Letting people know about a range...

joelinux

hed weezul
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
So, I have recently been made aware that the range I frequent is somewhat...unused.

Is is the Central Coast Long Range Shooters out of San Luis Obispo, CA.

It is a gorgeous, well maintained range, with targets out to 1400 yards, and plans to expand out to 1800, maintained steel, hit indicators, on BLM land, so the entry fees are cheap, etc. etc. etc.

There are a few die-hards there, but by and large, there aren't a lot of participants. I think this is because they don't really have a feel for how to advertise that they exist.

My take of it is that it's a lot of people who are wicked good on a rifle, but just love to shoot. They don't really have a sense of how to expand their user base.

Whenever I tell people about the range, they are completely unaware that such a range exists within driving distance. I think they have a seriously good product, but are lacking in how to make people aware of it.

So, my question to you all is: What do you think would be the best way to let people know about this range?
Contact local gun shops and shooting clubs? See about having competitions hosted there? Ask the NRA to host stuff there? etc.

I'm curious to know what tends to work, and what is a waste of time, in people's experience.

M8541Reaper

Super Boot
Belligerents
It is. How do I let people know about it without being annoying?
By just creating this thread, you’re helping get the word out. I’m jealous that you have access to such a nice range. Best way to go about it, is to mention it in passing rather than going on a marketing campaign. Next time you’re at a local shop, just mention it like “hey have ya heard of this place?” Instead of going in with the intent of advertising, which can seem forced or awkward.

All that being said, my inner “I hate public ranges let alone crowded public ranges” voice is mad at you for telling others about such a hidden gem because you have an opportunity for a low risk and peaceful place to shoot. ...which is the opposite of every public range I’ve been to.

joelinux

hed weezul
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
By just creating this thread, you’re helping get the word out. I’m jealous that you have access to such a nice range. Best way to go about it, is to mention it in passing rather than going on a marketing campaign.

All that being said, my inner “I hate public ranges let alone crowded public ranges” voice is mad at you for telling others about such a hidden gem because you have an opportunity for a low risk and peaceful place to shoot. ...which is the opposite of every public range I’ve been to.
It's volunteer based, and they have had to shut down to one day a week due to lack of people.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
This

Loose lips sink ships

1500varmint

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2018
It's volunteer based, and they have had to shut down to one day a week due to lack of people.
If the range is only open one day a week then it's already dead.

If it keeps going they should engage every law enforcement organization within a 50 mile radius and let them know they'll arrange special LEO days where departments can use the range for a discount.

Plaster info with every shooting club in the area, blitz Internet shoting forums, Facebook pages, etc, etc.