Nucleus Orders

Nov 19, 2013
Does anyone who has installed a PVA barrel nut for savage prefit happen to know what size crow foot is needed and what torque is recommended? failing a crows foot, how many turns from finger tight are required to achieve proper torque with a traditional wrench?

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
Does anyone who has installed a PVA barrel nut for savage prefit happen to know what size crow foot is needed and what torque is recommended? failing a crows foot, how many turns from finger tight are required to achieve proper torque with a traditional wrench?
Our barrel nut uses a 1-1/4" standard wrench. A big adjustable works, that's what I use in the shop.

As far as torque goes, keep it in the 40ftlb range. It doesn't need to go anywhere near as tight as a shouldered barrel.

Dec 22, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Our barrel nut uses a 1-1/4" standard wrench. A big adjustable works, that's what I use in the shop.

As far as torque goes, keep it in the 40ftlb range. It doesn't need to go anywhere near as tight as a shouldered barrel.
What is the recommended torque for your shouldered barrels on the nucleus? Also, what type of grease do you recommend for the threads?

Feb 15, 2017
WYOMING
Feb 12, 2017
Central Iowa
Who says Friday the 13th is bad luck?

I picked up my Nucleus from my FFL. Then got home to find my PVA barrel was delivered.

Now waiting on action wrench, PRS stock from the group buy and a Super 700 trigger; but thinking about going with a TT instead.

Aug 3, 2017
Who says Friday the 13th is bad luck?

I picked up my Nucleus from my FFL. Then got home to find my PVA barrel was delivered.

Now waiting on action wrench, PRS stock from the group buy and a Super 700 trigger; but thinking about going with a TT instead.
Did you have a shipping notification from PVA?

Feb 12, 2017
Central Iowa
Thanks, figured that was the case. Just waiting on my barrel.
I emailed PVA a couple weeks ago about my barrel when I seen others were starting to get theirs. I only asked because I didn't order thru the website but thru a PM with Josh and mailed payment so I had never checked to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle.

Anyway Jeremy said they were about half way thru shipping barrels then so I would think it won't be much longer if they have the blanks.

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque, nm
I've shot mine. And I'll be taking it to a match tomorrow. What info were you looking for?
What round are you using and are there any feeding extracting, or ejecting issues? Is the crf pretty reliable and consistent? How's the action breaking in? Not really too concerned with how smooth it is since there's going to be resistance while feeding a round from a magazine, but curious if the bolt lines to catch anywhere due to the big extractor, or if it can hang up on the mechanical ejector

Apr 18, 2010
Southern MD
I'm using 6 dasher. No issues feeding. Bolt has some resistance upon close with loaded round, but I think that's more due to me setting minimum headspace. Do not have this issue with empty chamber.

CRF doesn't work exactly as it should as the bolt does not capture the round as soon as it leaves mag. Instead, its captured closer to chamber. The rim still slides under the extractor like a CRF as opposed to the extractor snapping over like a push feed. I have yet to get a feeding problem, running fast or slow. 6 dasher loaded with 110 SMK is pretty much the most difficult to feed and I couldn't get it to fail.

When pulling back on the bolt and pressing down, it can hang up a bit towards the end of its travel. I think it's due to the extractor on the receiver walls. This was common at first but now that I've cycled it a bunch it only happens when I go very slow and basically trying to get it to happen. Pulling back and upwards the bolt is butter smooth.

I have no issues with bolt close.

I'm headed to the range now and will report anything else I see.

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque, nm
I'm using 6 dasher. No issues feeding. Bolt has some resistance upon close with loaded round, but I think that's more due to me setting minimum headspace. Do not have this issue with empty chamber.

CRF doesn't work exactly as it should as the bolt does not capture the round as soon as it leaves mag. Instead, its captured closer to chamber. The rim still slides under the extractor like a CRF as opposed to the extractor snapping over like a push feed. I have yet to get a feeding problem, running fast or slow. 6 dasher loaded with 110 SMK is pretty much the most difficult to feed and I couldn't get it to fail.

When pulling back on the bolt and pressing down, it can hang up a bit towards the end of its travel. I think it's due to the extractor on the receiver walls. This was common at first but now that I've cycled it a bunch it only happens when I go very slow and basically trying to get it to happen. Pulling back and upwards the bolt is butter smooth.

I have no issues with bolt close.

I'm headed to the range now and will report anything else I see.
Well if it reliably feeds 6 dasher I have a feeling it will cycle anything! Thank you for the info. All the negatives you listed are so minor I wouldn't even really consider them negatives! Good luck with the match.

Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
I have shot mine at the range on the bench. I am liking it. I may get some video put together of that. It does have quirks that seem to be fading as I run it more, as Lenny said.

I got a comment on one of my YouTube videos, that if the feed lips are shorter, then the shoulder of the round below it will push the round up into the CRF. I am going to cut back one of my Magpul mags and see.

Dec 17, 2017
Got my order in today, #248x (there was a long delay at the FFL, invoice was received on the 29th).

Like others mentioned, the serial number is in a pretty cool location that makes the receiver look really clean and smooth since it's not marred up anywhere for the serial number. It did, however, throw me and my FFL for a bit of a loop since I hadn't seen anyone actually mention the physical location of it. It's stamped on the bottom edge of the ejection port, facing up. I thought that was a nice touch.

I also think I've figured out the reason that the Nucleus feels so much smoother when you run it fast than when you try to run it slowly, after playing around with it for a couple hundred cycles. If you let the bolt slide forwards all the way, then try to press straight down on the bolt handle the bolt will not close. To get the bolt to close you have to press down AND forwards when you try to close it. Pressing only down will not close it. So it's almost the opposite of most actions I've felt, where pushing forwards while trying to close the bolt will bind it up.

As a result of this I've found I can cycle this action a LOT faster than the Savage 12FV I've got lying around. The Savage binds up when I try to run it really fast if I push forwards while pulling down on the bolt. The Nucleus requires at least a gentle push forwards on the bolt, so slamming it home while you pull it down only seems to make it faster.

Also mentioned by a couple others, but I really do like the bolt knob on it (which is the same as the Mausingfield). It's honestly perfectly shaped to get a really good grip on it with your index finger and thumb. It's also a great shape if you like to just lift the bolt with your extended index finger, since the finger sits right in the little groove in that case. I think the bolt knob is honestly one of my favorite parts, if not my favorite part, of the action just because it feels really nice in the hand to me compared to everything else I've felt.

EDIT: I think I also figured out the binding issue at the back of the bolt cycle that was present in some of the Nucleus videos out. When I take the bolt out and replace it, I get binding at the back of the bolt's cycle if I only turn the bolt stop when the bolt is all the way forwards. You need to hold the bolt just barely past the bolt stop to turn it all the way. I didn't experience binding at the back of the bolt's cycle when I made sure the bolt stop was fully rotated after re-inserting the bolt.

Sierra770

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 2, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I really like to bolt throw. It likes a firm treatment.

Any issues with headspace and extractor impingement/protrusion issues with the garden variety criterion, shilen, etc prefits. I know it has been asked earlier, but just want to keep the question fresh since it was a topic of discussion early on in the other thread.
Looking to grab a variety of barrels...and whatever has a short lead time.

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
Got my order in today, #248x (there was a long delay at the FFL, invoice was received on the 29th).

Like others mentioned, the serial number is in a pretty cool location that makes the receiver look really clean and smooth since it's not marred up anywhere for the serial number. It did, however, throw me and my FFL for a bit of a loop since I hadn't seen anyone actually mention the physical location of it. It's stamped on the bottom edge of the ejection port, facing up. I thought that was a nice touch.

I also think I've figured out the reason that the Nucleus feels so much smoother when you run it fast than when you try to run it slowly, after playing around with it for a couple hundred cycles. If you let the bolt slide forwards all the way, then try to press straight down on the bolt handle the bolt will not close. To get the bolt to close you have to press down AND forwards when you try to close it. Pressing only down will not close it. So it's almost the opposite of most actions I've felt, where pushing forwards while trying to close the bolt will bind it up.

As a result of this I've found I can cycle this action a LOT faster than the Savage 12FV I've got lying around. The Savage binds up when I try to run it really fast if I push forwards while pulling down on the bolt. The Nucleus requires at least a gentle push forwards on the bolt, so slamming it home while you pull it down only seems to make it faster.

Also mentioned by a couple others, but I really do like the bolt knob on it (which is the same as the Mausingfield). It's honestly perfectly shaped to get a really good grip on it with your index finger and thumb. It's also a great shape if you like to just lift the bolt with your extended index finger, since the finger sits right in the little groove in that case. I think the bolt knob is honestly one of my favorite parts, if not my favorite part, of the action just because it feels really nice in the hand to me compared to everything else I've felt.

EDIT: I think I also figured out the binding issue at the back of the bolt cycle that was present in some of the Nucleus videos out. When I take the bolt out and replace it, I get binding at the back of the bolt's cycle if I only turn the bolt stop when the bolt is all the way forwards. You need to hold the bolt just barely past the bolt stop to turn it all the way. I didn't experience binding at the back of the bolt's cycle when I made sure the bolt stop was fully rotated after re-inserting the bolt.
A video of your edit comment would be cool.

Sep 5, 2017
I have shot mine at the range on the bench. I am liking it. I may get some video put together of that. It does have quirks that seem to be fading as I run it more, as Lenny said.

I got a comment on one of my YouTube videos, that if the feed lips are shorter, then the shoulder of the round below it will push the round up into the CRF. I am going to cut back one of my Magpul mags and see.
That was me. Works really good with 6mm creedmoor in my bighorn sr3!

Sep 5, 2017
. I cut the magazine lips on my accurate mag back to about 1/8” behind the shoulder. Approximately. Now the lower case pushes the top one straight up into the bolt face Before, with the unmodified magazine the upper case would get pushed up AND forward by the angled shoulder of the case underneath and jump in front of the bolt face and it would then act like a push feed. ARC magazines have approximately the same length lips as I have on my modified accurate mag. Works really well now on my bighorn SR3 It works with my 5 and my 10 round accurate mag. There is a video on YouTube also of a mausingfield showcasing this exact issue. With an accurate or AICS mag it doesn’t feed exactly perfect. But with an ALPHA mag which has similar lips to the Arc (behind the case shoulder). It feeds absolutely perfect Here it is.
AT 1:15 in the video pause it. You’ll see how the lips on the alpha are behind the shoulder. And are in front of the shoulder on the aics/accurate I have a magpul mag that also tries to push feed. I may modify it also to see if it’ll work better.

Sep 5, 2017
Pause the video at 3:44. When he’s slow feeds the accurate mag it doesn’t fully pop the case up under the extractor and the bolt needs pushed all the way forward to center the case in the bolt head. With the shorter feed lips it is SO much smoother and I can only speculate that the nucleus will work better with that style of feed lips.

Sep 5, 2017
Worked for me with my bighorn. Hopefully will work with the nucleus. Results may vary lol. I’m waiting on a 223 face nucleus so that might be a whole new animal but I’m sure I’ll get it to work. Judging by Teds products he doesn’t make mistakes very often if not at all.. the m10 rings are spectacular and all I will ever use from now on unless somehow someway he makes them even better... hint hint. A built in level! Hint. Lol And BTW on ARC ring height as previously asked earlier in the thread.... the SUPERLOW 30mm 20mm height fit my NXS 3.5-15x50 on the bighorn with about 2mm clearance on the bell to my varmint contour barrel. They also fit a swfa 42mm on a ruger American223 and a ruger American rimfire 17hmr. actually I haven’t found a platform they won’t fit besides a chassis with a tube or AR style full rail , obviously. I can’t wait to get my Nucleus !!!!

Dec 17, 2017
A video of your edit comment would be cool.
I'll add a video of what I was talking about sometime tomorrow. The general gist of it is that there's kind of a "half" set position for the bolt stop, and then a fully set position. If you have it in the "half set" position it'll catch/bind at the back of the bolt throw, and you can only get it into the fully set position when the bolt is almost removed from the rifle (the same position where you can undo the bolt stop from). It'll be easier to describe in the video, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Jul 30, 2013
Lincoln, NE
I emailed PVA a couple weeks ago about my barrel when I seen others were starting to get theirs. I only asked because I didn't order thru the website but thru a PM with Josh and mailed payment so I had never checked to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle.

Anyway Jeremy said they were about half way thru shipping barrels then so I would think it won't be much longer if they have the blanks.
I received an email from Jeremy on Friday and said most barrels ordered for the nucleus are waiting to be lasered and should be out next week some time.

Sep 5, 2017
I'm sure Ted makes mistakes all the time, he just fixes them before they make it to production.

Hell, a lot of innovation comes from mistakes, like Post-It notes and ice cream cones. Edison failed hundreds or thousands of times before inventing the light bulb.
Agreed, and a better way to say what I meant ! His final products are the best of the best

Sep 5, 2017
That thing is sweet. And a tangent theta on top? Nice lol. Mine is gonna be a 204. With a shilen varmint contour spiral fluted by LRI in a greyboe terrain, and topped with a Vx5hd impact 29! Love thumpin coyotes with that round. So I figured why not have a sweet action! Haha Already have a load nailed down with the barrel thanks to my old savage action! All I’ll need to do is screw it toether and bed it!

Attachments

Dec 17, 2017
No problem. I'm just sitting here cycling it while going about my business so I'll post more videos if I notice other quirks that are hard to explain in text.

I'm putting a Criterion 6BR pre-fit on it, which should arrive sometime this week if all goes well, so I'm definitely looking forwards to getting it out to the range and testing it. The scope is just a perk of working for a TT dealer, since they let me use their demo scope for competition!

Jul 30, 2013
Lincoln, NE
No problem. I'm just sitting here cycling it while going about my business so I'll post more videos if I notice other quirks that are hard to explain in text.

I'm putting a Criterion 6BR pre-fit on it, which should arrive sometime this week if all goes well, so I'm definitely looking forwards to getting it out to the range and testing it. The scope is just a perk of working for a TT dealer, since they let me use their demo scope for competition!
Have you noticed anything with the ejector? Unless I’m racking the bolt with some authority, the bolt seems to get stuck as the ejector swings into place. Especially if I open the bolt fairly slow.

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 18, 2010
Southern MD
Have you noticed anything with the ejector? Unless I’m racking the bolt with some authority, the bolt seems to get stuck as the ejector swings into place. Especially if I open the bolt fairly slow.
Mine did the same. Keep cycling it to break it in. Push up on the bolt as you pull it back should help too. It'll eventually go away.

Dec 17, 2017
When I was first cycling the action I noticed it was far more prone to hanging up at the back of the bolt stroke than it is now (I've probably put 1-2,000 dry fire cycles on it by now, enough to make the crook of my index finger a bit sore). Now I don't really notice any binding at the back of the bolt stroke unless I have the bolt stop in the wrong position.

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
So I received my KRG Bravo stock for this Nucleus build. This is one awesome stock and GREAT value for what you get. High quality with tons of cool and useful accessory options you can add. I really like the ability to add the ARCA rail and then the Spigot attachment is friggin really nice. Very satisfied with this.

Jun 28, 2017
Las Vegas
No idea what it means but I just got notification that my pre order #29XX is complete. Not sure if I should pester them to pay the rest or what not. From the others here it sounds like they will contact for payment, so I am thinking to leave them be for a while.

Top Bottom