High power, low weight rifle scope like NX8 in SFP?

WEATHERBY460

Private
Belligerents
Jul 12, 2011
Since NF did not release a SFP 4-32 in NX8, I need to find something else. I want something that tracks great, since it will go on a 300 PRC. However, I would like it not to be as heavy as a ATACR, since its going on a 9lb hunting rifle. Prefer 20-32 power. The SHV i love, but wish it had higher power. Only thing I have found is the Viper PST 5-25. Are they any good?

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
You will find response to the PST II all over the board from "love it" to "hate it". I own the 5-25 and it has served me well for a sub $1k scope, no complaints given the price point. For SFP you have some options, but I'm not an SFP fan so will leave recommendations for others. I would say, give the NX8 4-32 a try as it doesn't seem to suffer from some of the issues the 2.5-20 suffers from and the Mil-C/XT reticles are done very well. Not sure if you can afford it but the new Schmidt Exos 3-21x50 with the DT II-B BDC turrets looks like a very interesting option for a SFP scope.

Schmdit Exos BDC turret.jpg

Reactions: Temper

carbonbased

1 MOA = 2 AAF
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
I own a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 that is pretty nice. I know Leupold gets bashed a lot here, but the VX-6HD/5HD series (SFP) and Mark 5HD series (FFP) are good scopes. Mind you, I’m not a turret twister, tall target tester, and PRS dude. I shoot varmints like prairie dogs. My sample had some CA, but Leupold fixed it.

I just noticed there is a VX-5HD 7-35x56 that has a MOA tree reticle.

The 6HD series has illumination, a slick integrated level, and comes with Leupold’s awesome caps. Both series have nice exposed and locking turrets.

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com
I shot the 3.5-21x50 Exos at range day and I have to admit, it is a really nice scope with a very clever new turret system.

Generally, if you want light weight and high magnification, March is a bit ahead of the curve there. Since you are looking for SFP, try their 2.5-25x52 model.

ILya

carbonbased

1 MOA = 2 AAF
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
@wjm308, he’s looking for SFP. The AMG, of which I just bought and have in my hot little hands, was the first suggestion that popped into my head, but FFP.

As ILya mentioned the March offerings, the OP should check those out if he has the cash. I’ve never used them, but the reviews I read are usually stellar. And ILya knows what the heck he’s talking about.

Last edited:

Denys

F-TR Competitor
Belligerents
Mar 26, 2012
Spring, TX
Since NF did not release a SFP 4-32 in NX8, I need to find something else. I want something that tracks great, since it will go on a 300 PRC. However, I would like it not to be as heavy as a ATACR, since its going on a 9lb hunting rifle. Prefer 20-32 power. The SHV i love, but wish it had higher power. Only thing I have found is the Viper PST 5-25. Are they any good?
If you can handle a little higher top end magnification, you might want to look at the March 5-50X56 with ED glass. It's a lot lighter than the ATACR at 30 ounces and has a minimum focus distance of 10 yards. It's built much stronger than the ATACR. I've had one on my F-TR rig for the last 6 years and 20,000 rounds over 100 competitions around the continent. It's been flawless.