Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly

Sainte70

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2018
What would you put into the calculator for a Burris 25moa base on a Sendero barrel? That is the part that is a little more guesswork. Have a Steiner 4-16x56 the bell is 64.7mm. Have the choice of rings of 1 inch or 1.25. The 1 inch will be really close. Should probably get the 1.25? Whats a .3 gap.
Can you find 1.18” rings?

DJL2

Hurricane 6
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Center of the Military Universe
How far in front the the front ring does the bell extend and what is the height differential between barrel and mount at that length? You can calculate the effective objective OD doing a little trig and, presumably, measure the latter. Pretty straight forward math, or you can just swag it - half a degree down angle isn’t going to make a huge difference unless you were extremely close to begin with.

barronian

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2019
Hummmm…. my problem isn't calculating the clearance for the objective end of the scope …. its guessing the clearance needed for the bolt action(plus finger) on the CZ455. Can mount the scope low, looks great … just cant use the gun ;-(

Noobshooter86

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2018
Hey guys, does anyone know the ring height needed for a 10/22 tactical with vortex copperhead scope? 44mm 1" tube...thanks very much!

Fooddudebob

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2019
Texas
Hey y’all, on ring height, I’m pretty new to shooting precision style rifles, and I have yet to shoot a match, in your option would it be better to have a higher mounting option for a more upright position, or would you prefer to have a lower mount? Thanks for taking my question

Sniper266

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Apr 16, 2018
California
www.california.gov
Hey y’all, on ring height, I’m pretty new to shooting precision style rifles, and I have yet to shoot a match, in your option would it be better to have a higher mounting option for a more upright position, or would you prefer to have a lower mount? Thanks for taking my question
Your head position will ultimately come from your cheekweld. No matter if you are prone or standing, you will rest that cheekbone on your rifle stock.

That being said, having an adjustable stock to raise or lower the cheek rest is helpfull because you can generally get rings as high or as low as you need to. If your stock is not adjustable i would error on the higher side of scope rings. You can always build your stock up, but you cannot take material away. AR’s are a good example of needing higher rings.

I have also found that if the scope sits too high, the butt on the rifle will sit lower in my shoulder and on my collarbone instead of in my pocket.

So after all of this, i prefer scope rings that are as low as possible for scope clearance AND allow me to have proper cheekweld.

To answer your question, a slightly shorter length of pull will give you better eye relief as you go from prone, kneeling to standing and become more upright.

Last edited:

Fooddudebob

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2019
Texas
Your head position will ultimately come from your cheekweld. No matter if you are prone or standing, you will rest that cheekbone on your rifle stock.

That being said, having an adjustable stock to raise or lower the cheek rest is helpfull because you can generally get rings as high or as low as you need to. If your stock is not adjustable i would error on the higher side of scope rings. You can always build your stock up, but you cannot take material away. AR’s are a good example of needing higher rings.

I have also found that if the scope sits too high, the butt on the rifle will sit lower in my shoulder and on my collarbone instead of in my pocket.

So after all of this, i prefer scope rings that are as low as possible for scope clearance AND allow me to have proper cheekweld.

To answer your question, a slightly shorter length of pull will give you better eye relief as you go from prone, kneeling to standing and become more upright.
Okay I really appreciate your expertise! That clears up quite a bit!

acudaowner

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
thanks for that post on my own knowing nothing i have already purchased one 300 dollar or more larue mount that i cannon use it just put the scope so high from the cheek rest my chin was on the rest and still could not see through the scope and now local shops have me buying parts to change my rifle after buying mounts that again will not fit , the bell hits the rail on top of the gun i am hopeful that the taped pennies gave me the correct height measurement wish i had seen this post a few months ago could have saved 500 dollars if i had let my local gun shop have there way they would have me spending more . Just praying that these rings do the trick this time.

rugerlongrange808

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Getting your scope height is much easier than this...

Measure the outside diameter of the eye piece (D-EYE)
Measure the diameter of your bolt (D-Bolt)
Measure the distance from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the eye piece on the scope (D-X)

Scope Height = ( ( D-EYE / 2 ) + ( D-Bolt / 2 ) + D-x

No need to complicate it