M40 Stock

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
When there are few, no other, options than $925 becomes an option.

$575 is not a bad price for a quality stock.

Reactions: rth1800 and fe1

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
I don’t see any available for$575
My bad.

I looked through the ones showing on the page and they are all sold.

Have you messaged them to see if more stocks are coming.

fe1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 18, 2006
East Texas
No Sir I haven’t asked that specific question but I have asked if they had any in the $500 range a couple times and they never replied .

Random Guy

Private
Belligerents
May 16, 2012
I think Taylor made the first batch of stocks in late 2016 (I recall all the m40 forum orders) and a 2nd batch of 50 stocks in 2017. Apparently the last one or two of the high-end/fancy grain stocks were recently sold. The window closed for inexpensive stocks a couple of years ago, and the last 'cheap' one he had for $575 sold in late 2019. I suspect all the green scopes drove up demand too.

So, the only two options at this point is a WTB ad here and the M40 forum, and watch eBay and gunbroker auctions.. Either an early Remington PSS wood stock or the Taylor stocks are really the only two drop-in options that I am aware of. Good luck in the hunt.

Reactions: pmclaine and fe1

Random Guy

Private
Belligerents
May 16, 2012
I’ve read posts that Gunville m40ish stocks are maybe “65 percent” drop in and require some wood working skills...

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
I looked today and saw 700 PSS but not the wood stock version.

It sold

It was back about Dec 20.

I posted a link over at M40 rifle in the M40 section.

Think he wanted a tad over $1000, some of the more astute collectors didnt think it a deal. I saw a means to get an M40

Reactions: fe1

Basic user

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2013
Yea, another guy that hopes he can cash in on other desperate people with more money than brains. I bet his reserve is 600 because of the old crap excuse "supply and demand"... Which in my opinion supply and demand has zero to do with genuine logic lol.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
I bought one of this sellers...

short action wood stocks.

Its off at LRI now. We will see what it becomes.

Its not correct for M40, close but missing the cheek rise pad and safety bump.

Mine is pretty nicely figured, it should make a nice rifle.

It likely will be the weakest piece of my design @LongRifles Inc. will have some magic to do with it.

Wood stocks can be had cheap. Hope fully they are aged correctly. It will be a shame if a beautiful rifle is built and than the wood twists or splits.

Wood stocks can be expensive too.

Im listing a Springfield Armory (the real one) M1903 pre WWII "C" stock over at the CMP forum. Its NOS in rosin wrapping paper.

If you are an '03 person, crap any kind of a rifle person there is nothing more beautiful than a pre war 1903 stock, the dimensions are slim, yet aggressive, just a beautiful design - to me.

I paid $500 for it close to ten years ago. It was going to be on a pet rifle at some point but Im getting into other things so I listed it to sell. Its expensive but it reflects SA is no longer building stocks and a pre WWII stock will never be made again.

fe1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 18, 2006
East Texas
I bought one of this sellers...

short action wood stocks.

Its off at LRI now. We will see what it becomes.

Its not correct for M40, close but missing the cheek rise pad and safety bump.

Mine is pretty nicely figured, it should make a nice rifle.

It likely will be the weakest piece of my design @LongRifles Inc. will have some magic to do with it.

Wood stocks can be had cheap. Hope fully they are aged correctly. It will be a shame if a beautiful rifle is built and than the wood twists or splits.

Wood stocks can be expensive too.

Im listing a Springfield Armory (the real one) M1903 pre WWII "C" stock over at the CMP forum. Its NOS in rosin wrapping paper.

If you are an '03 person, crap any kind of a rifle person there is nothing more beautiful than a pre war 1903 stock, the dimensions are slim, yet aggressive, just a beautiful design - to me.

I paid $500 for it close to ten years ago. It was going to be on a pet rifle at some point but Im getting into other things so I listed it to sell. Its expensive but it reflects SA is no longer building stocks and a pre WWII stock will never be made again.
That’s some nice looking wood. Has it been stained?
I don’t know why they won’t do a M40 style.
I messaged them and never got a response to the M40 inquiry.
It seems that patience and $$$ is the key to finding an M40 style stock.

fe1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 18, 2006
East Texas
Yea, another guy that hopes he can cash in on other desperate people with more money than brains. I bet his reserve is 600 because of the old crap excuse "supply and demand"... Which in my opinion supply and demand has zero to do with genuine logic lol.
I had the option to purchase this stock but found a correct one for a buck fifty more.
I needed a unmolested correct style due to restoration of a factory SSA M40. Otherwise I would have opted in.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
That’s some nice looking wood. Has it been stained?
I don’t know why they won’t do a M40 style.
I messaged them and never got a response to the M40 inquiry.
It seems that patience and $$$ is the key to finding an M40 style stock.
That's not my stock but mine is figured.

He hits them with mineral spirits to expose the grain for the picture. When finished with oil it should pop the grain nicely.

He said he would do M40 if someone sends him one to replicate.

Yes......patience grasshopper.

navynambu

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
I've got a mint police stock left that I could send him to copy, it still has the pointy snout on it tho.

drbcolt

Private
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2011
MO
I got mine from Boyds years ago. I believe it was one of the left over stocks from the M40 SSA build Remington did years ago.M40 (5).jpg

gregv

Private
Belligerents
Apr 30, 2010
West Slope
I don’t see any available for$575
Does TP ever have any of their $500-600 stocks available/in-stock????? Doesn’t seem like it. I bought a walnut PSS from Numrich years ago and more recently, a CRS M40 copy. The CRS needs a bit of fitting, but I think that’s the one I’m goin with. The PSS is a beautiful stock and looks to be pretty much a “drop-in”, but I just like the feel of the CRS

Last edited:

fe1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 18, 2006
East Texas
CRS?
I have an extra Numerich stock If you are looking. I have to make sure someone else isn’t going to take first that is interested in it.
PM me if so