Question about mils

Oct 2, 2007
One question about mil dots for holdoff.
For Example:

I shot at 1000 meters.
I know my bullet drop from my ballistic chart/table.
Now i fired a shot,and it comes low.
I read in my scope that the shot goes 1 mil down(what is 1 meter at 1000 meter,right)?
Now i have two options right?
First:i have to dial with my elevation knob 10 klicks(what mean 1 mil,10 cm at 100 meter,and 1 meter at 1000)?
Second:simply hold that 1 mil over with the mil dot reticle?

Or otherwise:
You shoot at 500 meters.
You dialed in your bullet drop and observe in your scope that the shot goes 0.5 mil down.This is 25 cm,right?
Cause 0.1 mil is at 100 meters 1 cm.
So you have 0.5 mil what is at 100 meters 5 cm,but on 500 meters,it is 5cmx5(500meter)=25 cm.

Sorry for asking stupid,and for bad english.
Thanks for your help.
P.s.i want to use FFP scope with 0.1 mil clicks.8

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 6, 2011
MA
A milradian is a milradian.

It is not a centimeter or a meter.

If your reticle tellls you you are one mil down than you can dial up one mil or hold one mil.

Distance doesn't matter.

Your eye, your reticle, and the shot hole tell the story assuming FFP or SFP at the right magnification.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Apr 12, 2001
Base of the Rockies
www.snipershide.com
Exactly

When the turrets match the reticle, what you see in the reticle is what you dial on the turret, the distance is irrelevant

If you see a 1 Mil correction in the reticle, dial it, doesn't matter, yards, or meters, it's What you See is what you get

Oct 2, 2007
Many,many thanks guys.This helps a lot.
You are the best.
@Frank:You do a great job.I love this Forum and your Videos with Sniper online lessons.It teaches me a lot.I shoot in the past F-/TR,and have Sfp scopes used with Moa Turrets.Now i want to switch to ffp with metric knobs for practical shooting and hunting.

Rerun7

Furious George
Feb 18, 2017
Fayetteville, Arkansas
The biggest lesson I learned when moving from MOA to MIL was that the drop in inches or centimeters, etc is irrelevant. I used to memorize how many inches of drop I had at certain yardage’s and then do the math to get my dope in MOA.

Now, I only pay attention to the MILs and shooting got way more simple. If it’s low by a MIL then just adjust a MIL.

Top Bottom