Magazine rebuild kit

Would you buy replacement springs for your 10 round box magazines?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 1, 2013
I’m doing some simple market research and would like your honest input.

“magazine” in this poll refers to 10 round box mags that are commonly used for precision bolt action rifles.

This question refers only to replacement springs, not any other component of the magazine.

Feel free to leave justifications for your vote in the comments section.

Thanks,

Casey

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
Id love to have a couple on hand should I find they’re getting weak, or honestly just incase shtf. When we pay as much as we do for a magazine, Id like to know I can keep it functioning well for a small cost vs. Tossing a perfectly good mag because of a faulty spring.

May 17, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If my spring wore out, I’ll buy a new spring. ~$10 for a new spring, or $80 for a magazine with a new spring. I’d rather just replace my spring and keep on chugging along

04JRB

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 11, 2017
Southeast MI
I would if it was reasonably priced. I would also really like it if there was an option for adding capacity. At $70-$80 to replace the whole mag, a $10-$15 rebuild kit would be the direction I would go.

Mr. Zick

Small Arms Artillery
Feb 20, 2017
Wisconsin
I would if it was reasonably priced. I would also really like it if there was an option for adding capacity. At $70-$80 to replace the whole mag, a $10-$15 rebuild kit would be the direction I would go.
https://www.area419.com/product/sa-mag-extensions/

This or a flat spring? I don’t have any issues with the magpul and get 15+1 6.5cm with the extension a clipped follower.

MDT_Josh

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 19, 2018
Chilliwack, BC
mdttac.com
Most companies that build magazines (us included) usually are happy to send you a replacement spring and follower if you want them. I haven't personally asked companies like AI, Accurate or ARC, but I can't see why they wouldn't send you some?

mcameron

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 17, 2011
has anyone actually managed to "wear out" a boltgun mag spring?

its not like a semiauto, where a slight decrease in spring tension will cause feeding reliability issues..

even if a bolt spring wears out, its not like you are going to cycle the action so fast that it wont have a round at the top before you send the bolt forward.

Banango

New Hide Member
Aug 9, 2018
I was trying to find a replacement spring for my mdt mags just the other day in Hope's of making a follower for my dasher

earthquake

Gunny Sergeant
Jul 30, 2009
Delaware, OH
I haven't worn one out, but I lost my original flat spring in an AICS mag after swapping in a follower kit. I no longer want/need the kit, but I can't find my dang original spring anywhere. So it's basically an $80 paperweight now. I'd love a replacement spring and follower!

Nov 15, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
MDT_Josh, I love AI stuff but sure don't see them sending anything for free. Had to get a replacement action screw and they wanted to charge $20+ plus shipping. Went to ACE and got what I needed for about $1.
They sure don't think like you do. Makes me want to buy a couple MDT mags. Have been hearing a lot of good things about them for sure

Apr 1, 2013
Thank you to everyone who has participated so far. Keep the votes coming! I am looking into the demand for aftermarket springs for these mags because they do fail. As some have noted, it is difficult to get support from some manufacturers. That is a good thing for those of us hungry for a share of the market like myself and MDT.