Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
Hornady Precision Hunter Steel Challenge

August 22-23, 2020

The First Match Dedicated to Hunters...

Entry Fee: $250
Registration Opens March 1, 2020.

Staged throughout a scenic 144,000 acre ranch offering one of the greatest varieties of terrain, from tall timber to wide open sage to rolling hills and even near vertical high angles, Bradley Land & Livestock Co (also known as Rack & Reel) in Twin Bridges Montana was chosen as the premier host for the first Hornady Precision Hunters Steel Challenge precision rifle match. Elk, black bear, grizzly Bear, white tail deer, mule deer, antelope, sheep, wolf, coyotes, bobcat and even cougars roam the ranch's wilds. The Rack & Reel Ranch, nestled between four blue ribbon trout streams, is a destination all unto itself, and the perfect setting for our one-of-a-kind event.

Our match will test the entire rifleman's skill set as an individual and hunter. Top loader friendly, a low round count (not a barrel burner), with a fun course of fire that gives plenty of time between stages, this match offers a new experience for competitors, sportsmen, and hunters from all walks of life. A clean run through our match course could be as few as just 65 shots. And, our course date offers hunters the perfect time, and perfect place, to both validate and ready their long range precision rifle hunting skills prior to the season's start.
Our unique format means the general rules of the competition are super simple.

1. The only gear restrictions are rifle weight, and a minimum power factor.
    • Light Division, maximum 12lb rifle setup (rifle, optic, bipod, sling, unloaded magazine, etc.)
    • Heavy Division, maximum 16lbs rifle setup (rifle, optic, bipod, sling, unloaded magazine, etc.)
    • Minimum power factor is 380,000 (Bullet Grain Weight × Muzzle Velocity) examples:
      • 143 gr × 2670 fps = 381,810 > minimum, approved.
      • 105 gr × 2975 fps = 312,375 < minimum, NOT approved.
  2. Competitors will be required to carry all equipment through the entire course.
  3. The stages will be blind.
  4. Competitors will be put on the clock with all gear in the carry position, pack on the their back, rifles slung and all gear stowed.
  5. Binoculars may be carried by hand.
  6. Competitors will be required to find, range and engage all targets.
  7. Targets will be shot from near to far or from left to right.
  8. If there is only one target, and multiple positions, the order of the positions will be clearly identified.
  9. Initial targets in any array will have a bright hunters orange 2’x2’ placard within 10 feet.
  10. Targets will be 12” diamonds, hung from a t-post.
  11. Expect distances ranging from 300 to 1000 yards.
  12. Each shooting area will be large enough to allow the appropriate shooting positions for the distance of the target.
  13. Expect realistic use of terrain, i.e. trees, rocks, and prone shots.
  14. Targets will not be hidden or too difficult to find, but some observation skills will be required.
  15. Competitors will have 4 minute of clock time.
  16. Scoring will be 2-1 dead target scoring
    • 1st round hit is worth 2 points
    • 2nd round hit is worth 1 point
    • Once the target is hit, the target is neutralized. Example: First impact gets 2 points, shooter then moves to the next target or position. If the competitor missed their first shot, a second attempt is given. If the shooter connects on the second attempt, 1 point is awarded, and the shooter then moves to the next target or position. If the competitor misses both the 1st and 2nd shot, they move to the next target or position, and no points are awarded for that target.
    • ONLY 2 ATTEMPTS PER TARGET.
We are extremely excited to offer a new venue and new format, designed to engage hunters and test marksmanship in a long range competitive setting that all can participate and enjoy. If you attended the 2019 Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge, you may be familiar with the similar scoring method and Hunting Division that was offered for that match, but we're taking that a step further and making it all hunting with an even lighter weight class. If you have any questions, please feel free to message the Facebook page, or e-mail the Match Director, Scott Satterlee, at sstac2016@gmail.com.

Last edited:

357Max

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2019
Marylandistan
OP, Thanks for posting this. I'm new to this (haven't shot a match or had any formal training yet). Looks like a great event for a new shooter like myself.
Putting this on my calendar.
I'll be taking a 2 day class at the steyr academy in the next 2 months. Hope to get some additional training & possibly shoot another match of some kind before this.

Reactions: Ordnance Locker

GySgt Smith JE

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
This sounds like an amazing event to attend. I especially like that stages require skill of finding and ranging targets and not having everything handed to you before the stage. This should be an all around challenge of a shooters skill level.

B-P-UU

Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Yes, if it's suppressed then you need to include that into your weight calculation.
Looks like a great format. Why penalize guys for running cans by including it in the weight calc? Pound for pound, they aren't good recoil reducers. I can easily run a brake at a few ounces and add weight elsewhere to "game" the light division, but would rather shoot suppressed like I hunt.

That's the only change I would make.

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
Looks like a great format. Why penalize guys for running cans by including it in the weight calc? Pound for pound, they aren't good recoil reducers. I can easily run a brake at a few ounces and add weight elsewhere to "game" the light division, but would rather shoot suppressed like I hunt.

That's the only change I would make.
We're not penalizing anyone. The 16lb rule is based on the Idaho hunting rules regarding weight, which would include the suppressor. We maintained that same rule for the Hunting Division in the Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge. Chris Gittings ran a suppressor on a Masterpiece arms chassis and made it into the weight class for that match, and he tied for first place, so I'm pretty sure if you want to run suppressed and make weight you'll figure it out.

Last edited:

nrspence

Private
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2017
Beaver Utah
We're not penalizing anyone. The 16lb rule is based on the Idaho hunting rules regarding weight, which would include the suppressor. We maintained that same rule for the Hunting Division in the Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge. Chris Gittings ran a suppressor on a Masterpiece arms chassis and made it into the weight class for that match, and he tied for first place, so I'm pretty sure if you want to run suppressed and make weight you'll figure it out.
Sounds like I better start saving up for a proof carbon wrapped barrel.

B-P-UU

Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
I understand the reason for the rule, just giving my opinion is all. And changing gear just to make weight kinda defeats the purpose.. can't make everyone happy. Only way I could make weight with my suppressor is to swap scopes to a 10x compact NXS. I'd rather run a brake.. ha.

B-P-UU

Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
🤔 A hunting match with diamonds? Why not use some of the animal shaped targets? I know Vibberts steel company has a bunch.
Can't speak for the MD's, but likely to simulate the vital zone for deer/elk sized game, regardless of range. It's a pretty accurate representation without getting custom cut steel.

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
🤔 A hunting match with diamonds? Why not use some of the animal shaped targets? I know Vibberts steel company has a bunch.
@B-P-UU is tracking. We have plenty of animal steel, but the issue is really representing vital zones effectively at all distances and trying to keep the spirit of it also being a competitive rifle shooting match. At shorter yardages the targets would simply be too big and wouldn't pose enough of a challenge when you're getting wind calls off of targets that would be well in access of 10+ MOA. Using 12" targets was the best and logical solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-P-UU and nrspence

alpine44

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2010
North Carolina
@Ordnance Locker

Thanks for organizing something a little more practical than the PRS-type games.

Have you considered a third "old-school meat hunter" class with much tighter weight and time limits but at ranges that would be considered practical on anything you plan on putting in the freezer. This could be run on the same course with no need for modification. The long shots would only be educational for that class but not count for score.

There are enough events IMO where placing at the top boils down to making the right wind calls on very long shots. Something an ethical hunter would not gamble with in the first place. Past 600 yards, a 5mph error on the wind call will blow my 6.5 mm wiz-bang bullet from the boiler room into the shoulder or the guts. With roughly 1000 lbft of energy remaining at that distance, the loss of larger game like elk is almost guaranteed.

Also, a 16# gun is not what most folks would consider a viable mountain rifle and few real situations will grant you 4 minutes to get your act together.

Last edited:

Ordnance Locker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2019
@Ordnance Locker

Thanks for organizing something a little more practical than the PRS-type games.

Have you considered a third "old-school meat hunter" class with much tighter weight and time limits but at ranges that would be considered practical on anything you plan on putting in the freezer. This could be run on the same course with no need for modification. The long shots would only be educational for that class but not count for score.

There are enough events IMO where placing at the top boils down to making the right wind calls on very long shots. Something an ethical hunter would not gamble with in the first place. Past 600 yards, a 5mph error on the wind call will blow my 6.5 mm wiz-bang bullet from the boiler room into the shoulder or the guts. With roughly 1000 lbft of energy remaining at that distance, the loss of larger game like elk is almost guaranteed.

Also, a 16# gun is not what most folks would consider a viable mountain rifle and few real situations will grant you 4 minutes to get your act together.
Some people might disagree with you regarding the 12-16# rifle, however, that's why we also have an 12# or less light division. As for the time limit, it is still a match setting, so a reasonable time limit is necessary to get competitors through the stages and COF, period.