LMT .308 MWS

ltong29

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2019
My SS Barrel says "MP 7.62 NATO 1/11.25 SS"

Realistically, either barrel should be sub-MOA with decent ammo, and sub 0.5 MOA with good ammo. Is 1:10 better at stabilizing heavier projectiles than the 1:11.25? I've read that 1:11.25 is better with M80 ball (~150gr) than the 1:10, while both are good with the MR118 (~173gr) and 1:10 is significantly better with sub-sonics

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
My SS Barrel says "MP 7.62 NATO 1/11.25 SS"

Realistically, either barrel should be sub-MOA with decent ammo, and sub 0.5 MOA with good ammo. Is 1:10 better at stabilizing heavier projectiles than the 1:11.25? I've read that 1:11.25 is better with M80 ball (~150gr) than the 1:10, while both are good with the MR118 (~173gr) and 1:10 is significantly better with sub-sonics
If sub-half-MOA ARs were as common as people claim, they would dominate PRS. As it is I don’t see a lot of 6x5 targets for these things.

Reactions: M8541Reaper

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
If sub-half-MOA ARs were as common as people claim, they would dominate PRS. As it is I don’t see a lot of 6x5 targets for these things.
There was a thread in this forum about Savage MSRs not that long ago and the term "1/2 moa all day" was thrown around quite liberally. Then near the end a dude posted a 3 (I think) shot group at ~1/3 moa lol. It was a nice target. I'm a decent shooter and shoot KAC and LMT ss barrels all the time, bipod and rear bag, concrete bench, many perfect non windy days etc, and I'm still 1moa-a little better occasionally and a little worse usually.

I shoot with a lot of good shooters with high end equipment and I see the same thing for the most part. You get into bolt actions and they're consistently below 1" but they still have to work hard to get it.

david walter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
TriCities, WA
I was shooting today and with ammo it likes (Hornady 155 AMAX over Varget), it was an honest 1" gun, with other ammo I took for comparison, it was 1-1/2" to 2"

I can live with 1-1/2" out of a semiauto battle rifle all day long. If I'm doing my math right, that's a center of chest hit to 600 everytime.

Bearchills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2020
Hello all. I'm a new LMT 308 owner. I joined this forum specifically because it's just about the Only place I've found where people are keeping alive a discussion about this gun. Almost anywhere else I looked, I couldn't find any current topics about the LMT MWS 308. All my googling just turned up years old threads.

I'm glad to have joined the club. The club of LMT owners, that is. This is actually my first 308. I was kind of surprised because I expect a 308 to be heavier than AR-15s, and everybody always says the LMTs are heavier compared to other AR-10s, but this gun really doesn't feel that heavy in my hands. Of course, it could be due to the mlok rail and lightweight CL 16" barrel.

I've only shot it once, and it was at >25yrds. I was waiting for my Nightforce NXS to come. Now that I have it, I need to get out to the 100yrd range. Unfortunately there's no range anywhere near me with longer than a hundred.

I'm sure I'll be asking you guys questions and opinions in the future. I'm glad to have found a place where people still talk about these guns. It's weird to me that it was difficult to find anything recent.
One thing I'm wondering; what's a good "battle zero" with 308s. I used to do the 50/200 with AR-15s, I kind of go for the 36yrd lately. But I've never known anything about what's good for a gun like this one. Or do people just zero at 100?

Anyway, here's a quick picture to say hello. 20200202_113720.jpg

Tono

And...
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Texas
Hello all. I'm a new LMT 308 owner. I joined this forum specifically because it's just about the Only place I've found where people are keeping alive a discussion about this gun. Almost anywhere else I looked, I couldn't find any current topics about the LMT MWS 308. All my googling just turned up years old threads.

I'm glad to have joined the club. The club of LMT owners, that is. This is actually my first 308. I was kind of surprised because I expect a 308 to be heavier than AR-15s, and everybody always says the LMTs are heavier compared to other AR-10s, but this gun really doesn't feel that heavy in my hands. Of course, it could be due to the mlok rail and lightweight CL 16" barrel.

I've only shot it once, and it was at >25yrds. I was waiting for my Nightforce NXS to come. Now that I have it, I need to get out to the 100yrd range. Unfortunately there's no range anywhere near me with longer than a hundred.

I'm sure I'll be asking you guys questions and opinions in the future. I'm glad to have found a place where people still talk about these guns. It's weird to me that it was difficult to find anything recent.
One thing I'm wondering; what's a good "battle zero" with 308s. I used to do the 50/200 with AR-15s, I kind of go for the 36yrd lately. But I've never known anything about what's good for a gun like this one. Or do people just zero at 100?

Anyway, here's a quick picture to say hello.
Welcome to the LMT 308 MWS club!

Since I use a scope on mine, I've zeroed the rifle for 100 yards. I sure that there are people who have used some other yardage...

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN

Anyway, here's a quick picture to say hello. View attachment 7242679

Nice setup. I do 100yd zero as well. My club has steel at 200-400 so that works for me.

RUTGERS95

Private
Belligerents
Nov 2, 2009
yardley PA

Anyway, here's a quick picture to say hello. View attachment 7242679
great looking stick, welcome.
m4carbine.net has 300 pages of lmt mws talk:) you got a great brake on her.
100yd zero is fine

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
Just pulled the carbine stock off and slid the PRS on. Nothing else was needed.
I did it twice. One I used a rifle system and one the XL buffers via carbine. PRS all the difference to me.

PB

Last edited:

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
What kind of accuracy should I be getting or expect with a 16” 308?
Your standard 16CL will often shoot MOA, the SS barrels will often shoot .5 MOA. Every barrel is different as is every shooter. But other barrels you can bump .5 moa to both of those numbers depending on the luck of the draw.

My 16CL LW was a 1.5 MOA gun. A friend gave me his spare (only bought to shoot 6.5) and his standard CL shoots MOA. I bought a 20 inch SS and it shoots sub moa easy and often. Just to give some perspective and variance.

I think the LW barrels are just as good, I think luck of the draw.

PB

jonthomps

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 9, 2009
Kansas City
FYI - Just put a 308 16" CL barrel assembly up for sale for anyone interested. Edit 02.13.20 - Price drop: $350

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper

jet_lagged

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 5, 2010
WA, The Evergreen State (KBFI)
I had previously gone down the route of the Heavy Buffer (10 oz buffer) and Wolff XP spring to try and alleviate the excessive recoil from being over gassed. They helped somewhat, but the result was still not as good as with an adjustable gas block on an AR-10 platform.

There had been one mention in this thread of the Black River Tactical "EZTune" gas tube, so I decide to give that a try (I have no affiliation with them, and was not familiar with them until reading the post). You tell them a bunch of variables and they come up with a recommendation or a custom tube: the barrel length (20"). caliber (.308), buffer (stock H3), spring (stock mil-spec), BCG (stock LMT), and suppressor (Gemtech), and mixed use or suppressor only use.

Looking at the their drop down menu, gas port inlet on the gas tube would range from 0.081-0.095 for 20"/.308 depending on the factors.

Gas tube came shipped in a cardboard tube with an included roll pin. Gas tube had the normal/large inlet on one side, and a smaller inlet 180 degrees opposite that. Installed it small inlet down, so that restricts the gas coming off of the gas block, and the normal inlet is doing nothing, as it is being blocked by the top part of the gas block.

Mine tube was "tuned" for suppressed use only. Cycled fine with M80 ball and M118 clone loads with the can installed. With the can removed, the spent rounds would eject, but the bolt would not lock back on an empty mag. Seems like they have it figured out! In the end, I think recoil and vibration is much less that with the 10oz heavy buffer slamming around and excessive gas.

So outside of going to an adjustable gas block, restricting the gas entry via the smaller port on the gas tube seems like the best solution. Instead of buying a second one from them for a 16" barrel, I may just buy a few gas tubes and a handful of numbered drill bits and experiment in making my own custom gas tube. YMMV.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie

Bearchills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2020
Can someone tell me why LMT stopped making 24" barrels for 6.5 CM, and now only offer 20"?
From what I understood, I thought the round was designed around a 28" barrel, so why go so much shorter. Is there really no performance gain? Velocity gain not enough to justify the cost?
Is it worth $800?

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
College Station, Tx
Can someone tell me why LMT stopped making 24" barrels for 6.5 CM, and now only offer 20"?
From what I understood, I thought the round was designed around a 28" barrel, so why go so much shorter. Is there really no performance gain? Velocity gain not enough to justify the cost?
Is it worth $800?
Probably didn't sell well. I have a 24" barrel for mine and it's like swinging a boat oar. I think they started with 20" barrels only.

dbraun89

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 26, 2017
Missouri
FYI - Just put a 308 16" CL barrel assembly up for sale for anyone interested. Edit 02.13.20 - Price drop: $350

I sold my 16" 1:10 CL 308 as well. It was sad what I ended up selling it for.

Bearchills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2020
V1 tactical has them on "special order", which means they have to order it from LMT. They're $700

I'll be honest, I legitimately thought that LMT had completely discontinued the 24" barrels.
I talked to the V1 Tactical folks and they seemed unaware. They said they called LMT about it, and called me back to tell me what they heard. They told me that while LMT is not currently producing those barrels, they are not permanently discontinued. And they will be making more, despite the barrels not showing on their website.
I now feel less rushed to obtain one, but I do still want one.
I am sure I saw many people in multiple places saying that LMT was only making 20" barrels moving forward.
While I didn't personally talk to LMT, I doubt that the people at V1 Tactical were BSing me.
I'm glad to hear it. I can take a breath and wait on the barrel if I know they aren't going to become unicorns.
It's not that I don't have the money to buy that one, at $800+ shipped.. but, there is a certain person who isn't very happy about my spending $2500 + $1600 + $950 on a gun, scope, accessories and ammo. All within a month.. … … .. . . . .
…...…. . . . . . .

Holy shit.

I didn't want to know.
I seriously, purposely, didn't think about it.
That's a lot of money! I'm out of control!
I didn't even buy my SSA-E trigger or Pelican case yet. And I'm already looking at a secondary $700-$800 barrel???
Somebody stop me!!

On a side note, I decided that I really don't like the Knights Armament mount I bought. It is bulky and ugly to me. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't make much sense on a monolithic upper. I think I am going to get Nightforce Ultralite rings.
Oh yeah. I just bought a DMR buttstock on a whim too.
Man. I really am out of control. Hopefully I can find someone who wants to buy the Knights mount. It's just a $300 paperweight to me..

Reactions: Puget Shooter

Bearchills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2020
Thats good to know. Im going to call LMT as I want a 24" I'll report back what they say
Please do. The more confirmation about it the better. You never know for sure. I really want one some day, but I thought my time to find one was limited. If they really are going to still make them, that changes everything. My wallet can take a rest lol

Reactions: RUTGERS95

1NDY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2019
I recently (last fall) got the MWS in 6.5 CM with a 20 inch barrel and got a 16 inch .308 barrel beginning of the year. Paired mine with the Minox ZP5 5-25 on a spuhr mount. I've only gotten to shoot it a couple times so far and I love it! Two questions for fellow fans:

I have the 7.62 OSS Helix Ti in jail right now after some pretty extensive research and talking to the guys at Mile High, which is what they recommended. Is anyone else here using this supressor and how are your results?

Secondly, I'm considering going to the 3 day long range shooting class put on by Mile High and am wondering if anyone here has taken, if so what was your experience, and is this rifle is appropriate for this class?

Thanks for any input

Chris.

Bearchills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2020
I think I made a mistake. That DMR buttstock seems like it's gonna be useless to me..
I'll admit, I wanted it because I thought it looked cool, and I thought it would be more appropriate for a long range setup with my future 24" barrel. Now I'm thinking I just wasted money.
The cheek riser is too far back. If get a cheek weld on that, it feels like I'm a mile away from the scope. If I put my head where I normally would to take aim, my face is resting half on and half off the riser. Not very comfortable.
Another thing is, I don't really understand the need for a cheek riser.. My scope is at a pretty perfect height for my normal cheek weld.
Is it that people have scopes with massive objective lenses on their ARs? Is that why some people need a riser to get their head up a little?

Little bit disappointed. Now I have two nearly $300 paperweights; the knights scope mount, and the DMR stock. Yay! Lol.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
I recently ordered a new lmt mlk mws battle rifle from v1 tactical. Great price, but just got sent an email saying it will not be shipped until october! I guess lmt is really behind on military contracts for it to take that long. I guess as long as it gets here before the election I will be fine...
For those who have ordered lmt rifles from v1 tactical, are the ship date estimates usually pretty acccurate?

Last edited:

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
I recently ordered a new lmt mlk mws battle rifle from v1 tactical. Great price, but just got sent an email saying it will not be shipped until october! I guess lmt is really behind on military contracts for it to take that long. I guess as long as it gets here before the election I will be fine...
For those who have ordered lmt rifles from v1 tactical, are the ship date estimates usually pretty acccurate?
John is a solid guy. He puts in orders to LMT and waits like every other dealer as far as I can tell. Not sure about accurate ship dates-all I can fall back on is John is a solid guy and won't BS you.

The DFC

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
White Bear Lake, MN
I think I made a mistake. That DMR buttstock seems like it's gonna be useless to me..
I'll admit, I wanted it because I thought it looked cool, and I thought it would be more appropriate for a long range setup with my future 24" barrel. Now I'm thinking I just wasted money.
The cheek riser is too far back. If get a cheek weld on that, it feels like I'm a mile away from the scope. If I put my head where I normally would to take aim, my face is resting half on and half off the riser. Not very comfortable.
Another thing is, I don't really understand the need for a cheek riser.. My scope is at a pretty perfect height for my normal cheek weld.
Is it that people have scopes with massive objective lenses on their ARs? Is that why some people need a riser to get their head up a little?

Little bit disappointed. Now I have two nearly $300 paperweights; the knights scope mount, and the DMR stock. Yay! Lol.

Sounds like it's not set up right-or rather your scope is not set up to your stock. Basically get the stock set up the way you want it-then get the scope set up to match. Fine tune from there as needed. I didn't like mine at first either but once I got everything tweeked it's much better.

Lucky Se7en

Private
Belligerents
Jun 5, 2014
RI
I’m guessing your wait will be about 70% the duration they’re telling you based on my experience. John has been proactive about keeping me in the loop without me needing to ask him for updates. It seems like there were some contracts that came up in early January and changes to the production facilities that pushed the dates to the right.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
John is a solid guy. He puts in orders to LMT and waits like every other dealer as far as I can tell. Not sure about accurate ship dates-all I can fall back on is John is a solid guy and won't BS you.
Thanks. Yeah, I knew the site had a good rep from reading posts here, but it is always good to read first hand experiences. I think I was just surprised at such a long ship time. It will definitely be all that much sweeter when it gets here though!

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
I’m guessing your wait will be about 70% the duration they’re telling you based on my experience. John has been proactive about keeping me in the loop without me needing to ask him for updates. It seems like there were some contracts that came up in early January and changes to the production facilities that pushed the dates to the right.
That is also great to read! I will plan on it being October, and if it gets here earlier it will be a nice surprise. Besides, I definitely would rather support a business and thus indirectly giving tax revenue to a free state like iowa than a gun banning state like Illinois.

Coon Hound

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2019
I emailed Clint at heavy buffers. Does anyone know if the LMT 6.5 Long Range has an A5 buffer tube — that is 7 5/8 inches deep?

Tono

And...
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Texas
I emailed Clint at heavy buffers. Does anyone know if the LMT 6.5 Long Range has an A5 buffer tube — that is 7 5/8 inches deep?
I own a 6.5 Long Range. The buffer tube on mine is 7 5/8 inches deep.

If you have the LMT DMR stock on the rifle, it's very easy to remove. No tools needed. Just pull down on the stock adjustment pin and slide the stock off of the buffer tube. You can measure the tube at that point.

If your buffer tube is 7 5/8 inches deep. This is the one that you need.

1582243895096.png

Reactions: Coon Hound

Coon Hound

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2019
I own a 6.5 Long Range. The buffer tube on mine is 7 5/8 inches deep.

If you have the LMT DMR stock on the rifle, it's very easy to remove. No tools needed. Just pull down on the stock adjustment pin and slide the stock off of the buffer tube. You can measure the tube at that point.

If your buffer tube is 7 5/8 inches deep. This is the one that you need.

View attachment 7254976
Thanks very much. Have you done anything else to the rifle that you would recommend? I added a heavy duty muzzle brake and switched out the trigger.

Tono

And...
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Texas
Thanks very much. Have you done anything else to the rifle that you would recommend? I added a heavy duty muzzle brake and switched out the trigger.
My additions/changes are Magpul PRS GEN3 stock, XH Carbine Buffer, Geissele SSAE trigger and a VG6 Lambda Muzzle Brake, 20" Stainless Steel 5R 7.62x51 Barrel.

I'm using a VG6 Lambda Muzzle Brake on both the 6.5 Creedmoor and 7.62x51 NATO barrels.

apvg100029ar1-lambda-30-1.jpg
apvg100029ar1-lambda-30-2.jpg

Coon Hound

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2019
My additions/changes are Magpul PRS GEN3 stock, XH Carbine Buffer, Geissele SSAE trigger and a VG6 Lambda Muzzle Brake, 20" Stainless Steel 5R 7.62x51 Barrel.

I'm using a VG6 Lambda Muzzle Brake on both the 6.5 Creedmoor and 7.62x51 NATO barrels.

apvg100029ar1-lambda-30-1.jpg
apvg100029ar1-lambda-30-2.jpg

are you happy with the magpul over the factory stock?

Tono

And...
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
Texas
are you happy with the magpul over the factory stock?
Yes. I believe that the Magpul PRS GEN3 is a better stock.

When shooting from the prone position, I need to move the butt pad higher so that it fits me better. This helps to control the recoil.

The butt pad on the LMT stock is not height adjustable.

Last edited:

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
Does everyone who has a factory 13.5 inch model or 16 inch cut down barrel to 13.5 still like it? I was dead set on a 16 inch barrel until I read a number of older posts here and m4carbine about how it only loses negligible feet per second inside 600 yards or so and how much handier and lighter it is, so that is what I ended up ordering from v1 tactical.

NFAJohn

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Richmond, Texas
F82D39E1-1380-4200-9D64-40D9A28DB655.jpeg
16” stainless 308 I bought used from the PX. The more time I spend running this thing the more I learn to appreciate just how different shooting a gas gun is. I was going to go down the rabbit hole and hand load for it, but with factory fodder shooting like this I think I’ll stock up imi and just shoot it.

Reactions: SOCAL and Tono

smead45

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Dec 28, 2010
Illinois
I have a 16" SS lm8. It is a good designated marksman rifle for sure. If I load the bipod and apply all the fundamentals I can keep it around 1 inch at my desired POA. If I don't load the bipod the groups open up and are consistently high about 1.25" @ 100. I want a longer barrel but would like something other than factory. Was thinking about having Marvin Pitts spin one up on a Bartlein blank. Maybe oversize the barrel sleeve a couple thousandths of an inch and tighten it up a bit? I'm open to suggestions.

Starman_Dan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2020
Does everyone who has a factory 13.5 inch model or 16 inch cut down barrel to 13.5 still like it? I was dead set on a 16 inch barrel until I read a number of older posts here and m4carbine about how it only loses negligible feet per second inside 600 yards or so and how much handier and lighter it is, so that is what I ended up ordering from v1 tactical.
I just pieced together an LMT MWS with 8.5oz buffer over the past couple of weeks as my first .308 rifle. I have had a couple 5.56 ARs and wanted a "Battle Rifle" so I went with the light weight chrome lined 13.5" barrel and had it pinned/welded with a KAC 5-Slot QDC flash hider to get it to 16".

I don't have a frame of reference for the weight of one with a 16" barrel, but I have been loving it so far and don't see myself going for a longer barrel unless I wanted to turn it into more of a bench gun. I stick so much shit on it as is (LPVO, WML, DBAL) and the weight it's sitting at right now is a little on the heavy side, but still within the limits of what I'm comfortable with.

Only have a few hundred rounds through it so far, but it handles really well and shoots great. It is significantly more comfortable to shoot than I thought it would be, honestly. The only issue I've seen with it so far is that I've been experiencing scope slip with my Accupoint 1-8 (Quite a bit in my ADM Recon mount and only a little in my Scalarworks LEAP, both properly torqued to spec) but I have some powdered rosin on the way which should remedy that!

Last edited:

flyfisherman246

Private
Belligerents
May 26, 2017
I posted this in the px but figured it would do best here.

I have a cl .308 barrel that was chopped and threaded 5/8x24 with a silencerco asr muzzle brake pinned and welded. Barrel length was right around 14.125" and just over 16" with the brake. This barrel only lost 34 fps from the original 16" length and it really smoothed up the system but cutting back on the dwell time meaning less gas. 2" doesn't sound like much but it feels way shorter and lighter.

The reason I have this posted is because I am giving someone the opportunity to take advantage of the work already done. I am going to spin up a bartlein blank using an lmt barrel extension and once I do that, the rest of the barrel and muzzlebrake are trash.

The barrel has about 350 rounds through it.

I am willing to trade the barrel for any other mws barrel and asr brake or a barrel and $80 to buy a new brake. Also, will sell it for $500 obo.

Once again I could just take the extension off this barrel and scrap the rest, but I'm giving the opportunity for somebody to take advantage of the work that's been done on this before it goes in the trash.
IMG_5577.JPGIMG_5578.JPG