Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2020 Discussion

NGCSUGrad09

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 6, 2007
North East GA
I'd pass on the spotter. If you don't have a GPS watch to track progress, the Garmin with AB is nice to combine the ballistics and GPS in one unit.

Austinjunks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
Savannah GA
As far as shelter, last year I ran a hammock and was plenty warm. We set up in a field with the wind beating up all of our shelters, we even had a few dome tents roll. I got hit with a plastic barricade that blew into my hammock. I'm gonna run a low bottomless tarp shelter 2020.

teddy12b

Private
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2008
As far as making ruck times goes, am I looking at this wrong. I get the idea of tracking devices now in the preparation phase, but once you get there won't there be a somewhat large group of people all starting the ruck at or about the same time? I know the pace I need to be at, but also know that if we're in the middle of the herd we're probably going to be in good shape as far as making time goes. I get the point of worrying about a way to track and time yourself now, but once we get there won't it be pretty easy to see if we're falling behind the herd?

Aroy87

Private
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2017
Question regarding the use of a sling.
I have a really nice sling I use for PRS but it is rather heavy. How much will a sling help for Mammoth (from those who have competed before).
I am wondering if it is worth bringing or getting something simpler and lighter. I am just below 50 lbs including my rifle so every little thing I can do to shave weight will be helpful.

I was also considering starting a Mammoth subreddit but I am unable to do so due to low "karma" if anyone would be interested in starting one we might be able to organize things a little easier into various topics.

Regards

NGCSUGrad09

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 6, 2007
North East GA
As far as making ruck times goes, am I looking at this wrong. I get the idea of tracking devices now in the preparation phase, but once you get there won't there be a somewhat large group of people all starting the ruck at or about the same time? I know the pace I need to be at, but also know that if we're in the middle of the herd we're probably going to be in good shape as far as making time goes. I get the point of worrying about a way to track and time yourself now, but once we get there won't it be pretty easy to see if we're falling behind the herd?
Not everyone moves at the same pace. The only time there was a large group was the last ruck. Tracking is good to make sure you'll be on time and aren't falling behind. Some of the longer rucks saw our squad strung out to where we couldn't see each other. We all made the time but when you're tired, moving across terrain and not knowing what's ahead with bad weather I'll take the tracking as insurance.

NGCSUGrad09

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 6, 2007
North East GA
I have a really nice sling I use for PRS but it is rather heavy. How much will a sling help for Mammoth (from those who have competed before).
I am wondering if it is worth bringing or getting something simpler and lighter. I am just below 50 lbs including my rifle so every little thing I can do to shave weight will be helpful.

I was also considering starting a Mammoth subreddit but I am unable to do so due to low "karma" if anyone would be interested in starting one we might be able to organize things a little easier into various topics.

Regards
I brought one and really didn't use it. But I'd have a lighter one that works for most uses in the event of a stage movement or transition with a pistol.

Austinjunks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
Savannah GA

Regards
I ran a sling and didn't use it at all, that said, I'm gonna be running a sling again in 2020.

Aroy87

Private
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2017
My team is in.

Trying to get clarification that the total is 700 and that is for the team or for the individual.

**EDIT** Confirmed that 700 is for the team

Last edited:
Reactions: muddawg

teddy12b

Private
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2008
Not everyone moves at the same pace. The only time there was a large group was the last ruck. Tracking is good to make sure you'll be on time and aren't falling behind. Some of the longer rucks saw our squad strung out to where we couldn't see each other. We all made the time but when you're tired, moving across terrain and not knowing what's ahead with bad weather I'll take the tracking as insurance.
That makes sense. I get it.

teddy12b

Private
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2008
Did the registration website go down?!?!? I'm trying to get registered and none of the links work with either my mobile or my desktop.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Private
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2008
I'm dialed in now. I got on last night around 9pm and got signed up. I was so excited I couldn't sleep so I went out and rucked for 3.77 miles and hit a new personal record for overall pace. I can't wait for this.

Reactions: never_summer

Aroy87

Private
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2017
Quick question regarding eating/logistics in the morning.

Do we have time to reasonably heat up a freeze dried meal or do we just snap out of bed, break camp and haul ass?

Making sure my calories plans make sense or not.