Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

mstang1988

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 6, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks for the feedback. Ended up ordering an A1 SRS LH in .308 22” and 6.5 creedmore from Europtics. Any recommendations for factor ammunition? It’s been nearly 6 years since I’ve hand loaded and I’m less worried about the cost side as of late, more worried about the time.

I was looking at prime, FGMM, and the desert tech ammo along with Hornandy Match.

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Thanks for the feedback. Ended up ordering an A1 SRS LH in .308 22” and 6.5 creedmore from Europtics. Any recommendations for factor ammunition? It’s been nearly 6 years since I’ve hand loaded and I’m less worried about the cost side as of late, more worried about the time.

I was looking at prime, FGMM, and the desert tech ammo along with Hornandy Match.
Good for you.

I’ve shot all the brands you listed through my DT. My 308 barrel really likes Prime (old version, haven’t shot the new stuff), and Desert Tech. The Desert Tech stuff is pricey but shoots really really well. I more often shoot FGMM because it’s cheaper and I’m just shooting steel. It’s not quite as accurate, but for fun range time it’s a great value. I don’t have a 6.5 creedmoor barrel anymore but when I did it liked Hornady really well.

rydah

Moons out goons out.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019

Obvious choice for accuracy would be the desert tech ammo because they guarantee it’ll shoot half inch.
For practice ammo I run Hornady American gunner 140gr bthp. For cheap bulk ammo (200 round cans) it’s great (shoots half inch groups for me) and I shoot it out to 800m weekly. There’s a recent thread about that ammo on here and pretty much everyone has good things to say about it.

sneakyl33

Private
Belligerents
Sep 5, 2009
South Mississippi
I bought an A2 Covert 308 for LE duty use a couple months back. We shoot FGMM 168’s in addition to a bonded round. I’ve shot FGMM 168’s in at least 6 different rifles and it groups pretty well in all of them. Even another one with a 1:8 twist barrel. That said, I can’t get my Covert to group any better than about .8 MOA, and that’s on a good day. My Desert Tech experience has been pretty disappointing so far, and there’s more to it that I won’t go into right now because at this point I’m here to troubleshoot, not complain. First I wanna rule out the possibility that it just doesn’t like this ammo. I’ve pretty much ruled out shooter error, unless this is just the most absolutely unforgiving precision rifle I’ve ever shot. Does anybody else have experience with this particular rifle/ammo combination that can tell me what kinda groups you’re getting?

cro789

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
tn
I see the barrel for the covert in 308 is 16" and 1-8 twist. The question I have is how accurate is it with 168 or even 155 grain bullets?

Reactions: Edgecrusher

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
I have a customer who tried the 168 FGMM ammo in his covert and had difficulty getting it under an inch. We loaded up some 175gr matchkings in the fired Federal brass and the rifle shot about a half inch consistently. The covert barrels don't always seem to like the Federal and I'm not sure why. On the other hand the factory barrels seem to be capable of excellent accuracy with properly loaded ammo. Factory stuff just isn't always right for all barrels.

Frank

sneakyl33

Private
Belligerents
Sep 5, 2009
South Mississippi
I’ll try some 175’s soon just to see what happens, but the issue is that we are issued FGMM 168’s, so that’s what I’m stuck with whether the gun will group with them or not. It would be more realistic for me to change guns/barrels than to switch to a different ammo.

Also I did talk to someone at Desert Tech who said that he has used FGMM 168’s a lot in a covert 308 and they were sub half-moa.

rydah

Moons out goons out.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
I’ll try some 175’s soon just to see what happens, but the issue is that we are issued FGMM 168’s, so that’s what I’m stuck with whether the gun will group with them or not. It would be more realistic for me to change guns/barrels than to switch to a different ammo.

Also I did talk to someone at Desert Tech who said that he has used FGMM 168’s a lot in a covert 308 and they were sub half-moa.
I don’t understand why it’s the rifles fault that the barrel doesn’t like a certain ammo. Buying a factory rifle and hoping it likes a certain factory ammo is just spinning the dice. If it doesn’t shoot a certain ammo it just doesn’t shoot it, move on, sell the barrel because there’s probably nothing wrong with it and get something built and tailored to the ammo you’re required to run.

I would be contacting the top guys doing desert tech barrel like es tactical, short action customs or special purpose rifles (if they can’t help then call someone like Dave Tooley) and have them spec the twist rate and barrel length for the bullet you’ll be running and also choose the reamer and specs to cut the chamber to so you get the performance you need when running Factory 168 FGMM.

Rogerthatout

Private
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm selling a couple DTS Bartlein barrels. Just built a dedicated PRS rifle and these not needed. I posted them on sale thread as well.

26" .308 shot about 500 rounds. 2,900 fps superperformance ELDs 168gr.
And 26" 300 NORM not broken in. Maybe 10 shots. 3150 fps

Both chambered by Marc @ SAC

1k for .308, area419 w universal adapter included. 3 shot groups shown below

1,300 for 300NORM w complete bolt, magazine and area419 universal adapter

These barrels shoot amazing

Spec sheets
Screenshot_20191001-134329_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Screenshot_20190926-034344_Dropbox.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Rogerthatout

Private
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
I don’t understand why it’s the rifles fault that the barrel doesn’t like a certain ammo. Buying a factory rifle and hoping it likes a certain factory ammo is just spinning the dice. If it doesn’t shoot a certain ammo it just doesn’t shoot it, move on, sell the barrel because there’s probably nothing wrong with it and get something built and tailored to the ammo you’re required to run.

I would be contacting the top guys doing desert tech barrel like es tactical, short action customs or special purpose rifles (if they can’t help then call someone like Dave Tooley) and have them spec the twist rate and barrel length for the bullet you’ll be running and also choose the reamer and specs to cut the chamber to so you get the performance you need when running Factory 168 FGMM.
SAC made me two tack drivers. I love his work.

Reactions: Baer45 and cro789

TMR137

Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Middleton Idaho
I bought an A2 Covert 308 for LE duty use a couple months back. We shoot FGMM 168’s in addition to a bonded round. I’ve shot FGMM 168’s in at least 6 different rifles and it groups pretty well in all of them. Even another one with a 1:8 twist barrel. That said, I can’t get my Covert to group any better than about .8 MOA, and that’s on a good day. My Desert Tech experience has been pretty disappointing so far, and there’s more to it that I won’t go into right now because at this point I’m here to troubleshoot, not complain. First I wanna rule out the possibility that it just doesn’t like this ammo. I’ve pretty much ruled out shooter error, unless this is just the most absolutely unforgiving precision rifle I’ve ever shot. Does anybody else have experience with this particular rifle/ammo combination that can tell me what kinda groups you’re getting?
My A2 covert in 308 dislikes pretty much every 168 I have shot through it. FGMM, Hornady Match and Tap. Best groups where just under 1 moa (with me shooting). It hates 155’s. I tossed in some reloads mimicked after the M118LR and it was half minute. Never went back to the lighter round.
Also department pricing on the 168 and 175 are usually the exact same price, so if your rifle likes it better, talk to whomever you need to and have them order it for you.

deersniper

You can't handle the Truth
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2007
Northeast
Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Great idea, as I am not too far away from picking one of these up as well.

One question though for those with the .308 conversion. How far out does the barrell extend past the rail? Any reason to be concerned if a suppressor and rail would conflict with each other? (Specifically looking to run a Shark on it)
Plenty of room for a thread on. On the covert.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: Maddybrook

Georgedubya

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2018
Westchester County, NY
Obvious choice for accuracy would be the desert tech ammo because they guarantee it’ll shoot half inch.
For practice ammo I run Hornady American gunner 140gr bthp. For cheap bulk ammo (200 round cans) it’s great (shoots half inch groups for me) and I shoot it out to 800m weekly. There’s a recent thread about that ammo on here and pretty much everyone has good things to say about it.
I also love this ammo. Usually shoot the 147 eldms, and I use bartlein barrel, but The DT barrels honestly seem to shoot the same in my experience.

Reactions: rydah

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
What is everyone using to change barrels? Are you using the Desert Tech torque wrench or another brand
I bought the Desert Tech maintenance kit at the same time I bought my chassis. It is a really nice kit. However, if I were shopping now I'd have to give a hard look at the Borka kit. I believe a new kit was released recently. Very nice stuff and as mentioned @kortik is good dude.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Nov 19, 2013
is anyone aware of a backpack style pack that will fully encompass a covert w/ 16.5 bbl w/ brake?

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
i've used the Borka kit for years. @kortik makes them. He's a great guy and obviously supports the Hide
I bought the Desert Tech maintenance kit at the same time I bought my chassis. It is a really nice kit. However, if I were shopping now I'd have to give a hard look at the Borka kit. I believe a new kit was released recently. Very nice stuff and as mentioned @kortik is good dude.
seekonk 70" pound T wrench
Seekonk BT-2L
Thanks. I ordered a new and improved Borka Field Kit. It will work well with my bikes, too.

Last edited:

Tactical_Tom

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 15, 2009
PA, Bradford
I changed the barrel kit it on my SRS A1 twice today and the second time I heard a squeaking or a clicking sound when the bolts were close to final torque. The barrel kit has been used but the chassis was brand new and not shot before. Is it something to worry about? It didn't make those sounds the first time I installed the barrel kit.

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
College Station, Tx
I changed the barrel kit it on my SRS A1 twice today and the second time I heard a squeaking or a clicking sound when the bolts were close to final torque. The barrel kit has been used but the chassis was brand new and not shot before. Is it something to worry about? It didn't make those sounds the first time I installed the barrel kit.
The screws are probably dry. Mine did it when new. I took the skins off and put grease on them.

Clamping force is increased for a given torque by lubricating the fastener but it hasn't caused me any issues

Tt78

Private
Belligerents
May 17, 2014
is anyone aware of a backpack style pack that will fully encompass a covert w/ 16.5 bbl w/ brake?
Price is steep but it's otherwise perfect. I ride the hog to the range some days.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: GungHo

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
August 20th....it’s important to note I ordered a longer barrel, 30”, and the twist of 1:9 for 30 cal is a little uncommon yet. Took a bit longer than usual for those reasons.

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
I'm thinking about getting my new barrel cerakoted. Have any of you found which flat dark earth color matches the DT skins well? I had no idea there were so many variations until I started to look.

NET65

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 19, 2009
TX
I'm thinking about getting my new barrel cerakoted. Have any of you found which flat dark earth color matches the DT skins well? I had no idea there were so many variations until I started to look.
I think the A1’s were pretty uniformly magpul FDE, but the A2’s have different shades of FDE between the coated metal and skins.

Mr. Zick

Peanut Gallery
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Wisconsin
So, while you all were waiting on your rifle, did it seem to take years for it to arrive? I’m on day 11 and it feels like I ordered last century.
I ordered a CZ 457 VPT on March 5th....
My first Defiance took 10 months.
Hope you remember you ordered by the time they call.