Razor spotting scope opinions

Mark Watson

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2019
Found a good price on last years model, wondering if the fine focus is better than the new model one piece?
Also, anything comparable at the 1k price point?
Tx

1911hombre

Old School
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
East Central Minnesota
I have the 20-60x85 which is an older gen but am not sure how many gens there are now. Only two, I think. Mine has the duplex focus knobs. I don't have anything to compare it to but I'll say I'm happy with it and don't regret the purchase. Focus is precise IMO.

blbennett1288

de·plor·a·ble
Belligerents
Apr 24, 2017
Hoover, Alabama
Two weekends ago I spent a good bit of time behind a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 with MRAD eyepiece and was really impressed.

It is no Hensoldt Spotter 45, but right now I think it is the best compromise.

Depending what your intended use is I might recommend binos if you are going to be using them all day and don’t want a reticle.

Reactions: TRG65

TRG65

Private
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2005
NoVa
Before I got my Vortex, I RO'ed at a few matches and got to use a bunch of different types incl Hensoldt and Swaro. I agree the vortex is not a Henny. However in the daylight the vortex is almost as good to my eye as the swaro. I've used it for hunting and could see through it as long as I was willing to take a shot (using an S&B PM II on my rifle) and pick out antlers 200-300 yards away. I also have the 22x reticle eyepiece on mine. I think it is a great spotter.

sam4886

Double tap
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Columbia basin
Take a look at the Athlon Ares 20-60x85 ED Spotting Scope I think if you check reviews you'll find it is a superior optic and will cost you less. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it

Doug, have you gotten any recent feedback on the athlon with the reticle in it? I haven't been behind either the razor or the athlon spotters, but I've been impressed with my athlon scopes. Are you saying the Ares is better than the gen 1 or gen 2 razor? Or both?

JayseM_SportOptics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Apr 17, 2019
The current Razors are hard to beat for the $1,500ish price point. I the model you're referring is the older model with the white bodies, the optics in those are pretty much the same as the current production Viper spotters, which I also think are great values at their respective price.

MarshalC_SportOptics

MarshallSportOptics
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Apr 23, 2019
I agree, especially in the newer Razors, I found the adjustment to be smooth. Glass quality was very impressive and granted in broad daylight, mirage was not bad at all. However, the older razor aren't as clear as well. If you are looking for something top notch the razor is the way to go for the price point!

chevy_man

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019

These are what every scope is judged by. It's the only logical step down from a Swarovski in my opinion.

I ended up with a sx-4 since they didn't have hd glass in the 12-40 when I bought mine. Wish I would have waited to get a lighter scope, but the glass is spot on.

Reactions: Pappakap

dski

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2020
I have used both and didn't feel limited with out the fine focus on the new model. I did end up moving from the Razor line however to get a reticle that would go more than 30x, (But not in the 1k budget you outlined)

Mark Watson

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2019
I have used both and didn't feel limited with out the fine focus on the new model. I did end up moving from the Razor line however to get a reticle that would go more than 30x, (But not in the 1k budget you outlined)
What did you move to,