Live in CA, but moving to Fayetteville, NC in a few months!

OwO

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
nice to meet everyone. all I have is a 22lr rifle atm, waiting to get other stuff once I move out of state for work. never even been to fayetteville, nc but any advice is appreciated as well.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
1) Do not live in Fayetteville proper if you can help it, as well as Hope Mills and Spring Lake - basically all of Cumberland County sucks. Parts of Raeford aren't too hot, either, but it gets better as you get away from Raeford itself. If you can deal with the commute and higher costs, Moore County is the best bet.
2) Get your concealed carry permit ASAP.
3) Buy a good quality handgun, pronto. (Having the CCW gets you out of NC's antiquated pistol purchase permitting process, hence carry permit first).
4) Take a quality defensive pistol class. You have a lot of options in that area, thankfully (and some shitty ones - do yuor research).
5) Carry everywhere you are legally able to do so, and carry spare magazines. If you live in Cumberland County and much of Hoke County, this includes in your home.

I wish I was kidding. I left Fayetteville a decade ago, and met my now wife shortly after. She didn't understand why I carried a gun everywhere until her first trip to NC to meet my family. A couple days around Fayetteville made her into an instant convert. Home invasions aren't uncommon, carjackings (even in broad daylight) aren't unusual, and it seems like there's always a minimum of one serial rapist running around at any given time. I have genuinely lost track of how many people I know that have been the victim of a crime in that town, or barely avoided it by being armed or lucky - myself included.

Expect traffic (especially if you're working on base), relatively high crime, and lots of stupidity.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9 and Zeroit

OwO

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
1) Do not live in Fayetteville proper if you can help it, as well as Hope Mills and Spring Lake - basically all of Cumberland County sucks. Parts of Raeford aren't too hot, either, but it gets better as you get away from Raeford itself. If you can deal with the commute and higher costs, Moore County is the best bet.
2) Get your concealed carry permit ASAP.
3) Buy a good quality handgun, pronto. (Having the CCW gets you out of NC's antiquated pistol purchase permitting process, hence carry permit first).
4) Take a quality defensive pistol class. You have a lot of options in that area, thankfully (and some shitty ones - do yuor research).
5) Carry everywhere you are legally able to do so, and carry spare magazines. If you live in Cumberland County and much of Hoke County, this includes in your home.

I wish I was kidding. I left Fayetteville a decade ago, and met my now wife shortly after. She didn't understand why I carried a gun everywhere until her first trip to NC to meet my family. A couple days around Fayetteville made her into an instant convert. Home invasions aren't uncommon, carjackings (even in broad daylight) aren't unusual, and it seems like there's always a minimum of one serial rapist running around at any given time. I have genuinely lost track of how many people I know that have been the victim of a crime in that town, or barely avoided it by being armed or lucky - myself included.

Expect traffic (especially if you're working on base), relatively high crime, and lots of stupidity.
Damn guys, you scared him off.
haha no im still here, too busy losing at Apex Legends.

is it really that bad? fuck. i heard the stories, but i was hoping it got better. ill look for housing outside of fayetteville i guess. only downside is that ill be doing shift work at cape fear valley so hopefully the commute wont be too bad.

i waaas going to get a cz shadow 2 after moving out of CA, but i guess itll be a glock ccw instead.

edit: i cant do moore county, its too far. a 50min one way drive to work is too much.

Last edited:

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Fayetteville, North Carolina -- where fat women can be choosy.
Or act like you should be thrilled they asked for your number. Uh, no....

haha no im still here, too busy losing at Apex Legends.

is it really that bad? fuck. i heard the stories, but i was hoping it got better. ill look for housing outside of fayetteville i guess. only downside is that ill be doing shift work at cape fear valley so hopefully the commute wont be too bad.

i waaas going to get a cz shadow 2 after moving out of CA, but i guess itll be a glock ccw instead.

edit: i cant do moore county, its too far. a 50min one way drive to work is too much.
Ouch. CFV gets most of the trauma cases in the area, and it's not exactly known for being peaceful and quiet, especially on night shift. I used to know one of the cops that worked there, and it gets rough.

I'll be honest, I think it's actually gotten worse the last 10 years since I left. The population has gone up dramatically due to all of the units that got moved into Bragg, and the crime and stupidity has gone up with it.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I met a former fayetteville cop that got early retirement, and I quote "because I had to use my firearm so many times"........its a real nice town lol.
Every Fayetteville cop I have gotten to know over the years has had at least a couple of OIS incidents. One of them had to put 5 rounds in a guy that locked him up in a choke after a traffic stop gone sideways.

Last I heard, FPD's standard procedure after dark is solo cars will wait for backup before approaching during a traffic stop.

BLKWLFK9

come at me bro
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
greenville, NC
Yea, it's a real shit hole. It's not s direct reflection of NC as a whole, but it is definitely a dismal shitty place. Make a long commute if u can.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm