My .224 Valkyrie Rifle - Bison Armory 24"

May 16, 2018
Virginia
My barrel should be in tomorrow. I'm starting a thread for pics, range reports, etc.

Components of this rifle:

Barrel: 1:6.5 twist Bison Armory 24" heavy fluted w/standard gas block
Upper: Midwest Industries billet upper
Handguard: Midwest Industries 15"
BCG: Toolcraft
Lower: billet lower from EDC tactical (local shop)
Trigger: Geissele SSA-E
Stock: Magpul PRS Gen3
Pistol Grip: Ergo
Magazines: CMMG .224v/6.8/22n mags
Bipod: Harris for now
Optic: TBD - will probably start with my Vortex HS-T 6-24x in a ADM mount for now.

May 16, 2018
Virginia
Sorry, I was too busy preparing for my match last week to get any good range reports with this rifle.

I show a few rounds through it with horrible groups but didn't take any time to try and diagnose. Then I ended up taking the scope off to bring to my match as a back up

I honestly think my handguard ID is too small, the bottom of the gas block is a red C**t hair from touching the handguard. so i feel like there might be some contact there during the shot. Will possibly get the bigger handguard from MI and swap it

It cycles though! i also did not break out the chrono to get MV data yet

i also took off the suppressor and mounted a SiCo brake

May 16, 2018
Virginia
Check the chamber, some reamers were ground with way too much free bore.
I don’t think I have the tools to do that. Not sure how.
This is the first “custom” rifle I’ve put together. I dont Have all the usual things most guys have yet. I guess I’ll get them as I need them.

How do I check that?

It very well could be, but I honestly thing it’s some basic that I just haven’t had time to troubleshoot yet. Haven’t spent more than 3 minutes behind the gun. The groups were like 4-5” and consistently jumped. One center target, next shot high right, next shot high right, next shot back to center, next shot high right. Like a pattern.

flyer

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 25, 2018
There are instructions out there for measuring with a backward flat base bullet or an inspection pin and a set of calipers.

It's a known issue so eliminate it or confirm before you start changing gas blocks and stuff.

Dec 30, 2017
I think the 224 valk is just a fancy name. They shortened the 6.8 case to make it!!!! the 6.8 case is already a very minimal increase over the 223 without shortening it. While yes it fires a sleek bullet with less wind drift. the bullet doesn't have much energy left when it gets there. I simply think they are trying to get too much out of the limited cartridges that are available. instead I would rather federal who I think is pimping the Valkyrie, had used the grendel case, OR come up with something totally new. a grendel case with rebated rim? another case with even more compacity? all those are better options if you ask me.

if you need to shoot far enough for the valk, just get an AR 10 in 6.5 creedmooor.

hookedonbrass

New Hide Member
May 16, 2018
Virginia
I think the 224 valk is just a fancy name. They shortened the 6.8 case to make it!!!! the 6.8 case is already a very minimal increase over the 223 without shortening it. While yes it fires a sleek bullet with less wind drift. the bullet doesn't have much energy left when it gets there. I simply think they are trying to get too much out of the limited cartridges that are available. instead I would rather federal who I think is pimping the Valkyrie, had used the grendel case, OR come up with something totally new. a grendel case with rebated rim? another case with even more compacity? all those are better options if you ask me.

if you need to shoot far enough for the valk, just get an AR 10 in 6.5 creedmooor.
good point, I guess i'll sell this rifle now and get an AR-10 in 6.5c because I definitely never considered that :rolleyes:

Top Bottom