back as well.

Panotaker

New Hide Member
Mar 29, 2018
In march I bought the kestrel 5700 ballistics,now they have an RPR model any chancel we could download the RPR gun profiles ? Mine unit has not left the house yet still getting my shit organized and I'm a greenhorn at this stuff.. I shoot an rpr 6.5 and looking at the new hawkeye as well.
Don't feel bad. I bought my 5700 Elite last week straight from Kestrel. If I knew this model was coming out, I would have got this one. I'll be calling them on Monday to see if the software is available, or if I can swap it.

Jul 20, 2017
I love the purple. Have a picture of the rifle itself? I was actually thinking about getting mine done in a purple and would love to see how it looks
I have a purple thing going on for sure. I have a ton of stuff this particular color. House of Kolor Passion Purple Pearl. I 2 toned it with straight black. I'm using Cerakote MC-161 matte clear over top.

Feb 13, 2017
Nice Rifle.... It's nice to see even the Transgender peeps are getting into the sport. 😀

I dunno. I like my rifle looking as it would, appearance wise, for a tactical operation. However, at the same time, I like to see someone make a hot rod of theirs as well. It’s damn fine to look at, and I’ve seen the pics as soon as his rifle was completed. Big fan. And if he’s manly enough to sport a pearl purple rifle, more power to him. JMO

Jul 20, 2017
I dunno. I like my rifle looking as it would, appearance wise, for a tactical operation. However, at the same time, I like to see someone make a hot rod of theirs as well. It’s damn fine to look at, and I’ve seen the pics as soon as his rifle was completed. Big fan. And if he’s manly enough to sport a pearl purple rifle, more power to him. JMO
Thanks. I wear pink shirts too. ;)

Seriously, I have tactical guns. These custom rifles are my fun and I enjoy them being different.

Dec 13, 2017
Catskill Mountains NY
Don't feel bad. I bought my 5700 Elite last week straight from Kestrel. If I knew this model was coming out, I would have got this one. I'll be calling them on Monday to see if the software is available, or if I can swap it.
Got a reply from @kestrel on YouTube reguarding an upgrade and we are basically screwed .. won't be available. You would think for a fee we could upgrade/download software to our still, Brand spanking new units... mine is 7 weeks old taken 30 yards out my front door 2x's for maybe 20 minutes has a trade in value of 103.00 ....But I can ugrade to the Elite....I'm not shooting 2 miles maybe 1 but mostly 400 to 1000yards right here on the farm when I get all my gear lined up and start enjoying myself. MAKE THE RUGER GUN PROFILES AVAILABLE FOR A FEE AND YOU WILL STILL SELL THE NEW Ruger MODELS AND KEEP THE BALLISTICS AND ELITE BUYERS HAPPY. JACK

Panotaker

New Hide Member
Mar 29, 2018
After playing with my Kestrel for a few days, and watching that video a few times, I think it is just a gimmick. All you are picking is the name of the gun, all the other information you enter is the same as a regular 5700. If it does anything different, it doesn't explain what it is in the video. So I'm not going to worry about it. Today I got the Bushnell Elite Tactical Conx range finder. Now that thing is cool. Once you link it to your Kestrel, it puts your yardage right on the Kestrel via Bluetooth. It also puts in the elevation angle if you are shooting uphill or downhill.

Dec 13, 2017
Catskill Mountains NY
After playing with my Kestrel for a few days, and watching that video a few times, I think it is just a gimmick. All you are picking is the name of the gun, all the other information you enter is the same as a regular 5700. If it does anything different, it doesn't explain what it is in the video. So I'm not going to worry about it. Today I got the Bushnell Elite Tactical Conx range finder. Now that thing is cool. Once you link it to your Kestrel, it puts your yardage right on the Kestrel via Bluetooth. It also puts in the elevation angle if you are shooting uphill or downhill.
I have the CONX as well the new Ruger kestrel will have all of the Ruger model info pre loaded all the shooter needs to do is input cartridge info and range. For me I shoot RPR , RUGER AMERICAN, and looking for the new HAWKEYE . Maybe they will figure out an update would be helpfull.

Last edited:
So I tore mine down to the bones to finally clean out the Colorado dirt from shooting with @Lowlight and after I put it back together.....the safety doesn’t work. It won’t go back to safe. I use a seekins ambi safety and I also put the factory one back in and the same thing. Anyone see this before? Trigger still functions and I can move the safety with the lower off but when it’s assembled it doesn’t work.
Any possibility you put it in backwards. When I first installed mine I went with the direction the exterior parts were mounted. Turns out they were backwards, so I installed the whole assembly backwards and it would not move to safe. Once I turned it around everything works fine.

Oct 22, 2017
I posted this in the main bolt gun form but figured I post it hear too since it’s the magpul PRS stock is popular on the RPRs. I have hated how long the Gen 3 PRS is on the RPR, but I really dig the stock itself (like the fully adjasble butt pad and overall feel) so a buddy of mine that has the same issue on his RPR googled it and found a picture on another forum of a guy chopping the carbine tube adapter for the PRS. Brainstormed for a day or two on how I would do it and wah-lah. Lost just under an inch of LOP with a fairly simple mod (chop and recontour) to the carbine tube adapter. You could probably take it down shorter with some modding to the stock adjustment lug on the carbine tube by the looks of it. Here’s some pics of it finished.
I did the same thing...Only I didn't chop off the buffer tube, just 'sanded' it down enough it fit. PRSmod2.jpg PRSmod1.jpg

Feb 13, 2017
What is the best factory ammo to use in a rpr 308

I tried hornandy sst150's and had decent results but nothing amazing like I read about.
When I was using factory I shot a .177” with noster custom competition 168 bipod and bag, but normal results were 1/2 MOA. I’m also seeing 1/2 MOA loading 190 SMK

Jul 27, 2017
I have a Gen1 and found the trigger a little heavier than I wanted. After seeing someone on the internet had cut a few coils off the spring I did the same. It felt great and measured out a 1 pound. It was THE best factory trigger I have used.

I installed MPA EVG and noticed some creep in the trigger. I figured I would give the Timney a try. Right now I am getting used to the EVG but to be honest I am not blown away by the Timney.

Top Bottom