Old cowboy movies

By the way, cowboys and Aliens was taken from a "comic" Many of the scenes were straight from the comic, such as the one where he is staring straight up through the blasted roof. Some lot weaknesses, such as the alien interest in gold when there are other more useful minerals and far easier to get at in the asteroid belt, without having to deal with those pesky humans, BUT, a pretty good standalone movie. No need for a sequel, no need for any explanation. It fit.

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 27, 2009
Ingleside, Tx
I was never of a fan of the Spaghetti westerns, I always preferred the Duke in that era.
However, The Outlaw Josey Wales was an exceptional movie.
Pale Rider = Shane, both very good movies,
Some of the more modern one are pretty damn good as well.
I really liked Open Range
Silverado is well liked by a lot of folks.
If you want something tongue in cheek, Rustlers Rhapsody is a hoot. You have to pay attention.

sandwarrior

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
While it's not a movie, it is real "cowboy" music. Google Dave Stamey and sit back and listen. Buy his stuff if you like true western genre. And of course, if you really like it, buy the music so Dave don't starve. He's a great poet as well, and was recently inducted into the Cowboy Poetry Hall of Fame. And yeah, he got his start as a real cowboy (buckaroo actually) and rode the ride, and walked the talk.

colorado_native

Colorado_native
Jan 6, 2018
Aztec, NM
I totally overlooked Butch Cassidy. That's a great movie. Except for the really ghey bicycle scene. Though the safety bicycle was having a fad then... so it is historically-correct.

Great flick. Great post!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Yep can't leave that one out. I still haven't seen the new version "Butch and Sundance" I believe it is.

Drawman623

New Hide Member
Feb 1, 2018
+1 for Joe Kidd + Outlaw Josey Whales
Valdez is Coming is a must. (Lancaster)
The Missouri Breaks (Nicholson)
The Appaloosa (1966) (Brando)

May 14, 2013
Agree with all..... a few I would recommend:
Culpepper Cattle Company
The Sacketts(t.v. series)
Centennial (t.v. series)
Rio Grande ( Ken Curtis AKA Festus) sings lead for Sons of the Pioneers. That show is when Duke first noticed Ken.
Comes a Horseman (if you can stomach Hanoi Jane, there's some good ropin' and gatherin' scenes...... and who doesn't like Richard Farnsworth.....

Mike 556

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 31, 2018
Northeast PA
Anything Eastwood, Josey Wales was probably my favorite. He's an easy man to track, leaves dead men wherever he goes. Classic! The Lonesome Dove mini series was excellent, Robert Duvall was made for his part.

Spblademaker

Don’t tell my wife
Oct 24, 2017
Lots of great suggestions. I’ll add:
The Dark Valley
(Though not an old western, done very well.)

Otherwise:
Soldier Blue

Last edited:

PistoleroJesse

Pistol:Expert Rifle:Novice Shotgun:Jackwagon
Jul 31, 2014
Indiana
plus.google.com
I remember watching The Cowboys when I was a teen in the 90s. Everything my Father was trying to teach me clicked right there and then.

Then I took him to see Fight Club. I don't think we've had a single diagreement since...

Top Bottom