Lilja versus bartlein barrels

wspe1

Private
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2008
Idaho
Does anyone have any opinions on Lilja barrels and how they compare to bartlein barrels? Or is there no real significant difference? Thanks

Supersubes

Snafu
Belligerents
Sep 6, 2006
Rural Nevada
My Lilja’s have always been very nice. I prefer cut rifling in general though. I’m not sure Lilja is available at some of the barrel vendors like bugholes. Too easy these days to point/click for a Bartlein or Krieger etc.

ken4570tc in WY

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2018
Wheatland, Wyoming
I find the best source for information about barrel manufacturers to be the recent competition results. These shooters frequently replace barrels. As manufacturers replace tooling, improve processes or materials, the trophy for 'top dog' changes hands every few years. That being said, a great barrel won't be a good shooter unless it is chambered well and threaded accurately. Do your research and shopping wisely.

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
Pretty hard to get a 'bad' custom barrel these days

Every once in a while every brand will have one slip through. But half of those are probably the smith anyways

phantomskittles

Private
Belligerents
Jan 19, 2011
Ohio
I've owned both. They both shoot great. I have a Bartlein on now but if I found a good deal on a Lilja I wouldn't hesitate to get one again for my next build. Like b6graham said it is hard to get a bad custom these days.

Triple BB

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
When I purchased my Bartlein barrel, my Smith said to look at which barrel manufacturer was winning most of the long range competitions.

No regrets, they make great barrels...

ZiaHunter

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2012
Southern NM
Go to any National F Class match and the predominant barrels are cut rifled barrels such as Bartlein, Brux or Krieger. Shot them all in different rifle configurations and have all shot well. Have several Schneider barrels which are button rifled like Lilga and have been shooters as well. As mentioned above how accurately the barrel is chambered is a critical factor how a rifle performs.

LongRifles Inc.

Lance Criminal
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Mar 14, 2010
Sturgis, S. Dakota
www.longriflesinc.com
I used to install a metric shit ton of Lilja barrels. At Nesika we used them almost exclusively.

Performance was never an issue. Having to continuously explain myself was however. OD to ID concentricity was a problem. When you dial a bore and have upwards of a 16th worth of run out you can bet that your going to get a phone call. Fitting a brake to that is a real problem when it's from Vaise. Call for help and you get crickets. . .

In today's world there is no reason to settle for that. It's a buyers paradise.

Any marquee brand will produce the required accuracy. It's the details like what I've just described that make the difference. This is where a shooter needs to lean on his shop of choice for advise because they typically install a whole lot more of these than end users.

rth1800

Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
I have had Several dozen barrels of many top makes fitted by top smiths. In that time I have had two that shot substandard. The only two Lilja’s I tried.

I received poor CS on both.

Might have been bad luck.

Last edited:

BLKWLFK9

Just F'n Send It..
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Not a fan of their CS like @rth1800 said. Had an issue with my barrel. told me to change my load to a dumb slow charge weight and jump it .130"

Ive never had a barrel that required that. It was obvious he didnt want to do anything to help.

Not to mention, its approximately 100fps slower than most other barrels with the same bullet/charge weight.

Reactions: .30kal

Frank Green

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
When we we’re starting Bartlein Tracy and I we’re offered a job at a button barrel maker. I politely and respectfully declined the offer. I was asked why by the owner. I said we know the short comings of button barrels and I couldn’t work at a place where I didn’t believe in the product/think that we we’re making the best.

All of the top short range BR shooters, top F class shooters and even the majority of the PRS shooters are shooting cut rifled barrels.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Shooter71

Private
Belligerents
Aug 25, 2013
Speaking of Lilja...OD, ID relationship is often WAY off. Bores are not nearly as straight, often with two different curve directions rather than the usual single gentle curve. Contouring is inconsistent, often with a low spot ahead of the taper. Like Chad said, they can cause phone calls. Doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t shoot well. Something else I noticed, and it might be my imagination, but the bandsaw falls through them easier than other barrels.
Bartlein barrels are exceptional. Always.

Reactions: rth1800

LongRifles Inc.

Lance Criminal
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Mar 14, 2010
Sturgis, S. Dakota
www.longriflesinc.com
Since this has morphed into a barrel plug campaign, I'll throw my two bits in it: Kenny Johnson of K&P barrels located in Rapid City, SD.

Ken is my "go-to" guy. The relationship started around 5 years ago and we've been thick as thieves ever since. K&P barrels are single-point cut rifled. I like that process much better from a machining standpoint because the steel is harder. Crunchy stainless just makes a better chip.

Accuracy is on par with any other marquee brand. What really sold me is the customer service. I buy a lot of product. On the rare (very rare) occasion that there has been an issue, he's 20 minutes from my door. When I approach him with an issue he literally looks at me, shrugs his shoulders, says "well that sucks", takes the old stick from me, and within 24 hours I have a new one.

Yes, within 24 hours I have a new one. Now, I do buy a lot from him so there is some favoritism I'm sure, however, the mere fact that he takes my word at face value and doesn't sit there and piss and moan over it goes a long, long, long way.

For the record this has happened 6 times in the 5+ years we've been doing business.

-Just another name to throw in the hat.

Last edited:

EternusVigilantia

Sniper Curious
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Lost
Does anyone have any opinions on Lilja barrels and how they compare to bartlein barrels? Or is there no real significant difference? Thanks
I have a bartlien the are excellent. Liljas are also excellent. However my best shooting rifle is a Remington with a Mike Rock 18” m40 taper, 5R stainless 30 cal. I would also consider them as well.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 27, 2003
Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
I'll preface my choices with the caveat that I currently prefer .236 instead of .237 in the bore of 6mm and normally 4-groove over 5R.
Kreiger
Brux
Bartlein
Hawk HIll
Hart
No, Lilja isn't on the list.
Krieger is first because they are the most prolific 4-groove with my vendors. If no one has what I want in Krieger then I will go Brux. That said, I've owned some fantastic shooting Bartlein 5R barrels and I would buy more Bartlein if my vendors had more choices in 4-groove.
I have one chambered HH barrel right now and it shoots very well. I also have a 6mm blank that is waiting for a project (unknown as of yet). For a while, a few years back, I shot only Hart barrels in short-range and long-range BR and had some very good results.

.30kal

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 24, 2011
San Jose, CA
I have had Several dozen barrels of many top makes fitted by top smiths. In that time I have had two that shot substandard. The only two Lilja’s I tried.

I received poor CS on both.

Might have been bad luck.
Not sure it was bad luck. I had a terrible experience with a 6.5 Grendel Barrel from Lilja. The gas port had a burr protruding in the bore and there was surface rust in the extension and on the outside of the barrel. The owner gave me a really hard time, claiming this was "normal" from storage and that the burr would go away after shooting (I couldn't get it with a bore brush). After an extended email exchange he finally agreed to take it back and refund my money. I'd never buy another barrel from Lilja based on that experience. Way to many other good barrel makers out there. I have had nothing but good experiences with the Bartleins and Proofs I've used.