Leupold Mark 5 or Vortex Razor Gen ii

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
Razors are made in Japan but then they rip the mechanical guts out and replace it with their own stuff so the manufacturer can’t steal that design for themselves is what I’ve seen reported.

I think lowlight had a video that touched on that fact
Yeah, that’s what I remember as well, I was just being lazy and didn’t want to type it all out on my phone. 😎

forrestgump01

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2013
chattahooche hills, ga
I am a Vortex guy so....I'll say Vortex.
I don't think Leupold is at that NightForce and Vortex level yet.
I own multiple scopes from Leopold , Nightforce , Vortex. I prefer the vortex , but thats just my personal taste. I think that vortex has customer service that's hard to beat.

You make a very bold statement considering that leupold was cranking out quality scopes 50 yrs before vortex and nightforce ever dreamed of even making a scope . Leopold was a go to scope for long range shooters LONG before nightforce or vortex ever came around. I wonder how many millions of leupold scopes were already in circulation when nightforce drew up the blueprints for there first scope?

I would like to see a comparison between manufacturers showing a failure rate per units made, sort of a per capita comparrison. in other words , for every 1000 scopes made , how many had problems and / or needed warranty work.
I would be willing to bet leupold would win that hands down.

Reactions: Blackfoot 7

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
Frank posted a factory tour video a few years back, before the AMG was slated to come out. It showed how the scopes (Gen II Razors) were assembled (well parts of it; it is a proprietary process).

JLP.Payette

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
I've handled both and I think the glass is a wash, I prefer the available reticles, weight, turrets, and turret locking mechanism of the Razor. I prefer the Razor

cheyennewyo

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
CHEYENNE, WY
Just to add fuel to the fire, Midway is running a good sale on the MK5 and you get a free Kestrel 4DOF with the scope. Not a bad deal since most of us would use the Kestrel or be able to offload it pretty easily for a few hundred bucks.