How Much Recoil Does The AR-9 Have?

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
My 9 year old wants an AR-15. He loves shooting mine. It’s just a little too big for him to maneuver properly.

I have been wanting a 10.5” AR-9 pistol for awhile now. I thought it might be easier for my son and wife to plink with it instead of the AR-15. Wife could use it for home defense also.

I came across some articles saying that the AR-9 pistols actually have more recoil than a 223. Is this true? Any advice?
I just can’t imagine a 9mm having that much recoil. I shot a kel tec sub 2000 and it wasn’t bad at all.

striped1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2010
Howard Lake, MN
Some of the guys I shoot with that have small frame, younger kids have started them on the Kel-tec 9mm rifle. Takes Glock mags. Is quite a bit lighter than an AR version.

I have shot a Taccom3g one that is a pistol barrel with an aluminum shroud on it. It is under a pound. That and a light stock makes for a very light / fast AR 9.

Reactions: Kwfranklin88

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
Looking to do the same for my boys, just not sure what barrel length would be best. Thanks for making this thread (y)
I’m not sure if this helps but I was researching that also. I wanted a short barrel but still enough performance to use as home defense if needed. I decided on the 10.5” barrel. The 8” would be my next choice. The longer barrels cause less velocity because the powder burns up and the barrel creates drag. The velocity chart I looked at showed the 8”-10” range best for a short barrel that still gives good velocity. It’s a few hundred FPS faster than a 9mm pistol with 5” barrel.

Reactions: --BLACKOUT--

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
It has 0 recoil in 16” pickup a complete rifle from PSA mine ran like a sewing machine they have 10.5 to

This looks like fun
I was thinking about trying that one in the 8” barrel.

HenryTheAce

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Michigan
CMMG Banshee with the 8” barrel is a great shooter. Delayed blowback system with a couple different weights to tune it. To me the recoil is very compatible with an SBR 5.56. I went with the 8” barrel since 5” seemed a little too short for my liking.

striped1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2010
Howard Lake, MN
I have run the 5" with the shroud an it has not problem knocking down steel.

It isn't a recoil issue with an AR 9, it is a weight and balance issue for small kids.

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
I have run the 5" with the shroud an it has not problem knocking down steel.

It isn't a recoil issue with an AR 9, it is a weight and balance issue for small kids.
Do you have any advice on fixing the weight and balance issues?

Csbarr

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
Blythewood, SC
Zero recoil, take the lightest 16" (ar15 regardless of caliber) you own, put it in his hands, and see where you stand with weight\length and build accordingly.

It won't be the recoil (I was shooting my dads m4 and beretta by 9 in the 90s, grsnted I was a BIG kid)..it will be the weight, and nose dive from length.

At the end of the day, start him like my dad did me, bench and pad first, and let him work into.

Supper jealous btw, my wife and I just now started down the road of starting a family in our 30s.

Just my two cents

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
Zero recoil, take the lightest 16" (ar15 regardless of caliber) you own, put it in his hands, and see where you stand with weight\length and build accordingly.

It won't be the recoil (I was shooting my dads m4 and beretta by 9 in the 90s, grsnted I was a BIG kid)..it will be the weight, and nose dive from length.

At the end of the day, start him like my dad did me, bench and pad first, and let him work into.

Supper jealous btw, my wife and I just now started down the road of starting a family in our 30s.

Just my two cents
He has been bench shooting for a couple of years now. He wants to move up into some movement drills. USPSA style mini courses. We have a nice home range. He is bored of the bench lol. He can handle recoil well. It’s the weapon weight and length that is the issue. That’s why I was thinking maybe a 9mm ar pistol with 8”-10” barrel would be perfect for him. He wants to shoot an ar but can’t handle the weight of a 16” and doesn’t like the sound of the pistol length 5.56.

Csbarr

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
Blythewood, SC
He has been bench shooting for a couple of years now. He wants to move up into some movement drills. USPSA style mini courses. We have a nice home range. He is bored of the bench lol. He can handle recoil well. It’s the weapon weight and length that is the issue. That’s why I was thinking maybe a 9mm ar pistol with 8”-10” barrel would be perfect for him. He wants to shoot an ar but can’t handle the weight of a 16” and doesn’t like the sound of the pistol length 5.56.

Totally understand and makes sense. You cut the whole gas system out with the 9mm ARs which is nice, and I would think as long as you used a light weight rail and a captured buffer spring the recoil "should" be good to go for him.

Would it be worth starting him off on a pistol 5.56 with a 22lr conversion to get him used to the weight/ movement?

MPDS13

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Belligerents
Mar 1, 2017
Tennessee
Sig MPX Pistol

I know this is not the cheapest option and is not technically AR pattern. But the ergonomics are extremely similar and has absolutely no recoil. Love mine, shoots so smooth and fast.

Lunchbox27

Professional whisky drinker
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2017
Mt. Airy, MD

The CMMG Banshee is a nice option. You could also get a 5” or 8” Faxon upper and run the CMMG mag conversion kit in your magpul pmags.

Reactions: HenryTheAce

perttime

Registered from Finland
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Finland
There's little actual "recoil" in a 9mm AR

BUT....
The typical blowback action with a big chunk of metal moving back and forth makes it bounce a bit.

Reactions: ddavis

eastexsteve

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
My 9 year old wants an AR-15. He loves shooting mine. It’s just a little too big for him to maneuver properly.

I have been wanting a 10.5” AR-9 pistol for awhile now. I thought it might be easier for my son and wife to plink with it instead of the AR-15. Wife could use it for home defense also.

I came across some articles saying that the AR-9 pistols actually have more recoil than a 223. Is this true? Any advice?
I just can’t imagine a 9mm having that much recoil. I shot a kel tec sub 2000 and it wasn’t bad at all.
I have an FX-9 (AR-9) with 16" barrel. It weighs in at under 6 lbs with no optic. I notice very little recoil at all. It's definitely the way to go for a plinker as 9mm ammo is super cheap compared to 5.56. And, that added barrel length seems to make those 9mm rounds really cook.

Csbarr

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
Blythewood, SC
I have an FX-9 (AR-9) with 16" barrel. It weighs in at under 6 lbs with no optic. I notice very little recoil at all. It's definitely the way to go for a plinker as 9mm ammo is super cheap compared to 5.56. And, that added barrel length seems to make those 9mm rounds really cook.
The problem he's going to have with any 16" options is the length/weight.....so shaving oz will make a huge difference in his son's ability to properly use.

8-10" barrel and an sba3 brace with a captured buffer spring should do it?

Reactions: HenryTheAce

eastexsteve

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
The problem he's going to have with any 16" options is the length/weight.....so shaving oz will make a huge difference in his son's ability to properly use.

8-10" barrel and an sba3 brace with a captured buffer spring should do it?
The 8" barrel option should shave some weight in the front, but he still needs to be able to shoot it like a rifle. That full 33 round magazine is going to add some weight though.

striped1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2010
Howard Lake, MN
Ultralight barrel with the PCC the shrouded one is the lightest. Using a pistol brace is problematic if you want to compete with it as most governing bodies won't allow the brace. The ACE type stock or an end plate stock goes a long way, but they do lack in a lot of adjustability. So if you need a short length of pull you may have to try a few options, but those are the lightest available. The MFT Battlelink Minimalist is a good, light adjustble one.

oldfatguy

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
There's little actual "recoil" in a 9mm AR

BUT....
The typical blowback action with a big chunk of metal moving back and forth makes it bounce a bit.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This

The Kel Tech recoil feels like more then the blowback CMMG MKG9. The Banshee RDB recoil impulse isn’t significantly less, but different.

OFG