PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

j741

Hide Member
Sep 10, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Not trying to clog up this thread or throw it off track (as if it is still on track lol), but I am just curious about PVA's new endeavor with tripods... Is PVA making these in-house? Perhaps out sourcing the carbon fiber legs and other components? Seems like a real branch out from making custom rifles, and now production rifles; I can only imagine how busy they must be.
Don't mean to derail this thread, but where is more info on their tripods?

Feb 23, 2017
Not trying to clog up this thread or throw it off track (as if it is still on track lol), but I am just curious about PVA's new endeavor with tripods... Is PVA making these in-house? Perhaps out sourcing the carbon fiber legs and other components? Seems like a real branch out from making custom rifles, and now production rifles; I can only imagine how busy they must be.
I asked about where the tripods are made on Facebook but didn't get an response. Ordered one anyway because the price is good and I trust in PVA making good stuff, still would like to know though, if it something they are willing to share.

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
That was explained and understandable. It sucks yeah but we're 2 months plus behind on actions and its whatever at this point they'll come when they come.

If companies were waiting until they were caught up on all orders we would never see innovation (Manners)

There's only so much PVA can do on their machines while they wait for a timing artifact. For all we know this was in the works before SHOT and they waited and waited to announce
We don't make the actions in house.
Never said we did, never alluded to anything of the sort.
We don't make barrel blanks in house.
Never said we did, never alluded to anything of the sort.

Machines sitting on the floor have a burn rate.
If the blank that someone custom orders isn't available because the blank manufacturer is behind we don't shut down and sweep the floor while we wait for a blank to come in.
It seems like some people think that's what we should be doing because the 223 barrel blanks that were ordered in a faster-than-stocked twist rate took longer to get.

As someone said above, it it was on the shelf it's not custom. That's the JHR, you don't get choices other than what is laid out.
We've covered the delays on the actions several times.
We brought more work/capability/people in house than we originally bargained for to make up for supplier shortcomings. Just like ARC did with their new lathe and hiring personnel.

I have been pretty open about the problems that came up from the endeavors involved in bringing new products to market.

The Hancock is revolutionary in the level of performance purchased for 2 grand. I am confident in this because of the bellyaching that came from our competitors saying how this was an unfair approach to the class, people trying to pull backroom deals and pay off governing bodies to write rules against our product.

There's a lot of work that went on to get the Hancock announced and ARC was an instrumental partner in the project. So was Rock Creek barrels. Without the cooperation and support of those 2 companies there wouldn't be a production rifle that shows the performance that the Hancock did last weekend. I felt a little guilty about going to a match that kept me out of the shop for 3 days but it's literally the only travel match I've attended last year and this year. It provides a unique experience to really test performance and we also made a commitment back in January to attend and sponsor the event.

There is an adage about product/services cost:

Right
Fast
Cheap

You get to pick 2.

If the Nucleus was on time and on price point there would have been pieces of it that was fucked up. Ted's not willing to send out fucked up and he guaranteed a price. If something goes wrong it needs to be fixed.

Same with the Hancocks and the barrels we are selling.

If a 7.5 twist is ordered and we use an 8 twist because that's what I had available to make schedule then you got cost and delivery (Cheap/Fast) but you didn't get what you ordered. Is that acceptable? Maybe to some but not to us.

The Tripod is something that started last year as well, we're finally getting the production samples in from the contractor making the parts. I'm not going to discuss who/where things are being made. If you don't want it then don't buy it. There is a plethora of options that are heavier, less stable, and far more expensive out there. There will always be a market at the top end and people will fight for the bottom end in price. We're trying to maximize the value proposition to the customer across the board.

The button rifled barrels we're selling demonstrate that.
The Hancock is a demonstration of that.
We have a tripod that we're trying to get off the ground that is another example of that.

Face it folks, the guys who can afford to roll to a match with 15-18 grand of equipment for their weekend hobby are few compared to the rest of us that like to shoot. I'm trying to get the stuff out to the rest of the shooting community without sacrificing performance. We aren't competiting with Remington or Savage. We're defining a middle space where a lot more folks can afford to participate and do so with equipment that doesn't suck.

I don’t know the entire situation no one does but them.
You hit the nail on the head. Making decisions with half the information is what the media does.

TheMammoth

Online Training Member
Feb 14, 2017
Face it folks, the guys who can afford to roll to a match with 15-18 grand of equipment for their weekend hobby are few compared to the rest of us that like to shoot. I'm trying to get the stuff out to the rest of the shooting community without sacrificing performance. We aren't competiting with Remington or Savage. We're defining a middle space where a lot more folks can afford to participate and do so with equipment that doesn't suck.
Hell yes.

Guys, instigating things like this where a few people are badgering and constantly putting company reps on blast, subtle or otherwise, is how we lose and have lost them participating with us.

flyer

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 25, 2018
Congratulations on your match results.

I know in a high stress situation it is very nice to take a break and recharge, especially if you would only be spinning your wheels otherwise.

I hope you eventually get a chance to catch your breath after the JHRs, barrels and tripods get caught up.

Feb 16, 2017
Hey guys, let me know if anyone would like to take my spot in line for a PVA barreled action.
EDIT/UPDATE: Looks like someone has adopted the action! It's going to a better home! Thanks guys! And shout out to PVA for making it a smooth transaction!

Last edited:

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
Hey guys, let me know if anyone would like to take my spot in line for a PVA barreled action (Nucleus Right hand short action standard bolt). I may have to place my build plans on hold for a little bit. If not no worries, just letting people know in case anyone was interested!
If you get a taker on this (which I suspect is likely) then no sweat. If you need to slide to the back of the list to help accomodate your build otherwise we can do that too.

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
Man, more whining in here than a at a college full of entitled millennials ... do we forget what actions were out there a decade ago? glass half full folks!!
Yeah, Savage and Remmy 700s have changed so much. Just kidding. No whining here but just wanted to share solid info with my fellow hide Southpaws. Next time I’ll just keep it all to myself as most millennial do.

Feb 16, 2017
If you get a taker on this (which I suspect is likely) then no sweat. If you need to slide to the back of the list to help accomodate your build otherwise we can do that too.
I think I got a taker! Actually I got several takers, so it looks like I'll be giving my spot/order to someone else. We may try to contact you guys tomorrow to sort it out. Thank you for supporting your customers despite the busy release!!

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
Not nucleus-

Just to update my prior comments
My 223 barrel arrived yesterday, thanks. Had a thread protector I won’t ever use but that’s alright, free stuff is great.
Standard product offering, all the threaded barrels come with thread protectors on them. Less chance of damage in shipping and we make them in house.

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque, nm
Hope this helps the Barloc guys. I started a new thread on the Nucleus for videos. Check it out. I was one that thought the Criterion would not fit with the Savage action and Barloc.

Both Shillen and Criterion prefits work with the full Barloc on both the Savage and Nucleus action.

hereinaz thanks a lot for all the updates, videos, measurements and comments you have been posting. I'm sure you have other things you could be doing. Thanks again for going out of your way to inform us that are still waiting!

Jul 6, 2010
Denver, CO
Yes, very helpful videos to demonstrate how that works, thank you sir.

Would love a video of you installing the criterion pre-fit on the nucleus with the barloc and doing the headspace. Also curious why your go gauge dummy round had a bullet since headspace is off the shoulder?

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
Hope this helps the Barloc guys. I started a new thread on the Nucleus for videos. Check it out. I was one that thought the Criterion would not fit with the Savage action and Barloc.

Both Shillen and Criterion prefits work with the full Barloc on both the Savage and Nucleus action.

Did you happen to cycle the Nucleus bolt on the Criterion and Shilen prefits?

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ

Great video. Bad ass. I’m stoked to get my LH Action.

Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
Yes, very helpful videos to demonstrate how that works, thank you sir.

Would love a video of you installing the criterion pre-fit on the nucleus with the barloc and doing the headspace. Also curious why your go gauge dummy round had a bullet since headspace is off the shoulder?
The bullet doesn't touch anything, so it doesn't affect headspace. The chamber still hits the shoulder for headspace. I just used it cause it was there. I posted some more videos, showing me tearing down the Nucleus and putting it back together. I probably would have done that even without doing the videos... hope the continue to help.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
Did you happen to cycle the Nucleus bolt on the Criterion and Shilen prefits?
I had the Shillen prefit on my nucleus. I'v done a couple more showing cycling off a bipod and another off bags. The Criterion and Shillen prefits are so close it doesn't make a difference between them they will both work.

You can find them on the other "Nucleus Videos" thread and on a channel I started on Youtube called Long Range Student.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Shreveport, Louisiana
I’m sure that most, or all, of y’all got the email today. In case you didn’t, here’s Jeremy’s update on the JHR.

All,

The projects mentioned above are as follows:

John Hancocks - we are waiting on the marking variance. There is a paperwork love triangle going on and we have not gotten approval for it yet. We have weekly calls about it with the ATF but we do not yet have the approval.

The actions for the first 80 JHR's are sitting at American Rifle awaiting approval so that we can burn them with the laser marking and then finishing.

When we get an update/approval trust me, everyone will know.

I was hoping for good news when I saw the email. But no. Looks like the ATF is giving them a screwing and the runaround.
I reluctantly and painfully cancelled my trip to The Whittington Center in New Mexico today. Maybe next year.

Edit: I forgot to add, thank you Jeremy for the update. It is appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Shreveport, Louisiana
Thanks for the post Srgt. Hulka. I’ve got a barreled action on order so I didn’t get that email.
BoilerUp is correct. There was also an update on the barreled receivers in the email as well. I will try to post the whole email.

Edit to add entire email:

All,

The projects mentioned above are as follows:

John Hancocks - we are waiting on the marking variance. There is a paperwork love triangle going on and we have not gotten approval for it yet. We have weekly calls about it with the ATF but we do not yet have the approval.

The actions for the first 80 JHR's are sitting at American Rifle awaiting approval so that we can burn them with the laser marking and then finishing.

When we get an update/approval trust me, everyone will know.

Nucleus Group Buy barrels - many folks have received their barrels. Mostly the 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed and 6x47's. We are working on the tail end of the 6.5 Creeds and starting 6.5x47's this week.

The marking variance delay has upended the plans initially set out. Since the first 50 Nucleus receivers were supposed to be Hancocks we cut a lot of Hancock barrels. When the delays on the Marking Variance came up we switched gears and started on teh GB barrels since it looked likely that Nucleii were going to start shipping to regular customers before the paperwork came through.

We did a pretty good job of getting through those but like everything the time and parts are critical path and we're burning through GB barrels as fast as we can for folks that have Nucleus actions in hand already.

So much effort went into doing these barrels that we sidestepped making action wrenches for the Nucleus like originally planned in order to get the barrels done. ARC is making them in house and we're buying wrenches so that customers will have them as promised and we will have barrels nearly as promised.

The Nucleus Barreled Action barrels are coming up after the GB barrels but those are being mated to actions that are not being shipped to customers, since we don't have any of those yet we kept pace on the GB's and didn't move to the BA barrels.

We don't have an estimate as to when we're getting the first actions for the BA's, we did send a spreadsheet with timestamps on orders to the second and ARC is integrating those orders into their flow to fulfill them.

The deals that go along with the Hancock rifles and the sending in of FFL's for all barreled actions will be dealt with when it gets closer to delivery. No need to let us know ahead of time.

As always we're still cutting our usual replacement barrels for other receivers and we have the new turning center cranking away about 11 hours a day between Jeremy and Josh.

Action wrenches: We have Mausingfield, Tikka, Bighorn, Savage, Remington and DTA wrenches on the shelf; black and lasered up for immediate shipment.

Mag kits for AICS and Accurate with Dasher and BR variants are on the shelf. ARC mag kits are being resupplied in the next week or so.

Our muzzle brakes are on the shelf and ready to ship as well.

We are also accepting pre-orders for our new carbon fiber tripods and ballheads here: http://patriotvalleyarms.com/rifle-parts-accessories/tripods/

As things progress or change we will update further.

Thank you,

The Team @ PVA

Patriot Valley Arms
792 Dorlan Mill Road
Downingtown, PA 19335
Shop: (405) 753-0608

Last edited:

j741

Hide Member
Sep 10, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
yup, good to get an update but disappointed that the barreled actions, which I ordered, don't have a rough ETA yet. I guess I mistakenly assumed they would be treated similarly to JHR orders in terms of priority. my bad there as it was never stated that way. Glad it was only a deposit but I am now considering selling my spot to someone else.

Top Bottom