New brass

Snuby642

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 11, 2017
I'm not used to reloading new brass so a couple of things came up.
I went to dry lube in the neck for used brass and has not given problems I have found.

Got some new sig brass for 300 blk, trying to rid myself of fliers. Lol
Small dents in necks otherwise looks good.
Plan on fls and a quick tumble to get off wax, process normal as needed to check it.

Will my normal dry lube "neck dunk" be sufficient While seating?

Hopefully the move to new brass will get me past the 1 in 5 fliers ruining some nice groups.

Attachments

Feb 18, 2014
MS
I was having flyers issue as well. Switched from Hornady brass to Lapua and the problem stopped. Also, case prep seems to matter. Dry lube will not cause flyers. However, wet lube will... Other things that can cause flyers is not being in the correct node or have a variation of the powder charge within the rounds you are shooting.

Snuby642

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 11, 2017
I was switching from range brass and brass fired in our 3 different 300 blk guns.
Mixed head stamps etc.. so was figuring any new brass would be more consistant.

My powder is weighed digital, and then trickeled to within 0.1gr.
The 12.1gr of cfeblk pushing a 220 fbrn has been the best out of a good deal of trials.

The thing about the new brass is I prefer the dry lube but have not used it in
clean new brass. Will it be sufficient since the brass has no buildup?

Many decent groups spoiled by the 1 flier.
Could cover it up with calipers but want to show my delema not show off.

Attachments

spife7980

Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
I wouldnt size the new brass, its already on the low end of spec, sizing it further just means it has to expand that much more. Maybe if you dont have a mandrel set up you could run it into the die to round out the necks but I wouldnt go low enough to bump the shoulder back any or do any material sizing down.

Not sure what you mean by a graphite neck dump being sufficient. The lube will make it smoother round to round but as far as just seating a bullet goes it should be sufficient as is from the factory.

Do a quick dirty test to get something not awful and to form some to your chamber so you have a consistent product to work with and then worry about the real load work up once you have some fire formed brass to work with.

Feb 18, 2014
MS
Agree with Spife. I don't use any lube (wet or dry) to aid in seating bullets. .002 neck tension is enough, then crimp and move on. As for prepping new brass a quick run over a neck sizing die / collet type / bushing style is all that is needed. (flash hole deburr ?? Optional ) 15-20 mins in tumbler and you are ready to roll.

Curiosity.. Is the flyer a specific round in the group? ie. shot 4 or 5??

Jammer Six

New Hide Member
Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Never occurred to me the neck on new brass could be off. I run them through the case gauge, haven't had any problems with seating.

How would you tell if new brass needs to be neck sized?

spife7980

Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
Usually it’s really tight so it will clear a plunk gauge no problem. Using an expanding mandrel should open them up to a desired diameter.

If it’s precision that you care about get a mandrel set up, if you don’t care to double your sizing steps then just load and shoot it knowing it will vary a tad.

1J04

Morale Officer
Aug 7, 2011
PACIFIC NW
For new Brass, my regime is to dip'm all in Imperial Dry Neck Lube and run a expander ball through them. I don't brush'm out or tumble to remove any 'residue'. Works for me.

Snuby642

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 11, 2017
So the quest for the best sub continues.
12.1 cfeblk cci 400 primers Hornady 220 fbrn and now new sig brass.
At 2.1 coal the bullet just does sit on the powder.
The sig brass was dented on some of the necks so I ran them through a sizing die.
A quick tumble to get off the sizing wax.
Neck tension measured 0.0025 and a light crimp was used.

Rem 700 AAC 300blk 16in in a magpull stock, nikon 3x9 and bags from a bench.
The new brass cut my fliers in half.

Sadly the remaining fliers are at least 50% all on me. I called over half on the trigger break.
My eyes are needing new glasses and with the stain by the 5th shot, it wanders a little.
A crono would be nice, see what santa does?

Attachments