NF 2.5-10x24 vs. NXS 1-8 x24 Eye Box and eye relief.

Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
For guys that have experience with both. I have a NF 2.5-10x24. I love the optic but the eye box is pretty tight. I'm about to purchase a 1-6 or 1-8. My top contenders are the Vortex HD-E, NF 1-8, and Vortex Voodoo. Opinions are welcome on any. My budget is under $1800. My biggest complaint with my 2.5-10 is simply the eye box being pretty tight. I shoot prairie dogs with it a lot and it can be hard on my eyes after a little bit. I know it's not the best scope for that application but I have that as a baseline as far as eye box.

Optic is going on a 14.5" 5.56. Primary use is simply range use, coyote hunting, ranch rifle etc. Thanks fellas!

Feb 16, 2017
If you are not happy with the eyebox on your 2.5-10x24, you will not be happy with the NX8. I LOVE .y 2.5-10x24 for what it is. It is NOT my 2.5-10x42. The NX8 is tighter than most, but at 8.5" long, I'm quite certain there were tradeoffs in performance. Its been discussed on here ad nauseum.
The ATACR 1-8.....now THATS a whole different story. Its just amazing!

I have a Vortex 1-6. Great optic. but only 6x and SFP. I really get the extra benefit from that extra 2x and as soon as I cross that 6x magnification threshold.....I want FFP.

longshot2000

Sniper's Hide Dealer: CHARLIE'S
Feb 19, 2017
Northern VA
charliescustomclones.com
If you are not happy with the eyebox on your 2.5-10x24, you will not be happy with the NX8. I LOVE .y 2.5-10x24 for what it is. It is NOT my 2.5-10x42. The NX8 is tighter than most, but at 8.5" long, I'm quite certain there were tradeoffs in performance. Its been discussed on here ad nauseum.
The ATACR 1-8.....now THATS a whole different story. Its just amazing!
Yes, ATACR is amazing. I tell people that if they could only buy one scope, the NF ATACR 1-8x is the scope.

I hear you on the 2.5-10x24. Maybe it is me, but I find that scope to be pretty good, and the NX8 to be better in eye box. I don't personally read the eye relief stats much, but go from experience, and this might be where people point their eyes differently, or something like that. I have found the NX8 to be very good. Not as good as the Razor 1-6x or the ATACR 1-8x, but no issues. I have heard from others that it is tight, but it seems to be more forgiving than the 2.5-10x.

Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I actually had the opportunity to shoot the NX8 the other day from 100-700yds. I found the dot to be daylight bright which was nice. I didn't have to adjust my buttstock when I cranked the magnification from 1-8 which was nice. The eye box was ok but I would love a larger ocular window. I've also shot the Razor 1-6 and felt like the eye box was better.

So far I haven't been able to shoot them side by side. I'm going to try and do a side by side comparison with the ATACR. I may just splurge and get the ATACR if I feel it's vastly superior.

The NX8 was very light and seemed well constructed. It reminded me a lot of my 2.5-10x24. I think it's a great Recce type scope. I don't know if it's a candidate for a lot of flat range, reflexive fire, 3-gun type of shooting though. I think the eye box is just too tight.

hk dave

Gunny Sergeant
Jun 7, 2011
So CA
The Razor 1-6 eye box is amazing. If you run it without caps the image looks like it’s floating in the air with a tiny ring around it.