PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2010
Southern MD
I would say no. The Nucleus rail already has 20 MOA built in. Adding another 30 MOA of cant may be too much. You may not be able to get a 100 yard zero and your certainly won’t be near the center of erector travel unless most of your shooting is 1400 yds +.

1jonathan1994

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Laurel, MS
I would say no. The Nucleus rail already has 20 MOA built in. Adding another 30 MOA of cant may be too much. You may not be able to get a 100 yard zero and your certainly won’t be near the center of erector travel unless most of your shooting is 1400 yds +.
Your bullet drops about 2in at 100yds and hob is about 2in so you start with about 4 moa down. 50 - 4 = 46 x 2 = 92. So in a perfect world (haha) a scope with 92 moa of elevation would work in a 50 moa cant. The erector would be jammed to one side. DON'T try to cut it so close unless you can swap out the mount with ease.

Reactions: moshek

moshek

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2018
Your bullet drops about 2in at 100yds and hob is about 2in so you start with about 4 moa down. 50 - 4 = 46 x 2 = 92. So in a perfect world (haha) a scope with 92 moa of elevation would work in a 50 moa cant. The erector would be jammed to one side. DON'T try to cut it so close unless you can swap out the mount with ease.
This is the clearest explanation I’ve seen so far for the maximum possible scope mount angle. Obviously there would be trade offs when pushing to the limit of the scope.

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
Black Hills
Yeah when you push the limits of travel the optical quality drops off, also. Nothing you can do about it, it's physics.

My Nucleus (20 MOA base) has an ARC 20 MOA scope mount (40 total), and with my Vortex AMG 6-24 I have about 3 mils 'above' my zero at 100yd. You can see bias in the black around the FoV because you're looking at the outer edge of the available 'image' from the front lens assy. As I get down 5 or 10 mils (1000+yd), the optical quality is much better.

Being this is a dedicated 1000+yd 300 PRC rig, that's fine. If I was going to be running PRS matches where I'd never dial over 10-13 mils or so, I'd use the 20 MOA base and 0 MOA mount.

schlaiek

LR noob
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2013
Minneapolis
thanks for the catch on the rail, I neglected to factor in the cant from PVA built in.
now to decide if I want another Spuhr or try a MPA mount... I suppose a have a few weeks to decide at the least.

1jonathan1994

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Laurel, MS
After shooting 2 matches with a borrowed Savage Axis that went down once - I finally bought a rifle off a shelf for more money.
Order 2137 from 2-26-18. 6.5creed black RH. Are people still selling their spots?

Reactions: man32ahan

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Finally got mine and got it together. For the cost of shipping they could have packaged these things a lot better. Mine had punched completely through the barrel end of the box.

Agreed on the packaging. Mine was a mess when it showed up.

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie (ICLASA)
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2007
Wautoma, WI
There’s a guy that ordered a JHR about a year ago that works are a box making facility. He could have hooked them up!

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Anyone know if the JH rifles that shipped have the updated bolt head, and if not should we be contacting ARC or PVA (GOOD>FUCKING>LUCK) for the replacement?

Reactions: b6graham

MarkLeupold

On board the .25 train
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
they did a 'recall' on them. somewhere in this thread are the details
Meh, less of a recall than an update. They changed up some geometry on the bolt lugs to help ease the "bump on close" so many people adamantly hated about the Nucleus. It's a voluntary switch and they haven't released information about exchanges yet, but that's their plan.

Reactions: jbailey

b6graham

not a private
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
Meh, less of a recall than an update. They changed up some geometry on the bolt lugs to help ease the "bump on close" so many people adamantly hated about the Nucleus. It's a voluntary switch and they haven't released information about exchanges yet, but that's their plan.
yeah. update. voluntary recall. non issue. pick one of them haha

whenever they get the final solution sorted out for current owners i'm sure we'll hear

Reactions: MarkLeupold

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Did some primer testing this last weekend that I figured some of you may be interested in:

JH rifle in 6.5 CM

Temperature was a max of 23F over the 9 hours I was at the range.

I had ZERO strikes fail in my regular reloaded ammo using cci primers and GMM primers.

I wanted to put the rifle to the test for primers so I loaded up Lapua small rifle primer and Prime large primer and here are the results:

BR4 small rifle: 7/10 misfire
BR2 large rifle: 3/10 misfire
Winchester SR: 0/10 misfire
S&B SR: 0/10 misfire
S&B LR: 0/10 misfire
CCI no41 mil: 9/10 misfire
CCI no34 mil: 8/10 misfire
GMM Sr: 0/10 misfire

(yes I know no one really uses the mil primers for anything other than semi auto work but I had them on hand to try)
Data samples are small I know but this should give you an idea of what to expect. If you’re thinking of using BR primers probably good to get the stronger spring from ARC. Although I think the JH was specced witht the stronger spring so potentially just avoid harder primers.

Reactions: Cup O Joe

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Barrel cleans really easily.

Accuracy seems fine, haven't done enough development to really say for sure but it's averaging well under MOA as expected, but I am not the best "tiny group" shooter so take that for what it's worth coming from me(not much)

Test loads were 123gr Nosler CC (Stinker bullets but I have a lot of them) in Lapua SP over IMR 4451:

51768498_10218561822298879_4293232051903004672_n.jpg
52476627_10218561818698789_5347531353522962432_n.jpg
The bottom five shot here was my best of the day:
52486624_10218561819858818_5957363623759183872_n.jpg
52769502_10218561818378781_8211061529521422336_n.jpg

the feel of the rifle is fantastic. I love the Nucleus action.

Keep in mind that I am not anywhere near as good at smashing tiny groups as most of you, but I think it looks promising.

I'm very interested in getting a two stage trigger but after all the people posting here about problems with different triggers I am not sure the TacSport PRO I have will function well. Has anyone tried one on a nuke?

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
I wanted to put the rifle to the test for primers so I loaded up Lapua small rifle primer and Prime large primer and here are the results:

@TheMammoth -
Is my understanding of this data is correct? You tested 8 different primers, 10 rounds each, for total of 80 rounds fired. And from these 80 rounds, you had 27 misfires, or 34% of the total rounds fired.

Please correct me if my analysis of your data is incorrect, but this is horrible. I would view 1 misfire of 80 as troubling. I have used BR4 and CCI 41's for years in bolt action 6x47 and 6.5x47's at temps across the board and colder than you were experiencing. I am not reporting even 1 misfire thru that time.

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
@TheMammoth -
Is my understanding of this data is correct? You tested 8 different primers, 10 rounds each, for total of 80 rounds fired. And from these 80 rounds, you had 27 misfires, or 34% of the total rounds fired.

Please correct me if my analysis of your data is incorrect, but this is horrible. I would view 1 misfire of 80 as troubling. I have used BR4 and CCI 41's for years in bolt action 6x47 and 6.5x47's at temps across the board and colder than you were experiencing. I am not reporting even 1 misfire thru that time.
You are correct.

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
@TheMammoth -
And that is with a John Hancock. That isn't the same as a stock Nucleus. Josh said he was using a 19 lb spring in his rifles compared to the 16 in the nucleus.

Nouseforaname01

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Austin, TX
Well got my FFL email this morning and a tracking number a couple of hours later, will be cool to fondle and put up for sale since I moved on to a Vector already. On the other hand I could pull the barrel off and get a Valkyrie bolt head and barrel ...... hmmmm

DanGTG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2019
Well got my FFL email this morning and a tracking number a couple of hours later, will be cool to fondle and put up for sale since I moved on to a Vector already. On the other hand I could pull the barrel off and get a Valkyrie bolt head and barrel ...... hmmmm
6.5 Creedmoor? I might be interested in that.

Srgt. Hulka

Lighten Up Francis
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2014
Shreveport, Louisiana
Did some primer testing this last weekend that I figured some of you may be interested in:

JH rifle in 6.5 CM

I had ZERO strikes fail in my regular reloaded ammo using cci primers and GMM primers.

(yes I know no one really uses the mil primers for anything other than semi auto work but I had them on hand to try)
Data samples are small I know but this should give you an idea of what to expect. If you’re thinking of using BR primers probably good to get the stronger spring from ARC. Although I think the JH was specced witht the stronger spring so potentially just avoid harder primers.
I haven’t done any testing on mine, but I’ve shot, I think, 100 rounds through mine. 50 rounds of factory Hornady ELD-M, and 50 of my reloads using BR-2 primers, and I haven’t had a single misfire. All 100 went bang the first time.

Reactions: TheMammoth

1jonathan1994

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Laurel, MS

JH rifle in 6.5 CM

You should disassemble the bolt and look for debris around the firing pin

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
I haven’t done any testing on mine, but I’ve shot, I think, 100 rounds through mine. 50 rounds of factory Hornady ELD-M, and 50 of my reloads using BR-2 primers, and I haven’t had a single misfire. All 100 went bang the first time.
Interesting. It’s possible the pin may have grease on it or something and the cold weather was causing it.

You should disassemble the bolt and look for debris around the firing pin
This is what I’m going to do and I’ll update how it looks.

EDIT: was anyone else's JH missing the screw and washer for bolt disassembly? Mine was probably lost due to how absurdly bad the packaging was destroyed when it got to me.

Last edited:

Cup O Joe

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2018
Interesting. It’s possible the pin may have grease on it or something and the cold weather was causing it.
That’s my guess also. Cold weather and grease don’t mix well. Clean and apply a light coat of oil instead and repeat that test. I’ve got 250rds through mine with zero failures to fire.

Srgt. Hulka

Lighten Up Francis
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2014
Shreveport, Louisiana
I think that's probably it. We don't have sub zero weather here, and I don't think we've had a day in the 20 since I've had my rifle. If we did, I Probably wouldn't be out shooting in it. :D Both times I've had my rifle out, it's been in the 60s.

timmirvin

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Hey Folks! I am back at work and now have plenty of time to post. I received my JHR on 08FEB19. I could not be happier. I have only shot one type of factory ammo out of it so far (Prime) and it has be a tack driver since about round 20. It may have been that good out of the box, but it took me a few rounds to get comfortable on the stock. I now have 91 rounds through it.

Pic 1: Balance might be questionable....
Pic 03: Ready for break-in
Pic 02: My buddy shooting from my stand.
Pic 04: My son shooting the same target as the guys on the stand. We went to the ATV to make hitting a 500 yard 8" plate more of a challenge.....

This is my first post of a picture, hope I did it correctly.

Attachments

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Oh, meant to ask. Where should I get a magazine or two for the JHR?
(6.5CM)
Thanx.....
I'm using ARC mags and they feed perfectly for me in this. Seems like a lot of people have issues with them though so your mileage may vary.

also, thats a sweet stand!

Tikka595II

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2017
The Great State of PA
EDIT: was anyone else's JH missing the screw and washer for bolt disassembly? Mine was probably lost due to how absurdly bad the packaging was destroyed when it got to me.
I don't know how bad your package was but mine was in the small box with the instruction materials in one of the bags with the krg extensions I think, wrapped up with the firing pin take down washer.

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
I don't know how bad your package was but mine was in the small box with the instruction materials in one of the bags with the krg extensions I think, wrapped up with the firing pin take down washer.
That box was open and the material scattered, my stock extensions were just rattling around in what was left of the outer box, so looks like mine was lost. Sigh. Oh well.

I'll try to find a washer and screw to work I guess.

Last edited:

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
You are correct.
wow. I'm sorry. Hopefully you get this straightened out.

RE grease and the firing pin... that thing doesn't need any grease on it as it doesn't wear that much in there and grease will just be a grime trap., However, I don't think 23*F is cold enough to really impact the performance of grease. -23*F, yes, but 23*F ain't cold for a rifle.

I would contact PVA on this issue... they are busy but will help you, as I'm sure they want your JHR perfect, as much as you do, or perhaps more so... They are in the market fighting for a successful business and happy customers is rule #1.

Best of luck my friend. Keep us updated.

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
wow. I'm sorry. Hopefully you get this straightened out.

RE grease and the firing pin... that thing doesn't need any grease on it as it doesn't wear that much in there and grease will just be a grime trap., However, I don't think 23*F is cold enough to really impact the performance of grease. -23*F, yes, but 23*F ain't cold for a rifle.

I would contact PVA on this issue... they are busy but will help you, as I'm sure they want your JHR perfect, as much as you do, or perhaps more so... They are in the market fighting for a successful business and happy customers is rule #1.

Best of luck my friend. Keep us updated.
Yeah, I should have disassembled bolt to clean it before using but it slipped my mind. I will retest this weekend if I can find the time.

I sent a message to them regarding a few issues, such as the packaging, the light strikes, as well as two other things I am not going to mention here until they get back to me.

Bohem sent me a message and is looking into the light strikes. I will update when there's more to know.

Last edited: