ITAR Upcoming Changes

THEIS

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 27, 2017
Hi,
Well it looks like the Department of State is finally going to be specific in regards to what constitutes a "manufacturer" in terms of ITAR products and the essential ITAR registration.
The attachment is the new proposed definition of "Manufacturer". (Please note this has not gone into effect yet) But is what the Defense Trade Advisory Group is submitting to DDTC for approval and implemention.

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/DTAG/documents/DTAG - Manufacturing white paper.pdf

Sincerely,
Theis

May 27, 2009
This doesn’t help most of us at all. Assembling an AR would be “gunsmithing”, but threading a muzzle or barrel tenon would be manufacturing. So, almost all gunsmiths will still need to pay the ITAR fee.

Jan 1, 2018
Perhaps this shows some possible clarification (from page 1 of the linked White Paper) . The bold text below is my emphasis

Tasking:

Considering the possibility of revisions of Cats I-III and removal of most commercial firearms and related activities from the ITAR, DDTC requests DTAG to review and provide feedback to accurately and effectively define “manufacturing” (and distinguish from other related activities like assembly, integration, installment, various services) for remaining defense articles and services.

May 27, 2009
Thanks, Steve.... I'd skipped right to the definition and not read the beginning. Doing a little poking around, I'd missed the news last fall that small arms are to be removed entirely from ITAR. That would be fantastic, and downright rational.

THEIS

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

Yes the DTAG has been reviewing on how to remove "most" commercial items from Cat I, Cat II and Cat III of the USML Sec 121.
The "issue" they are running into per the last meeting is exactly how and what items to list "commercial" so that those items transfer over to Department of Commerce ECCN control and away from US Department of State DDTC control.
What "exactly" constitutes commercial vs what "exactly" constitutes significant military equipment is the billion dollar question with none of the powers to be wanting to answer that one yet lolol.

I typically attend these DTAG meetings and will update in this section of the forum when I have updates :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:

THEIS

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

It STILL is a big joke but it is not going away completely!! Its funny that I just met with President of the AmCham (American Chamber of Commerce Abu Dhabi) about the F35 manufacturing facility that is coming to Abu Dhabi and all the licensing requirements that are having to be done for the supply chain companies coming from the USA side.

Whats even funnier is that it takes more time for me to get an export license for a single rifle going to Italy than it does for me to send shipping containers of weapons to Ukraine through FMS program lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

Top Bottom