Removing brake

Jul 9, 2007
Australia
I just bought a Tikka CTR that is fitted with a Badger brake with a washer between the brake and the barrel shoulder (no pinch screw on the brake). I had assumed it would be a relatively simple process to unscrew the brake, but that bitch is on tight. I haven't encountered this particular brake before. Is there any trick to getting these off?

Huskydriver

New Hide Member
Apr 17, 2018
Utah
I usually use a blow torch to heat it up a tad first or even a small propane torch. If it was rocksetted you might be in for a small fight without proper tools.How are you securing the barrel so you can torque on tme brake?

Jul 9, 2007
Australia
I was hoping I would be able to use wooden blocks with a relief for the barrel in a vice, then just use the flats on the brake to turn it off. But that was when I was thinking it would come free easily.

powerspc

Sergeant of the Hide
Mar 15, 2018
I usually use a blow torch to heat it up a tad first or even a small propane torch. If it was rocksetted you might be in for a small fight without proper tools.How are you securing the barrel so you can torque on tme brake?
Heat is your friend; these are usually installed with rockset, I would use a propane torch and get it pretty hot. Also, you should be using a barrel vise., Mechforce (mechforce-usa.com) makes a nice one but you can check Brownell's for others that may be less expensive. Brakes have a tendency to gall if they weren't installed properly, when you do get it off and go to install a new one put a little AeroShell on the threads. The next guy will thank you!

Huskydriver

New Hide Member
Apr 17, 2018
Utah
More than likely you will need a barrel vise if it was torqued down and some type of thread locking compound was used. You can find a way to joebob it in your garage but your chances of marring your barrel or action will go up.

EXTREMEPREJUDICE

Online Training Member
Oct 21, 2008
SE MICHIGAN
I've never had a problem busting loose a muzzle device secured with Rocksett, as mentioned it is used because of it's heat resistant properties. A good barrel vise and then apply some torque. Although, if it is not Rocksett but another form of permanent threadlocker (Red Loctite) then heat is your friend.

Top Bottom