Nucleus Orders

NICETRY

Sergeant
Apr 14, 2013
Oklahoma
Just the recoil lug is locked in by the rail on the bar lock Nucleus version.

Did I see somewhere Ted mentioning that he was going to do an extended rail that limiting the rotation of the barloc when tightening it? It looks like the barloc is shaped for it, there just needs to be some protuberance that would prevent it from rotating.

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
I'm 2499 and have a short and long action lefty. Pretty sure I'm gonna get screwed. Lefty's always do.
They already said the lefty’s are NOT going to get screwed. We should be getting invoiced in August some time. Same issues they had with righty in the beginning with Supplier not following through and they moved production to in house. I’m 252* and have spoke with ARC about 2 weeks ago about LH.

Dec 21, 2009
Petersburg, WV
Just the recoil lug is locked in by the rail on the bar lock Nucleus version.
I’m aware, I thought I saw somewhere that the barloc would also be indexed with the rail though. I’m trying to find the source, he sort of hints at it on the barloc Facebook video, he points out something on top of the barloc while mentioning that the demo action doesn’t have a rail on it, then changes the subject and says that’s an extra detail for later on.

Feb 10, 2017
I’m aware, I thought I saw somewhere that the barloc would also be indexed with the rail though. I’m trying to find the source, he sort of hints at it on the barloc Facebook video, he points out something on top of the barloc while mentioning that the demo action doesn’t have a rail on it, then changes the subject and says that’s an extra detail for later on.
I know the video you're speaking of and I took it to mean that the recoil lug would be what was being indexed by the rail to keep it perfectly vertical with the action without the need for an alignment tool or having the lug pinned.

Another Casual

Filthy Casual
Feb 27, 2017
There's a Facebook post from ARC in November showing it, but it also has the screw lower etc. Originally they were saying you'd have to cut a relief in the barrel for the screw, later versions moved it up. Might be that it is too tall to be indexed against the rail now. Either way, I'd trade having to index the barloc for not having to have to modify every barrel any day.

aBetterTomorrow

New Hide Member
May 8, 2018
i dont think it would work very well because the rail would have to leave enough room for the barloc to slide into without the clamping screw then the screw is too high up to tighten if it was inside a rail

Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
Has anyone received, or received an invoice for, a long action yet?
I ordered a short action and long action. My long action is in magnum bolt face. I haven't heard anything on the long action. And, if they have the magnum bolt faces made by that time, I hope I am one of the first to come off the line.

Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
You should be able to see the Barloc recoil lug indexing on the rail in my videos, especially the ones where I tear down and build it back up. They are in the Nucleus videos thread I started.

Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
There's a Facebook post from ARC in November showing it, but it also has the screw lower etc. Originally they were saying you'd have to cut a relief in the barrel for the screw, later versions moved it up. Might be that it is too tall to be indexed against the rail now. Either way, I'd trade having to index the barloc for not having to have to modify every barrel any day.
Yeah, the original video Ted did had the cross bolt for the Barloc lower, which would have required notching every barrel. Thankfully, he moved it up enough so that a plain prefit works.

Dec 21, 2009
Petersburg, WV
You should be able to see the Barloc recoil lug indexing on the rail in my videos, especially the ones where I tear down and build it back up. They are in the Nucleus videos thread I started.
I know the recoil lug in held captive by the rail, I’m referring to the clamping mechanism being indexed by an onverhanging rail bit. That way you don’t end up using an Allen wrench to lever it into position to line up correctly.

aBetterTomorrow

New Hide Member
May 8, 2018
It looks like the clamping mechanism is notched out so it can be held from rotating by an overhanging rail. That’s why I’m confused as to why it doesn’t work that way
the gap has to close when you tighten the Barloc.
and in the photos it looks like the Barloc is much wider than the scope rails

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque, nm
The barloc doesn't have to be 100% perfectly vertical to be functional from the looks of it. It's just looks better if it is. Do what hereinaz did and set it to roughly 11oclock then tighten, or use some rubber padded clamps to hold it aligned while tightening down the barrel nut maybe? Doesn't seem the barrel nut needs much force in it to snug it up

May 12, 2017
So this thing doesn't need a barloc to attach barrel, just savage pre-fit with barrel nut? It looks like the Barloc is more trouble, can anyone state its advantages?

Winny94

Sergeant
Nov 19, 2013
So this thing doesn't need a barloc to attach barrel, just savage pre-fit with barrel nut? It looks like the Barloc is more trouble, can anyone state its advantages?
No action/barrel vise. No requirement to remove the action from chassis to change barrel. Can change barrel in the field.

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque, nm
No action/barrel vise. No requirement to remove the action from chassis to change barrel. Can change barrel in the field.
Also, no more pain in the ass barrel nut that turns the barrel when you torque it and screws up the perfectly set headspace you had going. At least for those of us who don't have anything more than an action wrench and barrel nut wrench

Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
Also, no more pain in the ass barrel nut that turns the barrel when you torque it and screws up the perfectly set headspace you had going. At least for those of us who don't have anything more than an action wrench and barrel nut wrench
These two guys sum it up pretty well.

You don't need the Barloc if you are gonna do just one barrel and leave it till you shoot it out. You can manage without it. But, it is nice enough to spend the money. I will still do barrel nuts on some Savage actions, but Barlock is souch easier.

bravesirrobin

New Hide Member
Jan 25, 2018
It looks like the clamping mechanism is notched out so it can be held from rotating by an overhanging rail. That’s why I’m confused as to why it doesn’t work that way
I don't have mine yet, but if I understand it correctly, when you tighten the collar the top of it will not stay perfectly flat, because as the gap closes the two sides are also moving a bit in the Y axis. That might make it difficult to index via a flat bottom on a rail.

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque, nm
I'm going to be selling off my order spot for a lefty sa. Order 241x. Posted it in the left hand for sale. Buddy is selling me his build on an impact precision so I can make the next few matches coming up. I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret selling this!

flyer

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 25, 2018
I don't know when I'll get mine but I intend to try putting the screw in from the left hand side and using a shim or feeler gauge to block the bolt hole so I can spread the tensioner and get everything aligned by hand, then loosen the bolt to create partial tension, take it out and screw it back in on the right hand side to tension the threads.

If that works, it will align any way you want it.

That V2 drawing looks good, you would use a scope ring to align the tensioner but you still need to tighten the barrel/barrel nut enough to spread the tensioner which is when you'll potentially lose return to zero alignment.

Feb 23, 2017
It's not a big deal really having to index the Barloc. First it doesn't need to be perfectly horizontal (the top flat on Barloc), second even if you are as anal as me wanting it to be perfectly horizontal, it's not hard to do it by hand - remember the torque on the ring doesn't have to be at a specific setting, just so the gap is wide enough so the wrench fits. It took me just a minute or two to get it perfect with BA on barrel vise, then take it off and torque the hex screw to specified settings.

Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
Is anyone planning on swithcing barrels, w/o re-zeroing, and if not, does it really matter if its within .5 MOA or 2 MOA? Its still just a shot, one adjustment, a confirming shot, and good to go.
That is where I am @Winny94 Frankly, getting a perfect return to zero is pretty low priority on my list of things at this point. I'd never trust a rifle to return to zero perfectly anyhow, and, that's just me. Whatever the circumstances, I'll take that first shot at 100 yards, and be able to adjust it. I can't think of a time during my use of a rifle, that I'd make a switch and rely on a perfect zero on the "cold bore" shot.

So, for me, whether it is .5 or 2.5 MOA, isn't a big deal for me. Besides, I'm mostly over the switchbarrel thing. I just like the ability to swap barrels more easily and reliably.

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
That is where I am @Winny94 Frankly, getting a perfect return to zero is pretty low priority on my list of things at this point. I'd never trust a rifle to return to zero perfectly anyhow, and, that's just me. Whatever the circumstances, I'll take that first shot at 100 yards, and be able to adjust it. I can't think of a time during my use of a rifle, that I'd make a switch and rely on a perfect zero on the "cold bore" shot.
So, for me, whether it is .5 or 2.5 MOA, isn't a big deal for me. Besides, I'm mostly over the switchbarrel thing. I just like the ability to swap barrels more easily and reliably.
Not to mention switching barrels by a differ barrel maker, maybe caliber, etc. Just too many variables and things to keep track of to think you’re going to return to half MOA. I could see if this was more like switching a upper on a AR platform rig where the optic goes for the ride, you basically snap on a different upper and you’re on zero. I don’t think that’s the objective here as much as I think this allows the DIY guy to avoid the Smith for barrel upgrade and makes for much easier tear down for the DIY guy. Anyways...

Last edited:

Hewhoovercomes

New Hide Member
Mar 22, 2018
So, as a frame of reference for everyone. I bought my Nucleus around 1/28 with an order number of 302X and I was quoted about 2 months till billing/ship.

I’m okay with this and I’m excited to see many reviews and builds by the time I get mine in hand.

Curt1521

Sexy Beast
Nov 15, 2006
SF, South Dakota
So, as a frame of reference for everyone. I bought my Nucleus around 1/28 with an order number of 302X and I was quoted about 2 months till billing/ship.

I’m okay with this and I’m excited to see many reviews and builds by the time I get mine in hand.
Boooooo.
I'm 31xx. I ordered the last day. Was hoping to see it sooner rather than later. Oh well.

Hewhoovercomes

New Hide Member
Mar 22, 2018
Seriously? Is that for a short action .475 bolt face? Glad I was so proactive and sold my other rifle already... guess I'll throw rocks for the rest of the summer. :cautious:
Yes sir, right hand, SA, .475 bolt face.... honestly I may just buy a cheap savage to play with for the summer and sell it when it’s time to pay the invoice.

Apr 8, 2017
Order number 256x, just received an email saying my order was completed, but did not have instructions on how to make final payment or where to send FFL info. I’ll be calling tomorrow.

**Update: ARC reached out explaining that the email was sent out by mistake, oh well back to waiting patiently ;)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
I would guess 55 to 60% of those orders are actions, the other 40-45% accessories/magazines/rings. This is based on my serial number (00055) versus @hereinaz serial number (00005) and our relative order numbers.
I think this has some truth to it. I made a Barloc order after the Nucleus specific were announced. Not sure what proportion, but they were still selling rings, mags, and Mausingfields.

Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
I think this has some truth to it. I made a Barloc order after the Nucleus specific were announced. Not sure what proportion, but they were still selling rings, mags, and Mausingfields.
It’s exactly correct. I have 2 sets of rings I did the same day I ordered my Nucleus and they’re in numerical sequence to my action order.

Feb 16, 2017
Has anyone tried a X-caliber savage pre-fit?
I've no personal experience but I went shooting a few times with a guy who has a 7mm Ex-caliber pre-fit and he loves it, shoots really well. however, one gunsmith I called (can't remember which) was lukewarm on em'. I prefer to just have a gunsmith make a pre-fit out of a Rock Creek, or Bartlein etc...