Mk 13 Mod 0 stock

cherokeefan03

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2017
Alan replied to my email the other day, said he would ship me my parts and deposit back on monday. I wish I hadn't wasted 29 months on him, for several reasons even other than the obvious.

But I have found a new smith, and am happy for this build to actually be progressing now.

Reactions: D_TROS

Vargmat

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 17, 2013
Sweden
Alan replied to my email the other day, said he would ship me my parts and deposit back on monday. I wish I hadn't wasted 29 months on him, for several reasons even other than the obvious.

But I have found a new smith, and am happy for this build to actually be progressing now.
Well, that sucks...
Good luck with the new smith.

Random Guy

Private
Belligerents
May 16, 2012
Gosh, that is a bummer. I heard his health has been deteriorating, and thus perhaps its best that you have another person build it. On the upside at least you are getting your money and parts back. Good luck with your new builder. I hope to do a MK 13 in the 2020-21 period.

cherokeefan03

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2017
Gosh, that is a bummer. I heard his health has been deteriorating, and thus perhaps its best that you have another person build it. On the upside at least you are getting your money and parts back. Good luck with your new builder. I hope to do a MK 13 in the 2020-21 period.
Buy the suppressor or stock now, thats the best advice I can give you lol.
But yeah I'm mainly angry at how he was extremely uncommunicative about his issues, like others I was quoted 6-9 months. He should have told us or stopped accepting builds or something. I could have had half a dozen built by other smiths by now.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2010
The Snobbiest Town in The Snobbiest State in the N
What sucks is not that some folks waited for their guns... but that a legendary riflesmith and a really outstanding gentleman who I call a friend... is having health issues... which he hopefully will get through soon so he can get back to his passion for building some of the best precision rifles in the world!

It is a terrible inconvenience for us 'Hide members to have to wait for something that we want... I get that. We have our wants and needs. It is a worse tragedy that instead of showing some patience and some class towards Alan's health... folks are griping that their rifle didn't get done.

I am not sure his status... but will reach out to him and send him a card/note and a Merry Christmas. And if he happens to be reading this thread (he reads a lot... he doesn't respond on forums...) then let me be the first (and hopefully not the last) to wish him the best and hope that he gets well soon!

Sirhr

cherokeefan03

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2017
I think that I have been extremely sympathetic to Alan's health issues. Waiting twenty nine months for a paid for rifle build, with maybe 2 or three conversations a year where no new information is given, not even an estimate in months, is nothing if not patient.
I do wish him the best, as I have ever since he first told me of his health.
But health issues aside, when you have a business, full time or not, and problems prevent you from doing a job someone paid you for, for years, I feel you have at least a responsibility to say "hey, I don't think i'm going to be able to make this rifle".

Last edited:

MAC08

Private
Belligerents
May 24, 2014
Blackhills
I stumbled across this thread just now and am sorry to hear about Alan's health issues. I hope he does get the better of his health issues and can get back to doing the work he loves. He built me a Mod 5 in 2016 and it is a work of art. Due to an injury I was contemplating selling her but I think i will be holding on to her.

edd1e22

HNIC
Belligerents
Jul 1, 2002
San Jose
It's all about communication and while his health may be a bad, 30-50 phone calls/emails(assuming he even has that many) to his customers who have prepaid is not an unreasonable ask.

Random Guy

Private
Belligerents
May 16, 2012
Curious if anyone has built a replica of suppressed version of the Mk 13 Mod 0 (aka Mod 3), with a KAC Mk 11 suppressor.

These were the two Mk 13 Mod 3's built for the movie, American Sniper. Anybody else try to build something like this?

American+sniper+Mk13_rifles.jpg

nn8734

nn8734
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Curious if anyone has built a replica of suppressed version of the Mk 13 Mod 0 (aka Mod 3), with a KAC Mk 11 suppressor.

These were the two Mk 13 Mod 3's built for the movie, American Sniper. Anybody else try to build something like this?

View attachment 7198147
If you are looking to build the Mod 1, as shown in the pic, check with LRI to see if they would do it. They did a superb job with my Mod 5 recently.

I believe there was a mod 2 or 3 that used a forest green AICS chassis (as opposed to the FDE chassis on the mod 5).

Last edited:

cherokeefan03

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2017

View attachment 7198147
M40a96 on instagram had one done with the actual correct collar, the ones from the movie are only similar.

If you are looking to build the Mod 1, as shown in the pic, check with LRI to see if they would do it. They did a superb job with my Mod 5 recently.

I believe there was a mod 3 that used a forest green AICS chassis (as opposed to the FDE chassis on the mod 5).
LRI is great people.
That's the Mod 2 that you are thinking of I believe, with a vortex flash hider instead of suppressor and OD chassis.

nn8734

nn8734
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
LRI is great people.
That's the Mod 2 that you are thinking of I believe, with a vortex flash hider instead of suppressor and OD chassis.
Yep, it’s the Mod 2, commissioned to be built at Crane by the 75th Ranger Regiment, per Steve Reichert‘s website.

Random Guy

Private
Belligerents
May 16, 2012
I’m not on Instagram, but thanks for the tip re the other replica. Any pictures that could be posted on this thread would be much appreciated.

For clarificrion re Mk 13 Mod 1 thru 4:

Mod 0 - right handed action, non supressed.
Mod 1 - left handed action, non suppressed.
Mod 2 - AIC green chassis, right handed action for Rangers.
Mod 3 - right handed action, suppressed version of Mod 0.
Mod 4 - left handed action, suppressed version of Mod 1.

Hope that info helps.

Last edited:

John Nors

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 15, 2017
I’m on Alan’s wait list and thought I’d be up soon but sounds like I need to scout for a builder. Any recommendations?

nn8734

nn8734
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I’m on Alan’s wait list and thought I’d be up soon but sounds like I need to scout for a builder. Any recommendations?
What Mk13 Mod are you wanting to build?

I used Long Rifles, Inc. for my Mod 5 and they did fantastic work. Turn time was just under two months, which is pretty good for a complex build and in-demand shop like LRI.

Raven Rifles in VA also does Mk13 spec builds (I know they do Mod5’s but would check with them if they build any other Mods).

If doing a Mod 0,1,2 or 7, I would think any competent smith can put one together assuming all the right parts were in your possession and/or available. If doing a mod 3 or 5 (requires contouring/mk11mod0 suppressor fitment) then either of the above two mentioned builders should work.

John Nors

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 15, 2017
What Mk13 Mod are you wanting to build?

I used Long Rifles, Inc. for my Mod 5 and they did fantastic work. Turn time was just under two months, which is pretty good for a complex build and in-demand shop like LRI.

Raven Rifles in VA also does Mk13 spec builds (I know they do Mod5’s but would check with them if they build any other Mods).

If doing a Mod 0,1,2 or 7, I would think any competent smith can put one together assuming all the right parts were in your possession and/or available. If doing a mod 3 or 5 (requires contouring/mk11mod0 suppressor fitment) then either of the above two mentioned builders should work.
mod 0. I have all the parts so I may give LRI a call. Thx.

Reactions: nn8734

spooledup

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 28, 2007
Marion NC
LRI trued and barreled both of my MK13 Mod0s. I just sent them in using the Rem 700 group buy. Action finish was left as is on one with a original bolt and barrel was bead blasted.

nn8734

nn8734
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure if High Caliber Sales still does them or not. You supply the action.
Not anymore. In fact Kevin may have retired. Last time I spoke with him (appx 8 months back), he advised as much and directed me to Alan for mk13’s who’s situation is discussed earlier on in the thread.

Reactions: DFOOSKING

Random Guy

Private
Belligerents
May 16, 2012
Very nice job on the Mod 3 replica(!). Regarding the barrel collar, did you wait until you fitted the suppressor to make the machine cuts for the latching mechanism? I'm glad that RWS put one of these together. FWIW, I've been collecting parts for a very similar build, but I haven't ordered the KAC Mk 11 suppressor or the barrel yet, but I've made some progress lately regarding parts collection, including a marked bolt. (I've probably use the later Leupold rings rather than the earlier ones seen in this pic):

Mk 13 bolts and parts1_122019.jpg
Here's my DRMO'ed Mk13 transport case and a take-off stock.
300WM_project_parts2.jpg

...I'm hoping this will be a 2020 project...I might reach out to RWS Gunsmithing once I have the Lijia barrel and a proper donor action.

Last edited:

cherokeefan03

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2017
Very nice job on the Mod 3 replica(!). Regarding the barrel collar, did you wait until you fitted the suppressor to make the machine cuts for the latching mechanism? I'm glad that RWS put one of these together. FWIW, I've been collecting parts for a very similar build, but I haven't ordered the KAC Mk 11 suppressor or the barrel yet, but I've made some progress lately regarding parts collection, including a marked bolt. (I've probably use the later Leupold rings rather than the earlier ones seen in this pic):

View attachment 7207730

View attachment 7207734

...I'm hoping this will be a 2020 project...I might reach out to RWS Gunsmithing once I have the Lijia barrel and a proper donor action.
Wow, that is awesome man! I've never seen a marked mod 3 bolt before, only mod 0's.

Reactions: Random Guy

teufelhunden

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 3, 2009
Florida
I got lucky with the bolt, and happy to have it....just wish I could get a KAC Mk 11 suppressor for a nice price.

Their out there, just be ready when they pop up!

I picked up an OG Vero one this year for basically MSRP. Period correct, laser etched, & serial number below 50.

Last edited:

cherokeefan03

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2017
Any updates on the health of Allan Brown? Anyone else been in contact?
He sent me my first set of parts back unopened on the 26th of dec, then my stock back a day or two before shot show. An acquaintance that sent his stuff to him like 6 or 8 months after I did got his gun back last month, so he is well enough that he is still building.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2010
The Snobbiest Town in The Snobbiest State in the N
If anyone is doing a build and wants a dead-nuts correct Mk 4 Leupold 10x fixed... the as-issued scope on the Mk13 Mod 0's.... one has shown up at my local gun store.

It is minty... been mounted but I don't think ever shot. No scope ring marks that I saw. PM me and I'll put you in touch with them.

I looked for 2 months to find mine (and only through an awesome forum member did I get one!)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Firejareen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
I sent Alan Brown my parts and he received them in October of 2017. It is now March of 2020 and nothing. I have emailed and called asking for updates and here recently for my parts back. I have not received anything. Anyone close and could check on the buzzard to see if he is breathing?

cherokeefan03

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2017
I sent Alan Brown my parts and he received them in October of 2017. It is now March of 2020 and nothing. I have emailed and called asking for updates and here recently for my parts back. I have not received anything. Anyone close and could check on the buzzard to see if he is breathing?
Good luck, just keep emailing.