ORIGIN Orders

Jul 9, 2017
orange county, ca
Kriller,
I actually did pm josh on 9/17 his response was to be honest off-puting. Which I found odd, because he has always communicated greatly in the past. He said check w Jeremy as he handles emails all day.
I expected, hey man 6 months....let me follow up in that for you.
Maybe, I expected more from the owner of a small business.

I am NOT bashing PVA. I want to do business with them. I want them to super successful and innovate for our sport. I started this thread with excitememt and now I am well just waiting.
That's unfortunate man. I hope you get it all sorted out and get your barrel soon.

ZEROGUY

Newish Hide Member
Mar 21, 2018
Has anyone tried using a magpul mag with the origin? I just tried mine today and there’s a lot of friction between the bolt and feed lips. I’m using a mdt chassis if that matters.
Now I’m worried.

What cartridge are you running? I’m planning on running Magpul mags and Magpul chassis.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
I'd just adjust mag catch to seat it lower or trim the polymer feed lips. Considering there is no AW cut it shouldn't be an issue to run Magpul mags though if the seating depth of the mag is not set correctly it could rub. I personally never got into the polymer AICS mags. Tried em once sold it and went back to aluminum.

Jul 9, 2017
orange county, ca
I'd just adjust mag catch to seat it lower or trim the polymer feed lips. Considering there is no AW cut it shouldn't be an issue to run Magpul mags though if the seating depth of the mag is not set correctly it could rub. I personally never got into the polymer AICS mags. Tried em once sold it and went back to aluminum.
Thanks for the info. I’ll look into it.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Guys. Magpul mags dont work in several actions. Remington 700s for example. Cant file enough feedlips to keep them from binding the bolt with upward mag pressure. They will always over insert. In other actions, such as an axiom, a few swipes of the feed lips with a file will trim them down enough so that they will run with little bolt rub. They will also cycle with upward pressure on the mag.

Codiekfx400

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 29, 2018
Guys. Magpul mags dont work in several actions. Remington 700s for example. Cant file enough feedlips to keep them from binding the bolt with upward mag pressure. They will always over insert. In other actions, such as an axiom, a few swipes of the feed lips with a file will trim them down enough so that they will run with little bolt rub. They will also cycle with upward pressure on the mag.
I have a factory Remington 700 Creedmoor magpul hunter that came with a magpul mag that works excellent.

Jul 29, 2014
Magpul mags seem to work perfect without fail in 1 action repeatedly. The RPR.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
I have a factory Remington 700 Creedmoor magpul hunter that came with a magpul mag that works excellent.
Rest the rifle on the mag and see if cycles. Its not a chassis or bottom metal problem. It is a compatibility problem as the magpul mags can be pushed up inside the remington action ( and others ) too far. Being plastic, they can not be adjusted other than filinging the feed lips. I have also seen them fall out of rifles when the rifle is filed. Metal mags can be adjusted where the magazine meets the mag catch. I guess magpul mags can have jb weld applied

Codiekfx400

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 29, 2018
Rest the rifle on the mag and see if cycles. Its not a chassis or bottom metal problem. It is a compatibility problem as the magpul mags can be pushed up inside the remington action ( and others ) too far. Being plastic, they can not be adjusted other than filinging the feed lips. I have also seen them fall out of rifles when the rifle is filed. Metal mags can be adjusted where the magazine meets the mag catch. I guess magpul mags can have jb weld applied
Wade2big is correct my 700 binds with the magpul mag with rifles weight resting on mag. I just experimented with it now I never knew it was a problem.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Wade2big is correct my 700 binds with the magpul mag with rifles weight resting on mag. I just experimented with it now I never knew it was a problem.
Its not a problem on a static range Codie. Guys that shoot prs very well could have a problem. Guys that hunt could run into problems. It doesnt take a lot of pressure to bind the bolt and unfortunately with some actions the feed lips cannot be filed down enough. The magpul mags feed so much smoother than metal aics magazines. If your action will run with them (like my axiom) run them.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Any Origin owners chime in if you can file enough of the feedlips to get the magazine to run 100%. I wouldn’t file your mag release unless magazines wont seat. If they seat then this isnt the issue.

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 18, 2010
Southern MD
Was this an issue with an Origin action or something else? We want to clarify....

Thank you
Sorry no. This was on an RPR. Forgot what thread I was in and was just taking part in the magazine discussion.

I don't really see this as the fault of the action, just the way things are with bolt guns. FWIW I've seen it on every action I've tried as well and will test it on my TL3 when I get home.

Mar 9, 2017
I got tired of waiting for one to pop up on the classifieds. Just put an order in, #2131. Maybe my suppressor will be here when the action arrives.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I’ll just keep my order for now, don’t want to lose the non-refundable deposit and my bravo chassis is backordered too. DSG had a great price, $309 shipped.

ZEROGUY

Newish Hide Member
Mar 21, 2018
My 240 hour wait period ends in about 6 hours.

Got everything except my .260 AI BBL from PVA, now sitting at 17 weeks.

I'll probably assemble it tonight with my CBI .308 barrel. Looking forward to see how pmags fit and feed with it in my magpul chassis.

Also worried about my trigger. Looking at my order form from Huber the other day I noticed they have an option for Bighorn actions. I just ordered the standard R700 trigger. Hoping mine wont have any issues, we'll find out tonight.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017
orange county, ca
My 240 hour wait period ends in about 6 hours.

Got everything except my .260 AI BBL from PVA, now sitting at 17 weeks.

I'll probably assemble it tonight with my CBI .308 barrel. Looking forward to see how pmags fit and feed with it in my magpul chassis.

Also worried about my trigger. Looking at my order form from Huber the other day I noticed they have an option for Bighorn actions. I just ordered the standard R700 trigger. Hoping mine wont have any issues, we'll find out tonight.
Can’t wait to see your build. Getting mine out of jail soon. Will post a picture later.

ZEROGUY

Newish Hide Member
Mar 21, 2018
Managed to free up a few minutes this evening to mock up my build. Since my .260 AI barrel is still a while out, I threw on my factory savage barrel just to test fit.

Honestly I can’t beleive how well everything fit together. Huber trigger went in easy, barrel was a no brainer, and dropped right into my Magpul chassis. Pmags fit nice and tight with little effort and drop free, and .308 feeds like a dream out of them with this action.

I did manage get the bolt to bind on the feed lips but only if I were to rest the rifle’s weight entirely on the magazine. From the looks of it, a few swipes on the rear 1/3 of each feed lip with a file would solve the problem. And since I shoot mostly prone, I don’t consider it a problem yet.

Overall I’m very happy with how this build is turning out. I will get my new CBI bbl on it this weekend, along with my T5xi and have it out on the range next weekend. EE2F27E3-B143-4913-AED5-E4F763B65A54.jpeg

Last edited:
May 9, 2017
Beattyville Ky
Has anyone put in another order after receiving their first?
I did. I am really liking it, probably more than the nucleus straight up (but definitely at the price difference without preorder discount). Saw quite a few people selling multiples or company's reselling lately. Have enough new toys, will just wait on the order to get filled.

I ordered 2 nucleus's for matched builds for my son and I. Figure I will do the same with origins. Plus we already had matching custom build Savage dual port target action 6mm BR palma builds. Think my son might be spoiled.

Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
Guys,
Need some help. My son and I assembled his rifle. XLR Envy, ORIGIN, PVA 24" .223 Wylde, using MDT Polymer 223 Magazines . He shot it yesterday. After about 10 rounds it settled in nicely to a solid .5-.75moa, this is using Black Hills 556 77gr OTM red box. Very pleased, with just screwing things together in the garage. VERY COOL project with my son.

The one issue was getting the magazines to seat, they are VERY tight in the chassis. Noticed a definite RUB mark above the mag catch spot on the mag. Once more or less forced into lock position they FED well. Any recommendations? sandpaper on the RUB mark? I would definitely rather mod the mag then the chassis.

WHICH bore guide works with the ORIGIN? I dont want to jam my 700 guide in there and booger anything up.

Thanks in advance.

My stock is out being bedded...

Another Casual

Filthy Casual
Feb 27, 2017
Has anyone installed their Origin in a stock with a straight bolt handle cut? If so, anyone have pictures of how much material they had to remove? Trying to decide if it's worth modify my stock when I get my action to hold me over until the one I have on order comes in.

ETA: Also, does the bolt release sit above the stock line or does that need to be opened up too?

Last edited:

dzeke

New Hide Member
Jan 26, 2018
I did use that crowfoot wrench with the Bighorn 12 point barrel nut with a couple issues. The torque wrench will interfere with barrel with the short offset. I solved this by making a "offset extension" from a 1/2" extension. Welded the male and female ends of the extension to a short piece of 1"x1/8" flat iron. It worked excellent for me, I think a 1/2" universal joint would work as well but I wanted something rigid. Obviously the torque will be increased if the extension is inline with the wrench or basically unchanged if it is perpendicular to the wrench. Hopefully this helps!

Attachments

vigildom7

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Has anyone installed their Origin in a stock with a straight bolt handle cut? If so, anyone have pictures of how much material they had to remove? Trying to decide if it's worth modify my stock when I get my action to hold me over until the one I have on order comes in.

ETA: Also, does the bolt release sit above the stock line or does that need to be opened up too?
I did on my McMillan very little I had to remove with a file. Mostly had to open up the ejection port. And the bolt release sits high

Mar 1, 2017
Middle Tennessee
I did use that crowfoot wrench with the Bighorn 12 point barrel nut with a couple issues. The torque wrench will interfere with barrel with the short offset. I solved this by making a "offset extension" from a 1/2" extension. Welded the male and female ends of the extension to a short piece of 1"x1/8" flat iron. It worked excellent for me, I think a 1/2" universal joint would work as well but I wanted something rigid. Obviously the torque will be increased if the extension is inline with the wrench or basically unchanged if it is perpendicular to the wrench. Hopefully this helps!
Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering the flare nut socket already. Now I just have to decide if I want to buy the torque adapter or machine an offset extension for the socket.

aBetterTomorrow

New Hide Member
May 8, 2018
What triggers are yall having good results with? I am getting a lot of "cock on closing" with a Timney Calvin Elite - I adjusted the sear engagement and could tell a noticeable difference but I think I want to try a different brand trigger.