LMT .308 MWS

The DFC

New Hide Member
Apr 14, 2018
MN
Once more, this is not a knock on LMT, I love my rifle very much and hope this doesn't turn into a pissing contest with somebody who throws it in their pelican case and shoots at a concrete range on weekends and says their rifle is flawless. I only posted this for informational purposes and hopefully others can learn from what I have experience. If anyone has any questions about what has happened please feel free to PM me.

Very valuable info from somebody that uses the hell out of the rifle that I have. Super accurate description of weekend concrete bench shooters too because that's me with the exception of the handful of times a year I stretch it out on the family property because that's all I have time for lol.

I plan on picking up a 6.5 creed barrel with the knowledge that if accuracy doesn't please me I have options.

vanguardn7

New Hide Member
May 19, 2018
rookie mistake, just got my 13.5 barrel, bought a KAC QDC MAMS for it i didnt realize that i bought the wrong barrel threading on the KAC MAMS. The lmt Barrel threading is 5/8x24 and the brake is 3/4 x 24. I picked up a barrel thread adapter in order to make it fit and im wondering if this will have any negative effects on the rifle?

Sep 4, 2011
Purcell,Oklahoma
just picked up a sweet deal on a new 13.5 inch barrel the heavy one for 350 . i will be using the Socom RC 7.62 can on it . do you guys recommend going with the Warcomp or the 3 Prog for it .. also i currently use the 16 inch setup with a UBR i am thinking it might be better to go back to the Sopmod . i also have had issues with mine getting hung up with FTE/FTF i sent it back and i already had the Slash heavy buffer and spring in it . Gene said he polished the ramp and checked everything out and told me it was the softest shooting MWS he had ever shot . i don't do really long shooting so i wanted this set up for inside 400 ish yards or so .. should i keep my Slash heavy buffer and spring in the Sopmod with the 13.5 setup or swap it to something different.

Thanks Guys,
Jason

Mar 10, 2013
I never found the Slash buffer to be worth a shit.
I would try it with the factory buffer and spring first and see how it runs.
I’m running the SOCOM RC on my MWS with a 16” barrel and the stock buffer and spring.
It runs 100%, smooth, pitches the brass at 3:00.

Definitely post a pic when you get it together. Sounds like a sweet setup.

J.Boney

Resident Sheepdog
May 10, 2006
NC - USA
I have been researching AR308 rifles for a while.. I have decided on the LMT LM8 with 18” SS barrel.. Can you guys make a suggestion of a dealer that offers the best price and service? I love supporting my local gun shop but they don’t have LMT.. It would actually be nice to see one in person first.. I’m in Central NC..

The DFC

New Hide Member
Apr 14, 2018
MN
I have been researching AR308 rifles for a while.. I have decided on the LMT LM8 with 18” SS barrel.. Can you guys make a suggestion of a dealer that offers the best price and service? I love supporting my local gun shop but they don’t have LMT.. It would actually be nice to see one in person first.. I’m in Central NC..

A few things I can help with

-Just talked with LMT last week and they said basically (if I understood him correctly) that any gun shop can order from them. Prices will be on LMT's website.

-The only place I've seen them for less than their website and had them in stock was Brownells. I picked up my Sharpshooter from them for a few hundy less than MSRP price. They also have complete lowers for $899-not the MARS one keep in mind but the older one that doesn't have the bolt catch/release on right side and bigger trigger area.

-Can't help with local shops where you can handle one other than that LMT's website has a search feature by zipcode. Funny when I entered my zip I had never heard of any of the shops but YMMV.

-I don't see any of their complete rifles with an 18" ss barrel but again I didn't exhaustively search.

-Keep an eye on their 12 days of Christmas deals on the main page of their website. In particular that last few days they are offering 2 .308 barrels and a slick MWS upper for huge discounts. Might be able to build your own with upper and a barrel-then pick up a lower either complete or build your own. Throw in a BCG-charging handle-sights, and you're good to go

J.Boney

Resident Sheepdog
May 10, 2006
NC - USA
A few things I can help with

-Just talked with LMT last week and they said basically (if I understood him correctly) that any gun shop can order from them. Prices will be on LMT's website.

-The only place I've seen them for less than their website and had them in stock was Brownells. I picked up my Sharpshooter from them for a few hundy less than MSRP price. They also have complete lowers for $899-not the MARS one keep in mind but the older one that doesn't have the bolt catch/release on right side and bigger trigger area.

-Can't help with local shops where you can handle one other than that LMT's website has a search feature by zipcode. Funny when I entered my zip I had never heard of any of the shops but YMMV.

-I don't see any of their complete rifles with an 18" ss barrel but again I didn't exhaustively search.

-Keep an eye on their 12 days of Christmas deals on the main page of their website. In particular that last few days they are offering 2 .308 barrels and a slick MWS upper for huge discounts. Might be able to build your own with upper and a barrel-then pick up a lower either complete or build your own. Throw in a BCG-charging handle-sights, and you're good to go
Much appreciated for you typing that dude.. I’ll take a look at their 12 days of Christmas..

Feb 13, 2017
Montanny
I can't read the entire thread, but does somebody recall if there is any factory ammo known to shoot especially well in the 6.5 24" version? I've broken the gun inwith Prime, and it shoots an inch or so, perhaps slightly better, which is fine for me with this gun, but are there any really great known matches? I don't feel like messing with semi auto brass dings, so I'd like not to load for it myself.

I can't read the entire thread, but does somebody recall if there is any factory ammo known to shoot especially well in the 6.5 24" version? I've broken the gun inwith Prime, and it shoots an inch or so, perhaps slightly better, which is fine for me with this gun, but are there any really great known matches? I don't feel like messing with semi auto brass dings, so I'd like not to load for it myself.
I don’t think many of us have the 24” Creedmoor barrel yet. I’m shooting under an inch with Hornady American Gunner 140gr. It’s all I’ve run through it but if you go back a page or two I’ve posted some groups. For the cost vs performance of this ammo I’m not sure it’s worth going down the rabbit hole for tighter groups.

The DFC

New Hide Member
Apr 14, 2018
MN

Currently in the process myself. May be a while before I can get good ammo with shelling out black Friday cash etc etc etc so my routine of buying ~$100-200 worth of ammo every month is a little out of kilter. I'm a caliber minimalist as well so plenty of 556/308 of all quality levels and this is my first 6.5cm.

All I have right now is S&B 140gr FMJ BT which is decent range ammo-getting 1.5 MOA @100yds. About 2.5MOA @200yds, all 10 shots on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper @300yds and bad holdover information on 400yds so not on paper.

I have all of these targets but no pics. I'm just an average at best shooter. Off of a bench with rear bag.

I need to get some match ammo as I don't reload and the LMT beats 7 shades of dog shiate out of the brass. Will post when I have more info.

I need to get some match ammo as I don't reload and the LMT beats 7 shades of dog shiate out of the brass. Will post when I have more info.
I found the 24" Creedmoor barrel does not work the brass over near as much as the 16" 308 Barrel did. I'm running the factory spring, and an MGI Rate Reducing buffer in mine. The H3 wasn't heavy enough with the 16" 308 and I didn't change in when I installed the 24" Creedmoor barrel. The thing still throws brass but it's not being abused like it was with the 16" CL 308.

The DFC

New Hide Member
Apr 14, 2018
MN
I found the 24" Creedmoor barrel does not work the brass over near as much as the 16" 308 Barrel did. I'm running the factory spring, and an MGI Rate Reducing buffer in mine. The H3 wasn't heavy enough with the 16" 308 and I didn't change in when I installed the 24" Creedmoor barrel. The thing still throws brass but it's not being abused like it was with the 16" CL 308.

Pretty much my observation too with 100% stock H3 buffer etc. Using the 16" 308 barrel it throws brass a mile in a nice pile lol.

Feb 27, 2017
Anyone looking for a MWS, Clyde Armory in Athens Ga has 5 of them. All MLok uppers. 2 (1black 1 fde) 16” cl, 2 (1black 1 fde) 18” ss, and a black 6.5creedmore with the 24” barrel. That isn’t too far from NC. IIRC, the prices are in the $32-3400 range.