Long time lurker - Houston, TX

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Hey everyone, long time lurker here in Houston, TX. I look forward to becoming more addicted with everyone. If there are any local members hit me up and lets shoot sometime!

Thanks,

TR

CBZ78

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
It’s pretty decent country, tx wasn’t bad either. Went through the northern part(amarillo) a couple years ago

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
It’s pretty decent country, tx wasn’t bad either. Went through the northern part(amarillo) a couple years ago
That’s great. I haven’t made it east of the Chicago/New Orleans line yet but plan to.

One thing I do appreciate about living next to the coast is the lack of winter. It’ll get pretty cold for a day or two, but other than that they’re very mild.

acudaowner

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
welcome , have not been to Texas , but hope to travel and get to try some of the ranges in the state before too long . from Delaware here .

CBZ78

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
I hear you, Virginia isn’t Montana but it can get pretty cold here in the winter. We are in the mtns and got below zero wind chills this past winter

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Cool to see another Houston guy! You ever shoot at ASC? Or do you have a preferred range? I’m in Katy.
Hell yeah it is!

I have not made it out that way yet. Honestly, short of the range out in Navasota, I have not been to many down here in Houston. We have some acreage northeast of Dallas that we can reach out and touch 550-600.

How is ASC?

Crschnei

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2019
It’s pretty good. They have 50-600 yard ranges and make people qualify on the 300 yard range to move up. I never knew there was a range out in Navasota. How is that one?

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
It’s pretty good. They have 50-600 yard ranges and make people qualify on the 300 yard range to move up. I never knew there was a range out in Navasota. How is that one?
I will have to give it a try. Are there idiots there pointing their muzzles everywhere?

I love the one in navasota. Trying to become a member this year. I go as a guest. It goes out to 1200. They have several events and I believe the PRS heads out that way this time of year.

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Oh yeah, we definitely don’t see humidity like you guys do
I grew up in southern Louisiana...when I hired on the railroad and moved to Kansas City, I thought I was going to get a break from humidity. Boy was I wrong. Did get to see snow for the first time however.

Crschnei

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2019
I will have to give it a try. Are there idiots there pointing their muzzles everywhere?

I love the one in navasota. Trying to become a member this year. I go as a guest. It goes out to 1200. They have several events and I believe the PRS heads out that way this time of year.

The days I’ve gone everyone has been pretty good. They have multiple range Marshall’s out there to keep morons in check. I was checking the one in Navasota online. Looks legit!

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
The days I’ve gone everyone has been pretty good. They have multiple range Marshall’s out there to keep morons in check. I was checking the one in Navasota online. Looks legit!
That’s great man. I went to one out west of college station....and it was so bad I packed up and left. Not doing that again. That was many years ago however.

For sure. If you’d like to go sometime I could probably get you on.

TXBO

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
If you live close to Crosby, check ou basctx.com.

It's a private club and we have ranges from 50 to 600 yards.

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Membership only opens up once a year so go ahead and get on the waiting list. It's about $170/year and you get the combination to the gate to use 365 days a year.
Thank you. I’ll get on the list. When does it open?

What’s the renewal process like?

TXBO

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Thank you. I’ll get on the list. When does it open?

What’s the renewal process like?
Renewal is usually over in September and they decide how many spots open for new members. If you're on the waiting list, you will get notice of new member orientation for a date in October. You'll go to mandatory orientation meeting, take a rules test online, pay online and receive the code to the gate and a badge to print immediately.

You also have to qualify for the long range facility, 300-600 yards, but you have to wait a year to do that. First year members are considered probationary. You can shoot at the longe range during your first year but you have to be hosted by a certified member. I'd be happy to host you often if you join.

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Renewal is usually over in September and they decide how many spots open for new members. If you're on the waiting list, you will get notice of new member orientation for a date in October. You'll go to mandatory orientation meeting, take a rules test online, pay online and receive the code to the gate and a badge to print immediately.

You also have to qualify for the long range facility, 300-600 yards, but you have to wait a year to do that. First year members are considered probationary. You can shoot at the longe range during your first year but you have to be hosted by a certified member. I'd be happy to host you often if you join.
Great thanks for the breakdown!

I appreciate the explanation. Going to get on the list tonight.

And I do appreciate that very much!

Reactions: TXBO

DeftSystems

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
The one in Navasota is pretty sweet. They do a 1-day PRS-style club match there. I think it's the second Saturday of every month. I went to the one in Feb, and will be there in April. It was my first match, and they really shepherded me around and showed me the ropes. 80+ shooters, and it was cold and rainy. The match was well-run, and only went from 8am to 2:30pm. Targets were 1-4 moa (figure 2 moa average), and I think my round count was 90 or less. $50 well spent.

Crschnei

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2019
The one in Navasota is pretty sweet. They do a 1-day PRS-style club match there. I think it's the second Saturday of every month. I went to the one in Feb, and will be there in April. It was my first match, and they really shepherded me around and showed me the ropes. 80+ shooters, and it was cold and rainy. The match was well-run, and only went from 8am to 2:30pm. Targets were 1-4 moa (figure 2 moa average), and I think my round count was 90 or less. $50 well spent.
That’s legit! Are you a member up there or were you able to do the comp as a guest?

DeftSystems

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
That’s legit! Are you a member up there or were you able to do the comp as a guest?
Guest. I have no intention of membership; I just don't have the spare time to justify the cost. My plan is to use the monthly match as a practice and DOPE gathering session in anticipation of the next monthly match... ;)

DeftSystems

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
Guest. I have no intention of membership; I just don't have the spare time to justify the cost. My plan is to use the monthly match as a practice and DOPE gathering session in anticipation of the next monthly match... ;)
Also, vast majority of targets were 350 yards to 650 yards, with one stage at an 1100 yard target.

Crschnei

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2019

That is actually a GREAT idea. I was in their site and like you, have a tough time justifying a membership for how often I could go up there. I may have to take this route as well. Hope to see you out there once I get my set-up

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
That is great! I will have to try to make it out there for one of those sometime

Shankin McStaby

First Earl of Gunmore
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Welcome to the site booty.

Another Houston guy here. I live in Katy, but I’m all over the place with work.

ASC is my home range. Been giving thought to trying to join Bayou Rifles, but their waitlist is only open for about 15 minutes a year, literally.

I’ve been thinking about trying some sort or long range match, either PRS/NRL style or F-open (due to caliber).

Good to see there are a few other Houston guys on here. We should all get together at a range sometime.

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Welcome to the site booty.

Another Houston guy here. I live in Katy, but I’m all over the place with work.

ASC is my home range. Been giving thought to trying to join Bayou Rifles, but their waitlist is only open for about 15 minutes a year, literally.

I’ve been thinking about trying some sort or long range match, either PRS/NRL style or F-open (due to caliber).

Good to see there are a few other Houston guys on here. We should all get together at a range sometime.
Thanks, glad to join up!

Everything I have read about Bayou mirrors your statement. Seems like it is high demand.

I am aiming to start competing this year as well. Any matches on your radar?

Let’s do it sometime. Not sure how long you’ve been shooting but I would love to learn from others.

Yeah I didn’t see many posts from other Houston area folks. I was hoping this would spark some to come out of the woodworks. Glad to see it did

Shankin McStaby

First Earl of Gunmore
Online Training Access
Minuteman
I was thinking about hitting up some f-class matches at Bayous Juliff range. Mostly likely start with a mid range 300 or 600 yard match, just to get a feel for it. I would like to get into PRS type matches, but I don’t know of any around here other than the Navasota one that has been mentioned.

I figure I’ll spend time at ASC and learn wind at their 300, 400 and 600 lines, compete f class at 300-600 and learn more about wind while competing, then move up to PRS when I’m a little more confident in my wind calls.

Bayou has 600yd matches this month, April, and May, and then a 300 in June. I won’t be able to shoot it this month (this weekend), but I might be able to head out there in April or May.

www.bayourifles.org

Check out their club calendar. F class will fall under HP. Let me know if you wanna hit one up. We can be newbs together. Lol.

bootysweat1592

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
I was thinking about hitting up some f-class matches at Bayous Juliff range. Mostly likely start with a mid range 300 or 600 yard match, just to get a feel for it. I would like to get into PRS type matches, but I don’t know of any around here other than the Navasota one that has been mentioned.

I figure I’ll spend time at ASC and learn wind at their 300, 400 and 600 lines, compete f class at 300-600 and learn more about wind while competing, then move up to PRS when I’m a little more confident in my wind calls.

Bayou has 600yd matches this month, April, and May, and then a 300 in June. I won’t be able to shoot it this month (this weekend), but I might be able to head out there in April or May.

www.bayourifles.org

Check out their club calendar. F class will fall under HP. Let me know if you wanna hit one up. We can be newbs together. Lol.
Good info!

Sounds good haha