Replacing hornady single stage

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
Eye balling the forester coax and frankfords new coax. No reason really, besides just wanting something new, maybe something a hair nicer. My hornady has worked fine but I like the design with the coax.

Anyone here used the traditional style press and switch over to a coax?

hookedonbrass

[ ]
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 16, 2018
Montpelier, Virginia
you won't regret a forster.

you'll have to wait for one to come in stock at brownells/midway/etc (sign up for email notifications for the press). and they sell out QUICK

the frankford ones look okay. two or three people have mentioned needing to modify/file down their dies to get them to size correctly. not sure if that's user error or an issue with the press. has some nice features but I don't think it's as refined as the forster. i also don't like the die blocks you have to use. whereas the forster just uses the regular die rings that come with the dies.

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
Ultimate Reloder has an amazing comparison of single stage presses.
This review made me really happy that I grabbed a rockchucker supreme on sale; but there is a reason the Forster is so popular. If I were doing an upgrade the co-ax would probably be the only thing on the list.
That’s what’s in the back of my mind too, I want to get the frankford due to price but feel like forester is the way to go here. I may end up parting ways with my progressive to fund the forester, so I can keep my hornady single stage and load on it while I wait for a forester

Backcountryguy

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2019
Another vote for the MEC Marksman press. The ram operation is so buttery smooth and effortless it should be illegal.

Not sure what dies you use but keep in mind something like the Coax limits what dies you can use due to the overall height of some dies

Backcountryguy

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2019
Yes they will.
Unless youre telling me Im not actually successfully using my mircometer topped hornady dies in my coax.
I swear I watched a YouTube video, potentially Gavin Toobe, that said that specific combo doesn’t work.

If my information was wrong(which, if that combo works for you, obviously I am wrong) , I apologize.

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
The OOOOold forster co-ax had a shorter wish bone which could interfere with some long dies for some large (big bore big magnums etc) but I doubt you could find one offered or someone willing to give theirs up. Even for those presses that are more than a decade old at least can swap the wishbone out for the improved version.

Any coax youve bough tin the past many decade at least should fit them from 338lm on down.

Huskydriver

You gotta want it....
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2018
SLC, Utah
Dillon...Dillon... Dillon....😁 Wait till a guy is getting divorced and scoop one up used

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
The OOOOold forster co-ax had a shorter wish bone which could interfere with some long dies for some large (big bore big magnums etc) but I doubt you could find one offered or someone willing to give theirs up. Even for those presses that are more than a decade old at least can swap the wishbone out for the improved version.

Any coax youve bough tin the past many decade at least should fit them from 338lm on down.
Even the old “Bonanza” labeled Co-Ax (the original) will accept the current Co-Ax taller yoke to work with the longer micrometer dies. Ask me how I know. 🤣

marchboom

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
I have an old Bonanza Co-Ax press and the Redding and Forster micrometer dies fit great. After 47 yrs of reloading and using just about every press I think the Forster Co-Ax is the best, without a doubt. Spend a few more bucks and get the Co-Ax. IMO, this is not the piece of equipment where you want to go cheap. You will then know why it is such a desired press. Switching dies is effortless and they will ALWAYS give you the same results. Adjusting dies is also a lot more accurate than with a standard type press.

I don't like the Frankfort Arsenal press. Those die blocks you need for every die can get expensive.

jcam

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2019
23712471-1A5A-44C4-B2EE-7BD9872863D6.jpeg

I’m using the Mec right now.
I’ve heard nothing but good reviews about the co-ax.

Threadcutter308

Heffalumpian Wrangler
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Camano Island, Washington
The mec is cheapest but I don’t doubt it wouldn’t last a lifetime. Still looking at it, the rcbs summit and the coax
I have a bunch of different presses, each for unique tasks. I have a (relatively) new Rock Chucker that I’m a bit surprised to say, looks pretty beefy. I only use it for FLR .223, 6x47L and .308W. Works great and wasn’t terribly expensive. But, I have heard so many people sing the praises of the Forster, I would be inclined to go that route if I were doing all of my reloading on one, single stage press.

Backcountryguy

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2019
If you do go the MEC Marksman route you will want a stand for it. Either the MEC stand($40), or Inline Fabrications, or a homemade one if you have the means to do so.

I use the Mec stand and it works great, has 4 shell holders on it which is convenient for me as I only reload for 223 and 6.5 right now.

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
If you do go the MEC Marksman route you will want a stand for it. Either the MEC stand($40), or Inline Fabrications, or a homemade one if you have the means to do so.

I use the Mec stand and it works great, has 4 shell holders on it which is convenient for me as I only reload for 223 and 6.5 right now.
I’ve got the tall inline mount already. I need to buy their short one, it’s a pain loading while sitting lol, I have a tall bench though.

Backcountryguy

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2019
I’ve got the tall inline mount already. I need to buy their short one, it’s a pain loading while sitting lol, I have a tall bench though.
I prefer to stand while loading but that’s just me. The MEC has a short press handle available. I bought it but haven’t felt the need to use it yet

ssteve

Private
Belligerents
Jan 8, 2011
I'm actually surprised the summit press doesn't get more love around here. One of the best or concentricity, great form factor and Its one of the only presses you can use on the go by just mounting it to flat stock, wood etc. so it opens up a lot o options if you needed to load on the go.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
I'm actually surprised the summit press doesn't get more love around here. One of the best or concentricity, great form factor and Its one of the only presses you can use on the go by just mounting it to flat stock, wood etc. so it opens up a lot o options if you needed to load on the go.
I know, I watched ultimate reloader press comparison and that’s what he said too.
I want to sell my hornady progressive AP but don’t want to ship that beast lol

captainmorgan460

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Rock chucker is working well for me. Concentricity has been good but interstingly very similar to the old Lee single stage. I noticed the improvement in length of cases sized and bullet seated length though.

TX_Punisher

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
Update? Co ax is in stock at several places I’m seeing. I’ve got both hornadys and am thinking of making the switch to forester.

marchboom

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Update? Co ax is in stock at several places I’m seeing. I’ve got both hornadys and am thinking of making the switch to forester.
I have every type of press and by far the Co-Ax is the best. The higher price is a one time deal. The benefits of this press will last a few lifetimes. Just the ease of changing out the dies makes it a winner.

phlegethon

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
I’ll be getting rid of my hornady single stage, keeping the progressive, and picking up a co-ax.

Thanks for the info.
You made the right choice. I wish someone had told me to start with a Forster Co-Ax.

marchboom

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
You made the right choice. I wish someone had told me to start with a Forster Co-Ax.
Me too. Years ago I saw the Co-Ax press but the cost kept me away. I just wish I would have saved up my pennies to get this press first. But I thought that all presses were the same...they push cases into dies. So I got a Lyman turret press and it worked fine. But knowing what I know now I would have still preferred to start out with the Co-Ax.

phlegethon

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
I kept my Hornady single stage press to do the dirty work...decapping before polishing. If it gets all nasty and cruddy...meh, who cares.
I stopped using my Hornady LNL for decapping because it sprays primers all over the room. The Frankford hand tool is faster anyway.

Reactions: MarinePMI

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
I stopped using my Hornady LNL for decapping because it sprays primers all over the room. The Frankford hand tool is faster anyway.
Yea, I’ve had mine for a few years and it’s never reliably dropped the primers in the tray. They either stay in the shaft or fall out the front if they don’t go into the tray

Vinootz

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2018
Eye balling the forester coax and frankfords new coax. No reason really, besides just wanting something new, maybe something a hair nicer. My hornady has worked fine but I like the design with the coax.

Anyone here used the traditional style press and switch over to a coax?
Aside from a Prazzipress(with it's near perfect alignment), Forster's floating system is probably the best for low runout. It is a hard stop(no cam over), doesn't need shell holders and it's powerful. There is lighting for them if you want. You will be well served and more than likely never regret having bought it. I've have yet to hear of a reloader complain about something on a Forster. Although you may want to get the beefed up shell holder platform made by MANZGEAR because Forsters may belly over time. And when switching shell holder to the other size, the springs are not secured. Manzgear solved both those issues. I do think Forster is working on modifying the primer seating portion of the press. Not exactly sure why because the current design works fine. Besides many reloaders use hand primers anyway. Getting the shorter handle and/or lever handle may work out better for you too. I am upgrading to one from my O style press. I borrowed a friends and decided it is the one for me. RCBS Summit also produces low run out brass.There's just enough slop in case holder platform on the Summit for low run out brass. Normally I try to avoid offering info that deviates from your question, but in this case I made an exception. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

lumberjack78

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2019
Yea, I’ve had mine for a few years and it’s never reliably dropped the primers in the tray. They either stay in the shaft or fall out the front if they don’t go into the tray
Take the primer punch, cup and spring out of the priming arm and leave the priming arm in the ram. It needs to be there for the primers to fall backwards into the tray.

Reactions: MarinePMI

ed308

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2019
The Coax is a nice press and probably what I'd buy if I every go single stage again. I've tried a lot of single stage presses over the years but finally got rid of all of them and purchased a Dillon 550. I use it like a single stage press but with some automation. With floating tool heads and manual powder drop via a A&D Fx120i scale with Auto Trickler/Throw, the accuracy for my precision rounds is unchanged. But it's a whole lot faster.

Last edited: