My new TBAC Ultra 5 CB FDE (well almost)

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Last year Ray was posting some numbers comparing the different Ultra suppressors with different rifles, the Ultra 5 really impressed me for how well it suppressed and how small and light it was. I currently have a 30BA which is a 9" beast so I'm really looking forward to how the Ultra 5 will perform on my other rifles (6.5 CM's and 7 SAUM), but especially on my 9" 300BLK where I expect it to perform extremely well with subsonics.

Anyway, big shout out to Fred from Bison Tactical (@Fred @ Bison Tactical) who is always a pleasure to work with and a fount of knowledge! Big shout out to Ray at TBAC (@TBACRAY) who is also a great contributor here and so good to share knowledge. A big shout out to Silencershop for making submittals to the ATF for suppressors so easy with their online form and kiosks. This process was a heck of a lot easier than when I purchased the 30BA some years ago and if you've been on the fence about a suppressor I think now is a great time to buy, especially from Thunderbeast with their group buy - https://thunderbeastarms.com/gb/ (but hurry, it's only good until 10/10), but honestly, even without the GB discount they are still the best suppressors and with their compact break adapter I can quickly swap my suppressor to multiple rifles from .223 - .308, and yes, suppressors work and work quite well on smaller caliber cartridges.

And after all that I now have to wait 6-9 months while my suppressor sits in jail waiting to make its way to my SBR

Molon_Labe_Spartan_Worn_0043.jpg

Last edited:

Lmatt

Private
May 16, 2017
Idaho
I had to order a 5” as well. Well, and a 22 take down. Thanks HansohnBrothers for making the purchase so easy and Ray for posting all the great videos comparing their cans. I think the ultra 5 is going to be perfect for my hunting rifle. Just trying to decide if I should wait and shoot it or just get a 338 ultra for maximum suppression on stuff where weight doesn’t matter.

Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
My 5” Ultra came in today of Form 3. Plan to mail off paperwork for it and 338 Ultra tomorrow. Best of both worlds and can swap depending on needs...bench vs hunting.

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
I have an Ultra 9 and 22 Takedown. Trying to decide between the ultra 7 and the Ultra 5 for my next one.....
Ray will tell you the Ultra 7 but I chose the Ultra 5 because it averaged only 2-4db louder than the Ultra 7 when he was doing tests with 6.5 Creedmoor, the saying goes that the human ear can perceive a difference in volume every 3 decibels, the fact that this will mostly be sitting on a 300BLK with use on a 6.5 Creedmoor at the range (where I'm usually using ear protection anyway) and on hunting trips where only one shot is typically fired... well, I decided the benefits outweighed the cons with the Ultra 5. I would prefer the shorter/lighter package and was willing to sacrifice a few db to get there. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other, just explaining my decision making process.

Max

Descendant of John Adams
Ray will tell you the Ultra 7 but I chose the Ultra 5 because it averaged only 2-4db louder than the Ultra 7 when he was doing tests with 6.5 Creedmoor, the saying goes that the human ear can perceive a difference in volume every 3 decibels, the fact that this will mostly be sitting on a 300BLK with use on a 6.5 Creedmoor at the range (where I'm usually using ear protection anyway) and on hunting trips where only one shot is typically fired... well, I decided the benefits outweighed the cons with the Ultra 5. I would prefer the shorter/lighter package and was willing to sacrifice a few db to get there. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other, just explaining my decision making process.
Exactly the type of input I was looking for. Whichever one I get, it will be used on an AR 15 coyote rifle and a Rem 700 30-06 hunting rifle with a 24 inch barrel.

Attachments

Max

Descendant of John Adams
^^^ Nice antelope Max, that's what I was hoping to do in Colorado this year with my son but it just didn't pan out. I get to watch them almost from my back porch :)
Not a big one but I hunt for meat and the freezer was almost empty. Hunting Antelope is good fun and even better when doing so suppressed. Unlike most hunters around here I actually predict where they will be and head out on foot. Last year I shot one at 587 yards. One shot and it was down.

My buddy, a Colorado LEO Sergeant was also running an Ultra 9. He had a doe tag and after a good stalk he put one down that was on the move in a healthy cross wind at 418 yards. He then carried her 1.1 miles nonstop while I humped his gear. Good thing I brought a spare shirt......

Two more tags to fill.

Attachments