Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2020 Discussion

Aroy87

Private
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2017
Hey Everyone, I put together a detailed packing list for Mammoth as a provisional pass on Google sheets.
I was wondering if people could take a look and give me opinions. Feel free to beat me up on it, I'd rather have my balls busted than have my back busted. I have a lot of excel logic built into it although it is not complete. My most important goal is to cut weight.
If for some reason someone wants this formatting to make their own sheet I'll gladly share it, feel free to PM me for that.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciate.
Stats:
160lbs
5'7"
Secondary Shooter, 223 Bolt Gun

Reactions: regnar375

slick19

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
It isn't terrible, It;s actually a really good start. But there are more than a few things I would drop.

Is the rain shell for your ruck? If so keep it- if it is another rain jacket drop it.
I would likely drop the base layers. It hasn't been cold enough the past two years in GA to justify them, especially if you're rucking around.
What is the run/gun bag?
I wouldn't bring knee pads unless you really really like them
I also would drop the camelbak and just bring a large nalgene- there is water everywhere.
I would also say to drop the hand/foot warmers
This is a three day/two night event, I would just change the batteries in your headlamp before you leave and not bring extras.
I also haven't had a use for gloves the past three years.
I would leave the deodorant in the car
I would also bring three mags for pistol and rifle. If the pistol goes down the easiest and fastest way to get it running again is to drop the mag and stick a fresh one in. Then I also like to carry an extra in case i'm having a really bad day. For the whole match I never shot more than one magazine of pistol in a stage, but I like to be prepared because I have had shit happen before.
Have you thought about what you're going to keep the ammo in? I would advise one of those small sil-nylon dry bags from walmart that come in a three pack.
I would also say to just bring mountain house/backpackers pantry/something freeze dried in a bag for food- you then don't need a bowl or plate, and it tastes pretty good
I would also add 2 more pairs of socks to the list
I would only pack one shirt, wear the other.

That's my .02. Ive been backpacking forever, and have shot this 3x. The first year I needed way more due to the cold. The past two it has been really mild for most of the match.

slick19

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
Also, Go for the X5- it's heavier but you'll appreciate the fact that it is full size when you're shooting.

Is that 80gr load moving at abut 2800?

Aroy87

Private
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2017
It isn't terrible, It;s actually a really good start. But there are more than a few things I would drop.

Is the rain shell for your ruck? If so keep it- if it is another rain jacket drop it.
I would likely drop the base layers. It hasn't been cold enough the past two years in GA to justify them, especially if you're rucking around.
What is the run/gun bag?
I wouldn't bring knee pads unless you really really like them
I also would drop the camelbak and just bring a large nalgene- there is water everywhere.
I would also say to drop the hand/foot warmers
This is a three day/two night event, I would just change the batteries in your headlamp before you leave and not bring extras.
I also haven't had a use for gloves the past three years.
I would leave the deodorant in the car
I would also bring three mags for pistol and rifle. If the pistol goes down the easiest and fastest way to get it running again is to drop the mag and stick a fresh one in. Then I also like to carry an extra in case i'm having a really bad day. For the whole match I never shot more than one magazine of pistol in a stage, but I like to be prepared because I have had shit happen before.
Have you thought about what you're going to keep the ammo in? I would advise one of those small sil-nylon dry bags from walmart that come in a three pack.
I would also say to just bring mountain house/backpackers pantry/something freeze dried in a bag for food- you then don't need a bowl or plate, and it tastes pretty good
I would also add 2 more pairs of socks to the list
I would only pack one shirt, wear the other.

That's my .02. Ive been backpacking forever, and have shot this 3x. The first year I needed way more due to the cold. The past two it has been really mild for most of the match.
Appreciate the input, if you noticed, the check marks turn off the weight for that item. I planned on messing with things and when you toggle the fields on and off it gives you live updates. I will certainly take all of this to heart and the link will remain as I modify and pair down some. If anyone wants to chat in depth and it does not seem relevant to the feed feel free to PM me.

Aroy87

Private
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2017
Also, Go for the X5- it's heavier but you'll appreciate the fact that it is full size when you're shooting.

Is that 80gr load moving at abut 2800?
I have not even bought the barrel but my previous .223 bolt gun (I sold a few years ago) I got a 77gr VLD to go a little over 3100 fps (hot load) but it was easily going 2950 so my plan was to get the 80gr ELD-M around 2800-2830 in a 24 inch barrel which I figure is a reasonable compromise for length, weight and performance.

PrepareSmarter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Here is my ruck training plan so far. You can see by the elevation gain that my area is pretty hilly.
Any feedback? I reached 45# faster than expected, so now I need to change up the progression.

Dgucci

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2018
Would there be a benefit to using a hammock versus tent/bivvy? They look like they are pretty lightweight in general. This is assuming there are trees in the camping area.

PrepareSmarter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Would there be a benefit to using a hammock versus tent/bivvy? They look like they are pretty lightweight in general. This is assuming there are trees in the camping area.
After you add the tarp, straps, under quilt, and quilt/bag it's not that much different. To me, hammocks are for the summer.

Ted Bell

"Living the dream"
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
For those who have done Mammoth before, could you share what a typical day is like with regards to the hiking? In other words from when you start in the morning how far do you hike in each leg, how much time do you spend while at a stage, and how many legs of hiking do you do in a day? I wanted to spend a Saturday simulating what a full day at Mammoth would be like physically gauge my training so far.

Thanks,
Ted

Reactions: SuperChop

slowlearner

Private
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2012
Death Valley area...it is hot.
For those who have done Mammoth before, could you share what a typical day is like with regards to the hiking? In other words from when you start in the morning how far do you hike in each leg, how much time do you spend while at a stage, and how many legs of hiking do you do in a day? I wanted to spend a Saturday simulating what a full day at Mammoth would be like physically gauge my training so far.

Thanks,
Ted
Up before the sun. Walk 1-5 miles at designated pace. 5-30 minutes until stage brief the year at Arena. Get your stage brief. Each team rotated through on average 3 minutes per. I think we had 8 teams in our squad. Then 5-15 minutes later walk again.

I think Friday had 4 rucks, Saturday had 5-7, Sunday was 4 or 5 (memory is a bit fuzzy). I think my mileage was templated for 13 on Saturday.

All this data is based off the 2018 year at the Area Rain fest.

I didn’t feel rushed between rucks, I had time to re-tie down everything, crush some calories, and adjust layers. Or just be stuck sitting in the rain. I’d also stretch a bit during your breaks.

regnar375

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
raymond NH
Training is going well. I'm rucking at a 14.45 pace with 50 pounds. that's all walking, no running. I do two or three a week for 2-3 miles. I'm doing 1 or 2 5k's a week on the treadmill. two months ago I was at 45min plus. Yesterday I did 35:40. cant run the whole thing yet but working towards it. my goal is a 30 min 5k.

I have been rucking or running 3 to 6 days a week depending on my schedule. soon I will start incorporating some serious hill workouts and trail running (I havent run since I got out in 89!).

I'm pretty excited at my progress and even more at my recovery time, which is getting really good.

Reactions: slowlearner

slowlearner

Private
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2012
Death Valley area...it is hot.
Sounds like you are well on your way of the sufferfest of fun. Is that 14.45 on flat or rolling hills? I suck at going up hill, while some other people seem to be powered by them.

Training is going well. I'm rucking at a 14.45 pace with 50 pounds. that's all walking, no running. I do two or three a week for 2-3 miles. I'm doing 1 or 2 5k's a week on the treadmill. two months ago I was at 45min plus. Yesterday I did 35:40. cant run the whole thing yet but working towards it. my goal is a 30 min 5k.

I have been rucking or running 3 to 6 days a week depending on my schedule. soon I will start incorporating some serious hill workouts and trail running (I havent run since I got out in 89!).

I'm pretty excited at my progress and even more at my recovery time, which is getting really good.

regnar375

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
raymond NH
Very light hills. I've got a lot of miles under a ruck with some awfully heavy weight so this is more about getting my legs back. I'm pretty confident I can get to a 13:30 with weight in the hills.

Gotta wiggle the hips going up the hills and take quick short steps while leaning into the weight.

glockgirl300

Private
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2014
My hubby plans on doing the challenge next year with a buddy. I’ve looked around and I can’t seem to find pricing for the course? Their website doesn’t seem to have a lot of information unfortunately.😕

muddawg

Private
Belligerents
Apr 9, 2009
Bowie, TX
What do you guys do to keep track of your pace and distance on the rucks? I don't think my Garmin watch's battery (internal rechargeable) will last all the way through 3 days. The longest I've seen it last is about 7 hours on a 100 mile bicycle ride.

FishDr

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2014
West KY
Garmin will replace and install a new battery. A local shop could possibly disassemble and do it - not sure I would trust that. You could get a battery bank to hold a charge and charge up all your USB devices. Mine is heavy, so will find a lighter one for next time. A third option is solar - but not recommended.

PrepareSmarter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
What do you guys do to keep track of your pace and distance on the rucks? I don't think my Garmin watch's battery (internal rechargeable) will last all the way through 3 days. The longest I've seen it last is about 7 hours on a 100 mile bicycle ride.
Look at the Garmin Foretrex line. The 601 reportedly lasts 48hrs on 2AA batteries.

Reactions: FishDr