Inexpensive ballhead for workbench

samb300

Anarchy Outdoors, Accuracy Obsession
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Anyone have any good recommendations for an inexpensive ballhead for a workbench that can:
1) support a 20+ lb rifle
2) has an arca (RRS) spec dovetail that won't mar a chassis dovetail

Just looking for something to install on a workbench to mount my rifle to for cleaning, scope mounting, etc. I don't need a $20 knock off, but I don't want to spend RRS money for this application. It will mount to a SAC base plate along with the barrel vise, so I'll use the regular mounting screw underneath.

Thanks!

Sam

Drew890

RLTW
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2010
Las Vegas
Anyone have any good recommendations for an inexpensive ballhead for a workbench that can:
1) support a 20+ lb rifle
2) has an arca (RRS) spec dovetail that won't mar a chassis dovetail

Just looking for something to install on a workbench to mount my rifle to for cleaning, scope mounting, etc. I don't need a $20 knock off, but I don't want to spend RRS money for this application. It will mount to a SAC base plate along with the barrel vise, so I'll use the regular mounting screw underneath.

Thanks!

Sam
Define “inexpensive”. Is their a price point that you would like to remain under?

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
If you don't want to spring for an ARCA ballhead and want "inexpensive" the best I could come up with is something I haven't tried but it might work: woodblock in a bench vise with a KRG ARCA clamp mounted on it with wood screws. Don't know if there are any long enough that would fit the holes to provide enough stability but it checks the mark for inexpensive.
Afterthought: or if you happen to know a machinist have him drill you corresponding holes with threading into a square bar of metal and mount that in the vise with the ARCA clamp on top, but unless the guy's a buddy that would probably blow the inexpensive part.

Last edited:

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
I just realized I tried to make my point the hard way. I was looking at the box of parts for my next build and it hit me; all you need is the ARCA clamp, the heavy barricade stop, and a pair of plastic vise liners and a bench vise and you're in business. Look at the picture of the barricade stop on the clamp mounted on the rail. Just clamp the barricade stop and you've got the fixture you want. It's attached with three screws, hopefully enough to support your rig.

Attachments

Reactions: RS14

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I like this idea. I need to hurry up and build my new bench. In am planning on using 2 inline fabrication mounts 1 flush 1 elevated. I might look at getting an extra plate and drill and tap it for a ball head.

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
You could do a ball head to a pig saddle the you could clamp action or rifle.
Thought about that, but if you've got a pig saddle what would you need the ballhead for? Just clamp the rig in the saddle LOL.

goatboy

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2018
If you don't want to spring for an ARCA ballhead and want "inexpensive" the best I could come up with is something I haven't tried but it might work: woodblock in a bench vise with a KRG ARCA clamp mounted on it with wood screws. Don't know if there are any long enough that would fit the holes to provide enough stability but it checks the mark for inexpensive.
Afterthought: or if you happen to know a machinist have him drill you corresponding holes with threading into a square bar of metal and mount that in the vise with the ARCA clamp on top, but unless the guy's a buddy that would probably blow the inexpensive part.
This.

strikeeagle1

Private
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Not sure what the OP has in mind but I use both a delrin and aluminum insert into a cannibalized manfrotto center column. The columns are then secured either to bench with threaded inserts or small vise that itself can be secured to the bench. I also secure a Manfrotto ballhead directly to the bench 3/16" inserts with short segments of threaded rod. After establishing a base to secure to the bench, then any rifle mount adapter can be attached on top.....the simple permutations are numerous. Setting up the inserts near the edge of the bench surface maximizes the rotational firearm presentation opportunities. A few examples.IMG_5130.jpgIMG_4883 copy.jpgIMG_5134.jpgIMG_5138.jpgIMG_5148.jpgIMG_5151.jpgIMG_5155.jpgIMG_5129.jpg

strikeeagle1

Private
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Someone mentioned the Hog; this HogSaddle Mod8 bench mount setup provides stable 360 deg rotation just no angling options, but a ballhead-hog combination might obviate the expense of requiring specific adapters e.g. RRS / Arca . Direct bench mount requires only a small removable footprint of bench real estate which can be consumed pretty quickly with larger vise / parts / tools for the project and its up off the bench to limit any accidental firearm scarring from bench top litter.IMG_5157.jpgIMG_5160.jpgIMG_5163.jpgIMG_5165.jpg

Last edited:

carbonbased

1 MOA = 2 AAF
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
If you already have a good ball head on a tripod, it takes 15 secs to unscrew it and another 10 sec to screw it on a threaded thingamajig on your bench.

Reactions: C.R. Adams