measuring ammo temperature

Dunraven

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
I want to input ammo temperature data into a strelok pro program. I intend to use an infrared thermometer to measure temperature on the cases after freezing them, then heating them. Is the infrared thermometer the best way to do it? And, how high a temperature is needed and/or safe?

AIAW

★★★★★
Belligerents
Aug 16, 2001
Central Texas
I want to input ammo temperature data into a strelok pro program. I intend to use an infrared thermometer to measure temperature on the cases after freezing them, then heating them. Is the infrared thermometer the best way to do it? And, how high a temperature is needed and/or safe?
The temperature delta between the brass case and the powder is going to be a wide variable if forcing temperature.

I simply assume that if the ammo is in the shade for more than an hour then it’s at ambient temperature. If forcing ammo temp, probably need to measure ambient of the container, not the brass itself.

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
Leave them in the respective heat environments long enough for the temps to have normalized instead of just the outside brass surface being the only thing thats actually cold.

Dunraven

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
The temperature delta between the brass case and the powder is going to be a wide variable if forcing temperature.

I simply assume that if the ammo is in the shade for more than an hour then it’s at ambient temperature. If forcing ammo temp, probably need to measure ambient of the container, not the brass itself.
Leave them in the respective heat environments long enough for the temps to have normalized instead of just the outside brass surface being the only thing thats actually cold.
at that point is an infrared thermometer accurate?