Laser range finder decision help

cro789

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
tn
I am looking to replace an old range finder. The old one was a Bushnell like the old golf one. Only good out to 400 yards at best. Parameters will be out to 1000 to 1200 yards and like it with a ballistic program. Now the program is not a must but would be nice. Also I don’t have unlimited funds.

Thanks

cro789

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
tn
Animals and reflective mostly buildings to make range cards.

Kraze

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2017
N. Idaho
Are you dead set on it having a true ballistic program? And can you narrow down what not having unlimited funds amounts to?

You can get a Leica 2000b for around $400. That will range 1000 to 1200 no problem, but I wouldn't really consider it to have a true ballistic program.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Animals and reflective mostly buildings to make range cards.
I've got the Bushnell ConX. I haven't used it on animals, but it starts to get a little difficult to range steel after 1k yards. Reflective isn't an issue, though, so with a little planning you could still make it work. The benefit of it is the Kestrel integration for realtime ballistic data in the display of the LRF when paired to a Kestrel with ballistics functions. GAP has the combo (Kestrel Sportsman and ConX LRF) for under $600 right now. If you don't have a Kestrel, you're basically buying a Sportsaman and getting the LRF for $30 or so. If you do have one (and the Sportsman isn't an upgrade) you could probably sell the Sportsman and get most of your money back, making the ConX super cheap.

Reactions: Kraze

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
Rhode Island
The Bushnell ConX serves me well.

Cheap but most excellent, especially if used off a tripod or other stable mount. I have no problems with 12" steel out to 1,000 yards even in bright sunlight. Anything that i have seen that is better, is a lot more money. As much as I would like a Terrapin X, I can't justify its cost as I seldom ever get to shoot beyond 1,000 yards

Reactions: cro789

Alpine 338

Lumberjack
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2010
NW Colorado
I don't have any experience with it, but that new Nikon Black RangeX 4K is supposedly a good value for the money. Retail is $449

Kraze

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2017
N. Idaho
Well if the $600 Conx combo doesn't blow the budget, I'd go with that. If that's too much, my next suggestion is the Leica 2000b, but you'll lose the ballistic program capability (technically it has some ballistic capabilities, but it's all predetermined drops so it's not a true ballistic program). If $400 is still too much, we start getting in to rangefinders that may or may not consistently range animals at 1200 yards. At that point, an actual number for your budget would be helpful.

cro789

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
tn
Around 500. I want one that I can keep for awhile and not have to worry about it.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Yes the 2700
Then you'd be getting a LRF and a 5-series Kestrel with AB software on it out of the deal, not just the LRF. You can also upgrade the Sportsman to the AB Elite software down the road for $200, which is exactly what I did on mine. At that point, the only difference in the Sportsman + Upgrade vs the AB Elite is the label under the screen.

Sell your 2700 to a new shooter for $100 or so, and you've gotten both for within your budget. Seems like a win-win to me.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
Rhode Island
I would have to agree. I purchased my Kestrel and ConX separately but still got a smoking deal. I think the two of them together are a great combination. Not sure about what this GAP deal is but I paid $345 for my ConX (new) and $365 for my Sportsman (used). I later updated the Kestrel to Elite level for $190 for a total cost of $555. My total cost for everything was $900 after the upgrade...you can't beat that with a stick.

You won't be disappointed

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I would have to agree. I purchased my Kestrel and ConX separately but still got a smoking deal. I think the two of them together are a great combination. Not sure about what this GAP deal is but I paid $345 for my ConX (new) and $365 for my Sportsman (used). I later updated the Kestrel to Elite level for $190 for a total cost of $555. My total cost for everything was $900 after the upgrade...you can't beat that with a stick.

You won't be disappointed
At the GAP price for the combo, the Kestrel alone is worth the cash. Getting the LRF for damn near free is just icing on the cake.

WNC Seabee

Private
Belligerents
Jan 4, 2014
Western NC
[QUOTE="Hollywood 6mm, post: 7437260, member: 94449" GAP has the combo (Kestrel Sportsman and ConX LRF) for under $600 right now. [/QUOTE]

Do you have a link for this? I'm not finding the combo

WNC Seabee

Private
Belligerents
Jan 4, 2014
Western NC
ahhh. must be why I couldn't find it. Their site probably masks out of stock stuff.
Darn, I wasn't in the market until you mentioned that combo.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
ahhh. must be why I couldn't find it. Their site probably masks out of stock stuff.
Darn, I wasn't in the market until you mentioned that combo.
Give them a call. Someone commented on the GAP post a couple nights ago to ask if they were still available, and George said they had plenty. They may just not have updated the website with stock levels or something. Either way, please report back on if they are still in stock.

cro789

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
tn
If I wasn't going with the ballistic computer what will be a good unit?

bbyars

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2018
i bought the conx combo and have been pretty pleased with minimal complaints. Bought a vortex 1800 and its ok but i prefer the conx.

bbyars

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2018
What’s the complaints
I feel like it will not actually read that far unless you have something huge to laser like a barn. The max I’ve been able to range is 1511yds off of a tin roof. It’s kinda too huge to manipulate with one hand. The case it comes with is awesome for protection but kinda sucks ass for accessibility. But i like it enough to keep it around. If I could do it over again I’d probably just buy a Leica or as much as I pains me to say sig RF and a kestrel separate.

Hogstooth

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 12, 2004
Virginia
www.vaportrailtactical.net
Leica, I have used mine for the last 12 years and during my combat deployment, it is beat to hell and still ranges well. I have gotten to play with the new ones and they range perfectly to max distance every time. I have really been impressed how they have continually improved their product, and the glass is awesome for an LRF can't beat the $400 price either.

The only other one I would recommend is the Terrapin X, just stupid accurate and easy, if you have the money for it, but I would rank the Leica just below it.

Wormydog1724

Working on my TyperSnyper PHD
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2013
Is the Bushnell Conx AND the Kestrel both able to connect to an iPhone through the Kesrel LiNK app at the same time?

I'd like to have the Kestrel mounted on a tripod feeding the environment/wind and ballistic data to the iPhone/LiNK app while also having the rangefinder feed the range/angle to the iPhone/LiNK app.. so the iPhone/LiNK app just displays the solution for wind/elevation.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Is the Bushnell Conx AND the Kestrel both able to connect to an iPhone through the Kesrel LiNK app at the same time?

I'd like to have the Kestrel mounted on a tripod feeding the environment/wind and ballistic data to the iPhone/LiNK app while also having the rangefinder feed the range/angle to the iPhone/LiNK app.. so the iPhone/LiNK app just displays the solution for wind/elevation.
I'm almost positive that the Kestrel can only talk to one device at a time, and the ConX doesn't talk to the Link app as far as I know.