LMT .308 MWS

RobertTheTexan

New Hide Member
Feb 15, 2018
Texas
Anyone have a range report, or word from the Brit's deployed with them?
I have a 16" that was cut down from 20". Not sure what specific setup you're looking for, but I can speak to my setup. Granted it's not "pure", with a non-LMT lower, but the part that achieves accuracy is all LMT. I an try to find some pics of range reports. My 16" is a solid MOA shooter. It's not as accurate as my 18" precision build though.

What I really need to do is start reading post dates. Holy late to the dance batman.... I just realized I responded to a 2010 post. lol DOH!!!!

Last edited:

RobertTheTexan

New Hide Member
Feb 15, 2018
Texas
Re: LMT .308 MWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked mine and threw on all my gear. Will get some pictures up shortly.... Its a impressive piece of kit. The fitment is great, very tight. The overall machining is top notch but I have come to expect that from LMT. I will need some 10 round mags though. I can already tell when going prone this long mag will get annoying hitting the ground.

Standy by for pics. </div></div>

I make a 15rd LR20 that is shorter than the grip. Ask Market Garden about his experience with it as he was one of the testers of the prototype and used his in competitions. </div></div>

That would be great. Can you make them into 10 round mags or is that wishful thinking? I would be down to get a few of those 15 rounders for sure. They seem to be the ticket!

Thanks for the pics Market Garden </div></div>

The 10rd in the chopped down config is a little trickier. If I put a block inside the spring, it's short enough that it will bind up with the spring. If I make a mold that's the exact shape of the inside of the mag, it further compresses the spring to the point where an already-stiff spring may provide enough compression to cause problems with feeding. The other method would be attaching something to the follower but due to the design of the follower, that's pretty tough and less than robust.
Mind shooting me a PM with the details? I could use a few for when I'm doing some prone shooting.

Mar 26, 2005
Honolulu,HI
I have a 16" that was cut down from 20". Not sure what specific setup you're looking for, but I can speak to my setup. Granted it's not "pure", with a non-LMT lower, but the part that achieves accuracy is all LMT. I an try to find some pics of range reports. My 16" is a solid MOA shooter. It's not as accurate as my 18" precision build though.

What I really need to do is start reading post dates. Holy late to the dance batman.... I just realized I responded to a 2010 post. lol DOH!!!!
Nice Setup,
Are you running a Mega Maten Ambi lower?
I believe that is the only lower compatible besides the KAC.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018
Texas
Nice Setup,
Are you running a Mega Maten Ambi lower?
I believe that is the only lower compatible besides the KAC.
Yes, it is the MATEN ambi lower. The KAC lower also works. From the looks the LaRue Tactical OBR lower "might" work. I've read folks say it doesn't, but honestly, I read a lot of what turned out to be "internet lore" where guy were saying the Mega MATEN would not work. My rear takedown pin is a pure bitch to get in though, but it goes in, and there's no issue or damage there. I'll tell you that from a "will it shoot" perspective, my Aero Precision lower worked with the LMT upper. Yep, there was a gap. No I would not run that in any normal circumstance I can think of. What made me try it was thinking about all those worthless uppers and lowers that have had all the structural metal cut out. Skeletonized I think they call it. The BCG actioned without a single issue, so for the sake of science, I tried it. And it worked. Shot as well as anything, but again, not anything I would run normally sit.
Here's a pic of it. (again this was just done in the name of "will it work" redneck science. :) Oddly enough, the rear takedown pin and pivot pin both went in smooth as butter.

Mar 26, 2005
Honolulu,HI
Yes, it is the MATEN ambi lower. The KAC lower also works. From the looks the LaRue Tactical OBR lower "might" work. I've read folks say it doesn't, but honestly, I read a lot of what turned out to be "internet lore" where guy were saying the Mega MATEN would not work. My rear takedown pin is a pure bitch to get in though, but it goes in, and there's no issue or damage there. I'll tell you that from a "will it shoot" perspective, my Aero Precision lower worked with the LMT upper. Yep, there was a gap. No I would not run that in any normal circumstance I can think of. What made me try it was thinking about all those worthless uppers and lowers that have had all the structural metal cut out. Skeletonized I think they call it. The BCG actioned without a single issue, so for the sake of science, I tried it. And it worked. Shot as well as anything, but again, not anything I would run normally sit.
Here's a pic of it. (again this was just done in the name of "will it work" redneck science. :) Oddly enough, the rear takedown pin and pivot pin both went in smooth as butter.
LOl,I know why your rear takedown pin was a bitch to get in and out.i had the same problem with my MWS upper and my KAC lower.

Mar 26, 2005
Honolulu,HI
Did you just deal with it or is there a secret sauce fix? :)
Not a secret sauce,..the LMT MWS uppers differ a little from alot of other uppers where the upper and lower surfaces meet,the uppers have 2 very small tiny boss like squares miiled into the upper receiver right behind the front pivot that i had to slowly and carefully filed down to take away the tension off the rear take down pin.i used a very small fine file on mine and filed a little at a time till the upper and lower came together even and still had a little bit of tension on the rear take down pin.after that the upper and lower were still a tight fit ...check your upper and see if it has the small bosses.

Top Bottom