Recommeded ELR spotting scope

Timsar

Private
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2017
N. Kalifornia
Newbie here
My shooting partner and I are thinking about pooling our resources and getting a nice spot. scope.
Min budget $1k, max $2k

Any recommendations from you experienced folks?

Daniel-01

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2019
Far less experienced than many others here but I learned my lesson on spotting scopes ;)

I think your budget is good, don't go lower. I did by a bit and regretted it (vortex viper).

I hear the vortex razor HD scopes are good, not looked through one myself but many here seem to swear on it.

I went with the swarovski str80 25-50x now but thats priced a bit higher.

Read a lot here about meopta being good too.

Just one more note, clarity over max magnification. The higher the magnification, the more mirage.

Reactions: Diver160651

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
For ELR, you will appreciate the reticle.

Yes, this is an excellent recommendation. A buddy of mine has one and these used to be the staple spotting scope at matches. Excellent overall package. And right in your budget.

ACK

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 20, 2004
So. Ca
i started with a budget scope and quickly regretted it. Went to a Meopta and was quite happy until I looked thru a Pentax PF80ED 20-60x80. Its resolution and color rendition are very good. it is a beast to carry.
Once set up my shooting buddies want to borrow it.
Use a suitable tripod. for optimum results.

oneshot.onehit

Trigger Puller
Belligerents
Mar 17, 2010
USA
Theres a variety of good equipment available these days, we have been satisfied with the performance and quality of the Vortex Razor spotting scopes. We like to use one with the Mil retical and one without when two spotters are allowed behind the shooter while at events pushing us out to 3500 yards.

oneshot.onehit
JH

86alaskan

Sour Kraut
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2019
STL
Shop for a used Swaro 80mm or something in that realm. you'll really appreciate the clarity. I've noticed that the added clarity and resolution of my swaro helps a lot over a long day. I've used other cheaper scopes before and the eye strain they cause can give you a head ache. The high line scopes are just that, and they're worth it. You can find a swaro 20-60 ats or sts for right around 2k

Diver160651

Who cares
Belligerents
Feb 7, 2013
BELMONTCA
I have a Swaro ATX but out of your price range (the ATS is not worth the $$) In that case the Razor HD and some of the other top bird scopes are a better buy. Neither have the reticle like the STR. Personally I find todays Tier 1 25x+ scopes really close to the 40x spotters as soon as the mirage is up and better than just about anything 2nd tier.. So, if you do NOT have a Tier one scope I'd start there.

Honestly, either way, I would look more into a ELR camera system than a spotter. You can do it for less and have way more info as well as instant replay with the correct system.

Last edited:

Reverie Ranges

11B3HB4 1997-2007
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2019
Vancouver, WA
Again, I can't describe words on the trace these things can see...
1582187055329.png

NASA called me the other day wanting to know if I could check the exterior of the Space Station... I told them I was a little busy on the range...

• Haha
Reactions: TEUFEL820

waveslayer

Belligerents
Mar 6, 2012
CA
I finally broke down and split a BTX with my old man. Best decision I have made. I just need a reticle eye piece now, but for overall spotting scope. You can't beat a Swarovski