Kind of Dreading This Ice Storm

CavScout85

Online Training Member
Jan 22, 2018
WNC
Yeah I dislike ice much more than snow. These southern trees don't do to well when they get about 1/4" inch of ice on them, start falling over and breaking off, then the power goes out for a week. Looks like I'm somewhere in the 1/4 - 1/2" range. Guess we'll see in the AM.

Jul 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's looking more and more like this will be a major ice storm here in VA.
Mrs. 301 works for the power company. :cry:

View attachment 7002924
I’m in St. Louis. We got 10 inches of snow last night and we’ll get 3 more tonight.

Had an ice storm here 9 years ago that dropped 12 tons of oak tree on our house. Fortunately our house was 50 years old and built to last . We were out five months rebuilding. Inspectors said that if it had been one of the McMansions on the street it would have been splinters.

ArmyJerry

Staff Sergeant
Nov 22, 2012
I spent 5 minutes writing a nice scenario that was Hollywood worthy but its Saturday and the government is partially shut down, I figured Id be nice and leave out the volcanoes erupting from the Ice pressure on the earths mantle and doing a Pompeii on everyone between the ice sheet and the mantle. I'll be nice

Let us all pray for our own wishes.

Saw that one coming!

Dirty D

Poo flinging monkey
Mar 29, 2010
Uranus
...What we do have is a circuit that can be fed from two directions, underground to the house, and two key high ranking employees on the line. 😉
We used to live across the street from a single mom whose daughter was on a life support machine in the house and she was on a list of similar families down at the power company, during the big ice storm of 2008 we got power back before the police station did.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 25, 2017
That came through here (Miami river valley, Ohio) yesterday.

Started snowing just past midnight on Friday and didn't stop until a couple hours ago. I got somewhere between 6 and 8 inches.

Nothing to it.

Feb 27, 2014
That came through here (Miami river valley, Ohio) yesterday.

Started snowing just past midnight on Friday and didn't stop until a couple hours ago. I got somewhere between 6 and 8 inches.
Just north of you. Pretty much the same. 6-8, no problem

Although serious ice like Tucker may have sucks. That shit eats power lines for fun.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 25, 2017
Just north of you. Pretty much the same. 6-8, no problem

Although serious ice like Tucker may have sucks. That shit eats power lines for fun.
Yeah we've had some good ice storms here haven't we?

We've been really lucky this winter. Normally I put on winter tires on my car around mid December. This winter I've been driving on my summer tires (I HATE all season tires, they do nothing well) up until yesterday morning.

Winter tires transform a car. The people who tell me their all season work just as well simply don't know what they don't know.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 25, 2017
Looking at Weather Underground, here in western OH we're forecast to get 1 - 3 inches next Friday and 8 - 12 next Saturday.

Can't fucking wait...............

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
We have had an odd winter here in Puget sound. So far, only 2-3 nights where temperatures even got close to freezing...barely even any frost on the grass. No snow at all, and little rain. I'm still not totally convinced about global warming because my feet are cold, even though I am wearing really heavy hand knit wool socks.