Long range AR build

Dec 15, 2011
SE Michigan
I know this is my first post but I have been on the site for 7 years learning a lot. And for that I thank you.

I decided to do a budget build for mid range plinking / Varmint hunting and for fun. I have my RPR (6.5CM) and Remington 700 (223) for more serious long range shooting. To make things harder, I decided I wanted it in FDE limiting choices. The goal was to keep the total build under $1500 but still have a sub MOA rifle.

Here is what the build looks like so far:
VLTOR MUR upper and VRA lower in FDE
Keystone 223 wylde 20" varmint barrel, rifle length gas, 5/8-24 threads for my can
Superlative adjustable gas block
Stag bolt
Geisele sse-a trigger with stag anti rotation pins
Spikes carbine tube with t2 buffer
Sekins Precision FDE trigger guard, ambi safety, gas tube, enhanced bolt catch
B5 Sopmod stock
Aero Precision free float hand guard FDE
Radian Raptor ambi charging handle in FDE
Harris 6-9" bipod

Total cost about $1400. Being patient helped as I bought almost everything on sale and saved $4-500

For glass, I plan on mounting my Aurora 8010 day/night scope.

Long term trying to decide on upgrades and moving the parts to other ARs:
VLTOR A5 or JP SCS for the extension
Longer handguard
Possibly a different stock, but the SOPMOD fits me well.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
Go Stag 15 Varminter Kit, with the Stag Stripped Lower Receiver.

This is exactly what I did, and it works very nicely. Save lots of money; and for what you're looking to do, the extra expenditure is not really justified (IMHO). Think about how the money you save can be applied to optics. For $260, you can do what I did with the optics and have a very serviceable MR rig for well under you build budget. The Upper arrived completely assembled. Just add the Magpul BAD Lever to the Lower.

Yes, I see you bought already; but for your next build...

My rifle literally went together in under an hour. The mounts...; two piece because I use the Caldwell Pic Rail Brass Catcher.

Greg

Last edited:

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
Yeah,. I kinda agree with the above. I would consider a different bolt, at a minimum I would go with a BCM, or RCA.

Your choice of Upper Receiver is excellent, I've had 100% success while using VLTOR Uppers receivers in 20" AR Builds.

Dec 15, 2011
SE Michigan
Thanks all, I had the stag bolt lying around from another build. If I find accuracy issues it will be one of the first things I change. Will also see how well it locks up/fits the barrel.

The Spikes carbine tube also was lying around so I decided to use it. Will probably upgrade it later on.

Anyone use the JP silent capture springs? Trying to decide between that and VLTOR A5 buffers as down the road modifications.

Dec 15, 2011
SE Michigan
Go Stag 15 Varminter Kit, with the Stag Stripped Lower Receiver.

This is exactly what I did, and it works very nicely. Save lots of money; and for what you're looking to do, the extra expenditure is not really justified (IMHO). Think about how the money you save can be applied to optics. For $260, you can do what I did with the optics and have a very serviceable MR rig for well under you build budget. The Upper arrived completely assembled. Just add the Magpul BAD Lever to the Lower.

Yes, I see you bought already; but for your next build...

My rifle literally went together in under an hour. The mounts...; two piece because I use the Caldwell Pic Rail Brass Catcher.

Greg
I have the Aurora 8010 scope for this build. It is amazingly clear (one of the best I have used), and in 10 seconds can be transformed into Gen 3 night vision for getting rid of critters in the dark.

Dec 15, 2011
SE Michigan
It is made from Seiler (From what I could find) and also sold as
ITT-F7201
Aurora 8010 (Gen III) by Aurura Tactical
VisionMASTER VM56 by McMillan and Seiler

Sep 27, 2008
California/SFO
I used an early ITT 7201 for several years on an SR-25 at Work in the early-mid 2000's. I was not impressed with the scope at that price. I would look for a newer alternative.

Dec 15, 2011
SE Michigan
Well took it out and shot it to 500 yards. Did not have match ammo but with CBC 77 grain OTC ammo it was shooting under 1 MOA, and just over 1 MOA with IMI 62 grain ammo at 100 yards. Put 30 of 30 rounds on an IPSC steel plate in rapid fire (under 1 min for 30 rounds) at 500 yards (prone with bipod)
The next step is to try out about a dozen different heavy bullets (65-77 grain) to see which one it likes best.

Top Bottom