NEW - Atlas CAL (Cant and Loc) Bipod - PRE-ORDER (added 12.14)

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Feb 22, 2010
Northern, Colorado
Had a great conversation with Kasey today about my CAL tension issue. He is committed to the resolution for this problem and after our conversation I can assure you “he is”! We discussed my issues and he asked specific questions and listened carefully to be sure of the understanding between us. It is very comforting to know not only do they strive to make the best product but they listen and I don’t sway easy! I feel very confident the correct solution will come soon. Thanks again Kasey for your time and reaching out on this issue, again change the “on hold music” 😉

LCHDR

Private
May 2, 2011
bas402: Any chance you could share any info on what solution is in the works for the tension issue without me bothering Kasey about it? I still am thinking the tension needs to be directly on the pivot point, but it would be a big change to make on existing CAL bipods. Thanks for talking to Kasey about this and I hope he comes up with something to get a more even and consistent tension without locking it down completely.

DOA

Sergeant
Dec 20, 2009
CA
Just a thought but if springs were added to either side of the pivot point, held captive by the podloc it wouldn't flop around but the downside would be you would lose some of the angle of adjustment. I haven't pulled mine apart to see, but that's my educated guess.

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Feb 22, 2010
Northern, Colorado
bas402: Any chance you could share any info on what solution is in the works for the tension issue without me bothering Kasey about it? I still am thinking the tension needs to be directly on the pivot point, but it would be a big change to make on existing CAL bipods. Thanks for talking to Kasey about this and I hope he comes up with something to get a more even and consistent tension without locking it down completely.
Don’t know how he is going to correct the tension. we discussed in detail what I am experiencing with and without the spring they sent out. We talked how it was set up and functioning. I explained I wasn’t looking for it to totally loc up unless needed, but would like to see a 60% drag in order to position my rifle in any situation for canting. I used the term “set the desired tension and leave it” and have it stay there until changed (not loose or locked) He will get it done trust me we just need to give him some time for the resolution for those of us that are looking for this “tension” set up out of the CAL
He gets it!!!!

LCHDR

Private
May 2, 2011
Just a thought but if springs were added to either side of the pivot point, held captive by the podloc it wouldn't flop around but the downside would be you would lose some of the angle of adjustment. I haven't pulled mine apart to see, but that's my educated guess.
You wouldn't need springs on both sides of the pivot point. The POD-LOC could just be mounted on the same side it is, just on the pivot point instead of on another screw below the pivot point, as it is on the ones I just received.
I don't think you would lose and angle of adjustment. The lower slot and screw could still be used for the limit on travel either way, or I believe the slot may be even made a little wider to allow more travel for angle of adjustment.

LCHDR

Private
May 2, 2011
Don’t know how he is going to correct the tension. we discussed in detail what I am experiencing with and without the spring they sent out. We talked how it was set up and functioning. I explained I wasn’t looking for it to totally loc up unless needed, but would like to see a 60% drag in order to position my rifle in any situation for canting. I used the term “set the desired tension and leave it” and have it stay there until changed (not loose or locked) He will get it done trust me we just need to give him some time for the resolution for those of us that are looking for this “tension” set up out of the CAL
He gets it!!!!
Thanks for your answer. Sounds like we are looking for the same thing. I can set the desired tension on my POD-LOC on my Harris and leave it. I was hoping the CAL would be the same. If it was, the CAL would be the only bipod I would need, as I like everything else better on the CAL than the Harris.

DOA

Sergeant
Dec 20, 2009
CA
You wouldn't need springs on both sides of the pivot point. The POD-LOC could just be mounted on the same side it is, just on the pivot point instead of on another screw below the pivot point, as it is on the ones I just received.
I don't think you would lose and angle of adjustment. The lower slot and screw could still be used for the limit on travel either way, or I believe the slot may be even made a little wider to allow more travel for angle of adjustment.
I may just pull mine apart and see how much room to play with there is.

May 17, 2017
Maryland
He gets it!!!!
I have the same complaint about the CAL's function. I disassembled mine and believe the problem lies in the contact between the brass washer and the anodized face of the leg bracket. The anodized texture of the leg bracket does not slide easily against the brass washer - which results in the either locked up or loose condition. Anywhere in between is a jerky movement as your have to push to overcome the friction between the bearing surface of the washer and leg bracket.

I coated the two contact areas with white lithium grease and it improved the feel, but would be hesitant able using it this way in the field as it would likely trap grit and dirt. Perhaps polishing the contact point smooth would help.

dirthead1

Chief Toilet Scrubber
Feb 11, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have the same complaint about the CAL's function. I disassembled mine and believe the problem lies in the contact between the brass washer and the anodized face of the leg bracket. The anodized texture of the leg bracket does not slide easily against the brass washer - which results in the either locked up or loose condition. Anywhere in between is a jerky movement as your have to push to overcome the friction between the bearing surface of the washer and leg bracket.

I coated the two contact areas with white lithium grease and it improved the feel, but would be hesitant able using it this way in the field as it would likely trap grit and dirt. Perhaps polishing the contact point smooth would help.
I haven't received the official spring yet from B&T, but did find one about the right length to go between the lever and brass washer. I also put three .020" thick delrin washers between the brass washer and the bipod body. My bipod cants very smoothly with the delrin washers, and also has a much more gradual increase in tension. Once I receive the correct spring from B&T, I'll swap it and see how it feels. Adding a delrin washer really smoothed out the cant motion.

Kasey

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 3, 2003
www.accu-shot.com
Want to update you on the CAL, as I told fellow member bas402 my focus in design was to be able to go from free to tight. DONE!!! Well I simply was too close to the forest to see the trees. So I apologize for designing this with blinders on!

We have made a couple of simple changes that give that 60-70% tension desired and it'll still lock up with a bit more Pod-Lok rotation.

We are getting pricing and once we have parts, we'll be sending them out to everyone thats bought the CAL in the pre-order offer. There will be a un-assembly and re-assembly required, I apologize for this. All CAL shippments moving forward will have these features so there will be a bit of a delay.

Meety Peety

AKA Gurth Brooks
Dec 15, 2017
San Diego
Want to update you on the CAL, as I told fellow member bas402 my focus in design was to be able to go from free to tight. DONE!!! Well I simply was too close to the forest to see the trees. So I apologize for designing this with blinders on!

We have made a couple of simple changes that give that 60-70% tension desired and it'll still lock up with a bit more Pod-Lok rotation.

We are getting pricing and once we have parts, we'll be sending them out to everyone thats bought the CAL in the pre-order offer. There will be a un-assembly and re-assembly required, I apologize for this. All CAL shippments moving forward will have these features so there will be a bit of a delay.
I am really happy to hear you have already jumped on this, and thank you for all of your efforts. I really look forward to seeing what you came up with!

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Feb 22, 2010
Northern, Colorado

Thanks again for your time and your quick response and solution looking forward to it.

Jun 4, 2013
NW Georgia

Awesome. I really look forward to this. Thank you for being so responsive.

Meety Peety

AKA Gurth Brooks
Dec 15, 2017
San Diego
Dec 13, 2004
Mesa AZ, USA

Excellent news Kasey! Thanks for turning out a quality product and staying on top of it with updates as needed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for an updated parts package!

Kasey, I purchased a new CAL from a fellow Hide member, who decided to go another direction. Can I get put on the mailing list to get this upgrade? I purchased the bipod before you sent the springs out, but he forwarded it on to me, so I'm GTG there. (Thanks again Hide member) I would just like my new, and first, Atlas to be the best as it can be. So far I am really impressed with it...and I don't even have a rifle to put it on yet. :D

Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Besides the normal mounting options like the ADM mount........what else is everyone using for picatinny? The RRS looked good. Any others?

I really like the ZRODelta DLOC mount that I am using on a Harris, but they don't seem to make one for Atlas.