Help with .224 Valkyrie guys/gals...

Jun 19, 2008
CO
So how many chambers are there out there for the 224V? I know this is happening to other rifles besides Savages, not saying Savage isn't in the wrong. Does anyone know what JP did to finally get it so that they are selling rifles? It seems that there is an ammo-chamber-barrel issue when it comes to popping primers and accuracy (at least to JP standards, though I've never heard of anyone complaining about JP 224V accuracy).

It looks promising overall, but I think I'll wait until the Hornady ammo comes out to see how that works out.

JesseB81

New Hide Member
May 1, 2018
I had high hopes but I am having the exact same experiences as Jonny’s reloading bench. The accuracy of the 90g SMK is horrible when I push them above 2500fps. I loaded up a test batch of Superformance and was excited when I had a nice tight group but at 2300fps. As the speed increased the groups went to shit. I’m sorry I bought s box of 500. I hope the 88g ELDM is better.

Sep 1, 2017
Perhaps you should call Federal and educate them then because they seal all of their primers for this reason. Any military ammo is also sealed for the same reason, to keep out moisture. No, a properly seated primer is not water tight.

As to the chamber, yes it's the chamber. Savage has even admitted this and recalled all of the rifles from dealers. Tight headspace and short freebore can both cause overpressure conditions and that's exactly whats happening.

You say crap Federal ammo but the irony is that this problem is centered around Savage rifles, no others. I'm a member of a few groups on Facebook for 224 valkyrie and nobody is having these problems except people with savages. Mine and my buddies Craddock barrels all hammer with factory Federal. Even the cheap American Eagle hovers around 3/4moa but has ES's of 40-50fps which is still tight for what's considered plinking ammo. The Gold Medal is sub half minute with ES's in the 20fps range and SD's below 10... So yes, totally crap ammo.

You bought a piece of shit rifle, got shitty results, and want to blame the ammo that people who bought quality rifles are getting good results from.
What craddock barrel were you guys running? It looks like they are reselling Bartlein, Criterion, and rock creek.

PLX65

Don't Worry Be Happy!!
Feb 5, 2018
Akron
Im not sure Savage has yet to admitted anything wrong with rifle. My dealer which has a few other stores still have them on the shelf and has not heard anything about a recall.

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
The JP's are great barrels, I just don't like the profile under the hand guard. Too thin if you're chasing accuracy. That's not to say that they aren't very accurate barrels though.

JesseB81

New Hide Member
May 1, 2018
I did get a surprise from federal in the mail yesterday. They sent me 100 brass because the quality was poor in the original I ordered. Thank you federal!

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
Can you provide evidence of this? I’ve not heard anything official that readers were out of spec. Although I did receive a short chambered barrel.
He's regurgitating shit he read. Not saying that there isn't something obviously wrong with the Savage chambers, but someone posted on a FB group that some rifles are being chambered with PTG reamers the have .047" longer freebore than SAAMI spec. Absolutely nothing to back it up, no mention of whether it was PTG who screwed up the reamer, builders order the reamer with that spec, or anything.

I wish people would not spread second hand information that they have absolutely no fucking clue about. It got reposted here twisting it even more with even less info, could easily be interpreted that EVERY Valkyrie reamer is wrong if they didn't see the FB post about it being PTG's that also is completely vague with no details.

Jun 19, 2008
CO
This is the correct reamer drawing that matches the SAAMI spec drawing. It's pretty easy to check your chamber. Don't wait for someone to prove it to you check it yourself. The 1.6767 dimension is the distance from the base to the start of the freebore. Take a .224" diameter inspection pin. Cut it in half, 1" long. stick it in a Hornady OAL gauge. Measure from the front of the inspection pin to the base and there's your number. IMG_1049.JPG

Last edited:
Can you provide evidence of this? I’ve not heard anything official that readers were out of spec. Although I did receive a short chambered barrel.
Official? Like a press release? uh...no. Some times old smiths/wildcatters find stuff before these new out of school big company inganeers do. Up until now everyone has been blaming Federals ammo. A few engineers at Federal know about the reamers as of last week. Just wait and watch it'll all come out.
ETA- The reamers in question have a longer freebore which usually means less pressure and would likely NOT be the cause of blowing primers. Blown primers can be a few things, excess pressure, too much headspace or a barrel that is WAY over gassed or a combination of those 3. In the case of being over-gassed If the carrier starts to move to the rear and unlocks the bolt while the bullet is still in the bore the pressure is high and the case is stuck to the chamber walls due to the pressure. The case has not had time to shrink back down. The bolt moves away from the case and the pressure inside the case pushes the primer out.

Last edited:

JesseB81

New Hide Member
May 1, 2018
Constructor, thank you for your valuable information. I purchased a pathfinder barrel from airborne arms. I have a freebore of 1.8175 meaning my case overall length with a 90g smk would have to be 2.3215 to touch the lands. Obviously this is out of spec. I reached out to them and they informed me they do not use PTG reamers. They aren’t saying what blanks or reamers they are using but I assume it’s a Manson.

Now I’m curious, who does an out of spec ream job fall back on?
The barrel maker, who ever reamed the barrel. They should have checked the reamer for accuracy before using it.

The reamer grinder should have checked their work before shipping it out but highly unlikely the tool maker will pay the barrel maker for bad barrels.

To some this right or wrong freebore will not make any difference, if they are happy with the performance of the barrel.

....I'm probably like most of the general consumers in that I'd prefer that whatever brand of barrel I use will perform as touted with the heavy projectiles it was developed around, most especially the off the shelf offerings. Although I do reload, I'm at the age now where convenience has become more of a priority than before. My re-posting of the info discovered on the 224Valkyrie forum was not intended to disparage any barrel maker, distributor or reseller, it was to provide newly discovered information that the general consumer could use in their buying decision. The greater majority of the market is comprised of those that rely on off the shelf products, primarily because they really have no choice due to a lack of technical knowledge and expertise. When a source that DOES have the technical acumen (Constructor) identifies a problem and shares that info, the general consumer can benefit from it, even those involved in the supply chain can benefit from it as not all within the supply chain are involved in the complete process of the final end product (completed barrel).

You got a good barrel, happy for you....your barrel isn't performing, here is info you can use to investigate as a possible factor, you haven't bought a barrel yet, here is additional info to add to your research to make a decision.

Top Bottom