Input on Athlon Cronus Tactical Spotter

Hogg0494

Old hunter
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
Upstate new york
In the market for a reticle spotter,idoes anyone have the 7-42 Cronus spotter,would love some input.seems like a great deal for $999 and a lifetime warranty.this would be used at paper @ 100/200 and steel out to 1200 +

krimet

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
I have one. Glass is awesome and I really like the reticle. Should be perfect for what you plan to do. You won’t be disappointed.

ugsly308

Private
Belligerents
Aug 4, 2007
We have used a couple of them, one mainly goes to the range match where we shoot steel out to a mile. If I can spot impacts in dirt or on steel you can call corrections. I like the athlon as it has a diaopter adjustment and I can get the reticle crisp to my eyes. My leupold gold ring with H32 reticle does not. The glass in the Leupold is better but the H32 reticle lines are bigger, the athlon is much thinner and I feel I can spot easier and call more precise corrections. The athlon has a much longer eye relief due to the fact its built more like a rifle scope. We have been very happy with the athlon spotters and would buy them again.

Casey

catalyst81

Private
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Utah
We have used a couple of them, one mainly goes to the range match where we shoot steel out to a mile. If I can spot impacts in dirt or on steel you can call corrections. I like the athlon as it has a diaopter adjustment and I can get the reticle crisp to my eyes. My leupold gold ring with H32 reticle does not. The glass in the Leupold is better but the H32 reticle lines are bigger, the athlon is much thinner and I feel I can spot easier and call more precise corrections. The athlon has a much longer eye relief due to the fact its built more like a rifle scope. We have been very happy with the athlon spotters and would buy them again.

Casey
Have you had any issues with it focusing? I was talking with cameraland and they stopped selling it because too many people were having issues with the diopter focusing correctly.

ugsly308

Private
Belligerents
Aug 4, 2007
I havent with the diaopter, the focus knob takes a lot more adjustment then my leupold though.

Casey

cast1

Private
Belligerents
Nov 23, 2011
Have you ever considered binos? The reason is that they make a set of Chronus 15x56 binos that are an incredible value and considerably cheaper than even the spotter you’re considering.

I bought a set after using Jim Gilliland’s Swaros at a Guardian match last year. I imagine Jim could have anything he pleased. It was way easier to see trace with the binos. The depth of field you get made calling corrections easier too. The Athlons aren’t Swaros, but they sure aren’t bad. Would buy again for certain.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug

dgheriani

Private
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
I have one and wrote a pretty in depth comparison of the Athlon to the Bushnell LMSS and the Minox MD60R. I ended up going with the Athlon but then my focus ring failed and it went in for warranty. I should have it back this week. Basically the only thing I didn't like about the scope was that it was made in China. Here's the thread where I compare them:

krimet

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
I have the 15x56 Cronus binos as well. One thing to keep in mind is that they are very large. They're great for spotting when you set them up on a tripod, but a little bulky if you want to carry them as your goto pack binos.