Redding Type S Dies

Graham

Generalissimo
Belligerents
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
Re: Redding Type S Dies

There's only a difference between the neck sizing dies, and you probably want the full length type S anyway.

ChrisGarrett

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2007
Miami, Florida

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys think the competition sizer is worth the cost over the standard type S?? </div></div>

Not for me.

You're either going to size all the way down the neck (or as close as you can get,) or say halfway. With the rougher threads of the standard sizing stem, it's not a big deal to get things close enough.

Chris

MitchAlsup

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 19, 2007
Austin Texas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys think the competition sizer is worth the cost over the standard type S?? </div></div>

I have a Type-S in 223 and the full competition in 308. For the sizer die, there is essentially no advantage to the micrometer head. For the seater die, there is.

Kino

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 14, 2011
Very Southern Indiana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys think the competition sizer is worth the cost over the standard type S?? </div></div>

I have a Type-S in 223 and the full competition in 308. For the sizer die, there is essentially no advantage to the micrometer head. For the seater die, there is. </div></div>

Thats kinda the same conclusion I came to. I have alot of different caliber dies that are the competition models from redding and they are the bees knees but am looking at purchasing some type S sizers and was just trying to get opinions on the standard type S vs. the one with the micrometer.

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 7, 2009
Montana

That depends on how many variables you want to eliminate in your reloading and how much you're willing to pay to do it.

The Competition Neck sizer has a floating sleeve that fully supports the case and ensures that when sizing begins that the case is perfectly aligned with the sizing bushing. The S type allows the case to float like most standard dies. Runout can be induced using the floating method.

Is the S Type neck sizer "good enough? Only you can answer that for your needs, but after using the Competition die, I personally would not go back *if* I was only neck sizing. The Type S FL sizer is fine, because it sizes everything at once, keeping the relationship between the neck and case body intact.

John

matthewusmc8791

Belligerents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys think the competition sizer is worth the cost over the standard type S?? </div></div>

That depends on how many variables you want to eliminate in your reloading and how much you're willing to pay to do it.

The Competition Neck sizer has a floating sleeve that fully supports the case and ensures that when sizing begins that the case is perfectly aligned with the sizing bushing. The S type allows the case to float like most standard dies. Runout can be induced using the floating method.

Is the S Type neck sizer "good enough? Only you can answer that for your needs, but after using the Competition die, I personally would not go back *if* I was only neck sizing. The Type S FL sizer is fine, because it sizes everything at once, keeping the relationship between the neck and case body intact.

John</div></div>

+1 John

I concur with JR.. Shooter needs to decide what they want for end results and buy accordingly... buy junk you get junk.. I think all of Redding’s competitions dies are more than sufficient for the majority of shooters, but competition bench rest shooting which requires a much higher degree of accuracy than hitting 24"x24" steel plates could be a negotiable factor in choosing more of a custom tool…. JMO