New Kestrel® HUD and Kestrel® Ballistics 2700

DaveM

Private
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Haverhill, MA
I’d like to know how the new HUD would be an improvement, specifically for PRS matches, over the DRS e-dope card paired with data from a Kestrel 5700 elite and AB link.

I really love the idea of seamless integration with the HUD, the Kestrel 5700, and a Sig rangefinder. However, I just don’t see how it’s any better than getting target dope values from the Kestrel and transferring it to a paper or e-dope card.

If it is possible to simply laser the targets in order of engagement and instantly populate a target list on the HUD display that would be the nuts.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I’d like to know how the new HUD would be an improvement, specifically for PRS matches, over the DRS e-dope card paired with data from a Kestrel 5700 elite and AB link.

I really love the idea of seamless integration with the HUD, the Kestrel 5700, and a Sig rangefinder. However, I just don’t see how it’s any better than getting target dope values from the Kestrel and transferring it to a paper or e-dope card.

If it is possible to simply laser the targets in order of engagement and instantly populate a target list on the HUD display that would be the nuts.
That's what I'm hoping. I currently do that with a Terripan and 5700 but then I have to whip out my cell phone to program the Edope. It would be nice to to lase the stage and have the target card already populated on the gun

Reactions: DaveM

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
That's what I'm hoping. I currently do that with a Terripan and 5700 but then I have to whip out my cell phone to program the Edope. It would be nice to to lase the stage and have the target card already populated on the gun
That is exactly what the Kestrel HUD will do. There will be an firmware update where you can Bluetooth connect the Kestrel to both the HUD and the Rangefinder and simply lase the targets and have them populate on the HUD screen.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That is exactly what the Kestrel HUD will do. There will be an firmware update where you can Bluetooth connect the Kestrel to both the HUD and the Rangefinder and simply lase the targets and have them populate on the HUD screen.
That's great! I placed a pre-order for a HUD but wasn't charged a deposit. How do I confirm my pre-order?

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Will this work with the Bushnell Nitro 1800 as well (IE: Any AB-enabled LRF) or only specific models?

If this will work with the Bushy, consider me sold.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Link connections will be directly with the Kestrel 5700/ Elite, links to all LRF that link to the Kestrel can be found in the Kestrel links section of this forum for AB Kestrels and in the Hornady Kestrel thread.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
It will only work with Bluetooth models that work with the Kestrel. Here is a current list: https://kestrelinstruments.com/kestrel-3rd-party-software-and-applications

I believe the Bushnell Nitro 1800 *should* work but we haven't tested it yet.
Yep, the Nitro works nicely with the Kestrel (I've already done it). If we're wanting to skip the LRF entirely, you can update the EDope straight from the Kestrel itself, too, right? If so, I assume it's via the range card function?

Reactions: Kestrel Ballistics

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Yep, the Nitro works nicely with the Kestrel (I've already done it). If we're wanting to skip the LRF entirely, you can update the EDope straight from the Kestrel itself, too, right? If so, I assume it's via the range card function?
Correct. You don't need a LRF for the HUD to work.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I got to see a one at the Precision Rifle Expo this weekend - and I dig it. I'm looking forward to seeing them ship so I can snag one.

Reactions: DaveM

ZY100

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 13, 2007
VA
Latest date is now December 2019
Intended to put a sad face...not the thumbs up. I want it to be right, but after another match of writing range cards in the rain....this is something to look forward to.

But since I am at it, I will add another sad face for a $90 HUD remote cable. Yeah, I know......and I do love my Kestrel!

Last edited:

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Ya, I'm dissapointed that it's delayed but I hope that means it'll be solid when released. I was just searching the videos and pictures the other day and it looks great. I'm pretty excited about it. I think it'll interface with my Terrapin and 5700 Elite well in the way that I use them. It's definitely a large device, I hope the data card bracket/ mount part doesn't suck or require 3 pic slots

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Ya, I'm dissapointed that it's delayed but I hope that means it'll be solid when released. I was just searching the videos and pictures the other day and it looks great. I'm pretty excited about it. I think it'll interface with my Terrapin and 5700 Elite well in the way that I use them. It's definitely a large device, I hope the data card bracket/ mount part doesn't suck or require 3 pic slots
The mount only requires one pic slot. I was able to slip it under my scope right in front of my scope mount when I got to play with the ptorotype at the Expo this weekend.

Reactions: reubenski

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Initially the HUD will only be usable in Portrait mode. The mount is reversible to go on either side of the gun however. That being said, if we hear enough feedback about wanting Landscape mode, this is something we can consider adding with a firmware update down the line.
I'm late on responding to this one, but add another vote to Portrait mode, even if it's a post-release update.

I got to pick Austin's brain at the Altus Kestrel match last weekend and get a little more hands on time with the HUD. I think it has a *LOT* of potential as a training tool, not just for matches and field shooting. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one in December.

ZY100

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 13, 2007
VA
Like any new product, what works on the test bench seems to always find a new bug--or imaginative ways to crash the system-- when you get some prototypes out for people to play with. Then, there are some great inputs to make it better and you have to decide if/how you work those in the final prodcut.

I know we all know this, but as long as they can get them out working/connecting well--and robustly--that's my main priority. But I also agree that if they dont get them out by Feb, they are missing a lot of potential use the first part of the 2020 competition season.

I certainly am sick or writing DOPE in the rain....

ZY

Crews

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 11, 2017
Just here to say I sorted through this whole thread and wish there was more to read about the 2700.

Last edited:

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I've gotten to talk to Austin from NK about them a couple times now between the PR Expo and the Kestrel match at Altus, and I got to play with prototypes at both events. I will say that what I saw makes me think it'll be worth the wait, even with the delays. I know I am excited to get my hands on one.