Redding competition shell holder issues

plinkin

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
florida
I've been reloading for a couple years or more all 308 for several different rifles. When it comes to FL sizing I just adjusted the dies in the press and it's gotten me along ok so far. With the purchase of a new custom rifle I'm really paying close attention to reloading and striving to be as precise as I can to get my group size down.

I purchased a set of the Redding competition shell holders to alleviate the hassle of adjusting the die while also being able to control it as well. I bought them through amazon and measured them and it looks like .002 and .004 are the same size, I confirmed this with bumping a fired case back 1.5 thou with the .004 then relubed the same case and sized using the .002 holder and got the same results.

I ordered a replacement set through Amazon and they had the exact same issue along with having incorrect sized specs from the .010 and the .008 holders. Anyone have similar issues? I want to run these but I don't like the issues for the price from a reputable company.

Mainer

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2019
Wouldn't the .002 shell holder set the case shoulder back less than the .004?

In other words, would you not be better off using the .002 before the .004? ( Forgive me if I misunderstand their function.)

Reactions: Mike Casselton

plinkin

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
florida
Wouldn't the .002 shell holder set the case shoulder back less than the .004?

In other words, would you not be better off using the .002 before the .004? ( Forgive me if I misunderstand their function.)
No their not designed that way. I know what you're thinking. I believe how they explained it in the instructions were that a normal shell holder is 125 thou thick so each of the comp shell holders are reducing thickness in 2 thou increments, .002 being the thickest .010 being the thinnest. So the .002 holder should measure .123 thou and the .010 should measure .115 thou, of which they don't. They are knurled on the edge so the most accurate way "I" have of measuring them is across the part you slide the shell over. Which may or may not be a accurate way of measuring them because of the knurling.

Howland

Nimrod
Belligerents
Sep 30, 2017
Upstate South Carolina
How would you measure them? Also what's the normal setup? I'm not being a smartass.
With standard thread dies, each 5° of adjustment is almost exactly 0.001".

When working up a load with new brass, measure headspace of once fired cases and sort to identify the longest. Make sure your dies are not setting the shoulder back because it may take several firings for the case shoulder to expand to the chamber shoulder.

Once you get a little stiffness closing the bolt, screw the die down in 5° increments until the shoulders are right where you want them. I use a sharpie to mark the press and the die and use a compass to try to get even 5° adjustments.

Mainer

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2019
No their not designed that way. I know what you're thinking. I believe how they explained it in the instructions were that a normal shell holder is 125 thou thick so each of the comp shell holders are reducing thickness in 2 thou increments, .002 being the thickest .010 being the thinnest. So the .002 holder should measure .123 thou and the .010 should measure .115 thou, of which they don't. They are knurled on the edge so the most accurate way "I" have of measuring them is across the part you slide the shell over. Which may or may not be a accurate way of measuring them because of the knurling.
If that is the case, then I am wrong, but that is not how I understood the description.

plinkin

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
florida
With standard thread dies, each 5° of adjustment is almost exactly 0.001".

When working up a load with new brass, measure headspace of once fired cases and sort to identify the longest. Make sure your dies are not setting the shoulder back because it may take several firings for the case shoulder to expand to the chamber shoulder.

Once you get a little stiffness closing the bolt, screw the die down in 5° increments until the shoulders are right where you want them. I use a sharpie to mark the press and the die and use a compass to try to get even 5° adjustments.
My press uses the 7/8 by 14 thread pitch. I'm prob going to go back to use the old method.

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
How would you measure them? Also what's the normal setup? I'm not being a smartass.
I wrote something here this morning as well I’m the subject https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/hornady-resizing-die-issue.6972988/#post-8121667 but you use a datum, usually a comparator but even a 40sw case would fill the task, and measure how much your seating die is actually sizing the piece of brass shoulder back down towards the case head.

I use a coax so I’ve forgone shell hinders entirely but using the depth gauge somewhat like this you could plunge from the top face down to where bottom of it.
17EA4D78-CA34-4761-BB3F-F7B85F6291FC.jpeg

Reactions: plinkin

plinkin

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
florida
I wrote something here this morning as well I’m the subject https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/hornady-resizing-die-issue.6972988/#post-8121667 but you use a datum, usually a comparator but even a 40sw case would fill the task, and measure how much your seating die is actually sizing the piece of brass shoulder back down towards the case head.

I use a coax so I’ve forgone shell hinders entirely but using the depth gauge somewhat like this you could plunge from the top face down to where bottom of it.
View attachment 7194542
10 4, I appreciate the response. I'm just going to send them back. I want a coax, my lee cast press seems ok now. So much want so little funds lol.

Reactions: spife7980

plinkin

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
florida
Take a look at Broz' video
This is exactly as they should be used. However with my dumbass having access to a caliper and headspace gauges lok, I over think things and prob blow them out of proportion. I would prob never had an issues if I would just use them like this. But I cant over look the flaws they have.