M40a1 build guide

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 6, 2011
MA
McMillan HTG in forest under the Krylon, looks like Win bottom metal, base looks like it might be correct, scope isnt correct but what's a fella on a budget to do, might be cerakote instead of oxide but looks like than man wants to use his gun.....

So it's not 100 percent but I appreciate it.

Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
The stock is a McMillan trade-in that was painted that way when I received it, and the scope is a Leupold off a Utah Highway Patrol McMillan rifle they traded in about 13yrs ago. The smith did a black Gunkote on the barrel and triggerguard which was with the stock from McMillan. Not exactly what I wanted, but it works. The barrel is a Mike Rock that was bought from a group buy here as I recall. I'm very pleased with the accuracy using M118LR or FGMM 175s. I wasn't looking for a complete clone, in large part because I couldn't justify the price of an MST for a non-threaded rifle I'd shoot infrequently.

I thought I'd posted in this thread a few years ago but I can't come up with it in a search.

Like you said, not 100% but at least the stock went to good use.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 6, 2011
MA
My best shooting rifle is a mutt I put together using parts spec'd for USMC rifles from the M40 to the M40-A5.

A fantasy gun but a fine tool none the less.

Who knows, perhaps my spec A1 built at PWS would shoot paper just as well, perhaps better, if I lost the MST 100 and mounted the Premier from the fav gun on it.

Its not 1979 anymore and its good to see these cousin guns paying tribute and still working.

Dec 9, 2010
SO CAL
IMG_0129.JPG For the folks that have been contacting me for M40A1 scope bases, I am making a batch for a builder in MO. I am going to use all the material and make some extras. If you have been wanting one contact me I will have a handful of extras. PM, Email or text.

Attachments

Last edited:

J!m

Private. VERY Private.
Aug 25, 2017
Connecticut
www.drivetheglobe.com
Just read all 61 pages...

i do most of my A-1 posting at M40Rifle.com, where I have a complete and drama filled thread on my build going... you will find my thread over there quickly if you look.

but ill post post some pics here too once my rifle is complete as well.

Im excited to finally have one of the finest combat rifles ever made.

Jun 1, 2009
Mississippi
My Raven build is due to head to black oxide this week. Next time I'm off the boat (mid November) it's MST mounting and zero time!

That's a TMA mount on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 9, 2010
SO CAL
1 of my mounts are on eBay now. They are being auctioned off for Katrina Hanna who was shot in Vegas. The proceeds will go to her medical bills. If you need a mount I donated 3 of them. This is a good time to buy And the money will help a worthy young lady.

Dec 9, 2010
SO CAL
Thanks J!M. The money from the donated mounts will go to

https://www.gofundme.com/4j0uzs8

The eBAy seller won't be taking payment, instead the buyer will pay to Ms. Hannah's gonfundme page. We are currently sold out of mounts as we filled an order for a builder in MO. The only 2 remaining are the two that we donated. I have had requests for many more and I will cut more as soon as we get time for M40 projects. Thanks to all the customers over the years and please donate to these people who are suffering if you can.

Take a look at this link and take pride in knowing that our military is filled with the finest in the world.

http://abc7.com/marine-saves-life-of...m%2F2485685%2F

Last edited:

SethJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 1, 2018
Re: M40a1 build guide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CWSShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">unless they were a previous Marine Corps armorer. </div></div>

Actually GAP has one of those too. Eric was a USMC 2112

http://www.gaprecision.net/content/aboutus.php
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biography of Eric Reid, Senior Custom Rifle Builder, G.A. Precision

[SNIP]

in 1994 he is recommended for the illustrious 2112 “Gunsmiths of the Corps,” 15 month OJT School at Precision Weapons Section, Weapons Training Battalion, MCCDC, Quantico, VA. There are no text books; the skills learned there are passed down from generation to generation, right there in the shop, right there at the bench. Upon completion of the school, he was assigned to Sniper section. Shortly thereafter, he was made section head, where his responsibilities included the training of new students, maintaining the rifles assigned to Scout Sniper Instructor School, and rebuilding the entire M40A1 inventory in the Corps. He got another medal. He was also instrumental in the research and development and building of the M40A3.</div></div>
Does GAP used the correct barrel? Most of the builders I've seen use a standard rem700 varmint barrel. The original m40a1 was significantly larger with very little if any taper,...at least that's how it looks. I've seen several " precision builders",..that use varmint barrels,....some even using 26" lol. Does anyone make an actual CORRECT m40a1 clone? I could be wrong about GAP,..dunno,..it just looks smaller from their web pics?

SethJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 1, 2018
Nice necro-post, quoting me from 11 years ago!

GA doesn't use a Remington Varmint contour barrel. All of their specs are listed on the product page:
https://www.gaprecision.net/usmc-m40a1.html
  • 25-inch (24-inch from Recoil Lug) USMC Contour Spec. 1-12 twist, 6groove, Stainless barrel 1.200 for 4-inch straight taper to approx. .920" at muzzle

Well,..I have issues trying to get a "historically correct" barrel. Here's an email from Karen Hart over at Hart Barrels she sent this morning reference a quote she's working on for me for an m40a1 barrel:

Seth - the M40A1 is 1.220 x 4 straight taper to .895 @ 26". You ca put a $200.00 deposit down and send the action in at a later date. There is no need for another gunsmith to have to screw the barrel on if we rebarrel for you - that's included in the rebarrel pricing.

SethJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 1, 2018
M40a1 sure as hell wasn't a 26" barrel?!?!??!...and the Hart barrel is also a 1/12 twist barrel. To me ,...it just sounds like a run of the mill shit varmint barrel that Hart is trying to pass off as an m40a1 barrel?

Last edited:

javentre

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 20, 2004
NoVA
I think you're confusing a blank length and contour dimensions @ lengths (to show taper amounts), with where the smith should cut/crown/finish a barrel.

Either way, spec'ing a rifle and associated tidbits to conform to a military spec is outside of my wheelhouse.

SethJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 1, 2018
I think you're confusing a blank length and contour dimensions @ lengths (to show taper amounts), with where the smith should cut/crown/finish a barrel.

Yea I'm kind of lost? I'm to provide her with my action (pacific machine precision rem700 short),....and they will barrel my action with an M40a1 barrel which is what I want. But she's throwing me off with these screwy dimensions. I just want to be sure she ain't trying to sell me no standard Remington heavy barrel. I have one of those already and it sucks. The chamber is waayyyyy long/ deep,...and I have hell getting 1 moa with my best slow handload. I don't want another one of those crappy barrels...lol. I gotta research some more, but it looks like all the old service photos I look at, the muzzle end is huge,...it seems to be like 1.22 all the way from the breech to the muzzle.

I'm not trying to build a PURE m40,.....I don't care about the bottom metal and serials and all that,....but I DO want the correct barrel. Preferably a good match chambered 1/10.

Jun 1, 2009
Mississippi
Yea I'm kind of lost? I'm to provide her with my action (pacific machine precision rem700 short),....and they will barrel my action with an M40a1 barrel which is what I want. But she's throwing me off with these screwy dimensions. I just want to be sure she ain't trying to sell me no standard Remington heavy barrel. I have one of those already and it sucks. The chamber is waayyyyy long/ deep,...and I have hell getting 1 moa with my best slow handload. I don't want another one of those crappy barrels...lol. I gotta research some more, but it looks like all the old service photos I look at, the muzzle end is huge,...it seems to be like 1.22 all the way from the breech to the muzzle.

I'm not trying to build a PURE m40,.....I don't care about the bottom metal and serials and all that,....but I DO want the correct barrel. Preferably a good match chambered 1/10.

I got a Schneider M40 contract barrel for the A1 that Raven Rifles just did for me. I haven’t been able to complete the process of zeroing due to my work schedule but it aeems to have excellent accuracy (precision?) potential. It has the correct contour unless I have been seriously misled. Of course you would still have to have it chambered and installed.

May 26, 2014
Collinsville, TX
I’ve spoke with Karen at Hart and ordered several barrels for my A1s with 0 problems. Top notch people to deal with. They supplied the USMC with barrels at one time for the A1 rifles. Gary Schnieder is also a easy person to deal with, I’ve spoken with him several times on the phone and he is always helpful.

mcm308

Sergeant
Mar 2, 2008
Bloomfield, NJ
Yes, when I did mine the correct barrel was a Schneider contract barrel from Gary himself. He was super helpful. And if I remember the outside machining was rougher then normal and he was telling me that's how the USMC wants them..lol I forget the details but he liked talking on the phone.

I'm going to put a belland Carlson m40 stock on my Remington varmint 308,...and I'll be right up there with you fellows! It shoots pretty good patterns right now to 100 yards, but I'm going to try and do some 1000 yards shots pretty soon when I can find a place. I never shot past aboput 150 yards, but I think the scope I have it shouldn't be a problem shooting to 1000 yards.

I have a leather sling with the holes in it too that I'm going to put on it to add for realism, you know to make it look even more real. It's old and worn out a little but it looks neat. I can't find one of those unertl scopes anywhere I look. Optics planet don't have them.

SethJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 1, 2018
I have a leather sling with the holes in it too that I'm going to put on it to add for realism, you know to make it look even more real. It's old and worn out a little but it looks neat. I can't find one of those unertl scopes anywhere I look. Optics planet don't have them.
I don't think you going to find them on opticsplaneto_O